The Student Room Group

IB and Conditional Offers

This forum has plenty of posts regarding people missing their conditional offers by one A Level grade, but I get the impression it might be different with IB scores (36 vs. 35 does not seem as different to me as AAB vs. ABB)

I have a conditional offer at York for 36 and have obtained 35 in my examinations (November sessions so results back early)

Rejections have come in from Oxford and the LSE and I'm waiting to hear from Durham and Edinburgh.

Would it be worth the time and getting hopes up to firm a 36 offer with a 35 or am I out of the running altogether?

I know it varies case per case but in your own personal opinion (IB experience is obviously a huge credential).

I'm applying for PPE in case that's helpful.

Cheers
Obviously depends on your other offers, but if you were left with York as your only option then it couldn't do any harm to firm it. My understanding is that they would wait until results day for the UK A levels and then if there were still places on the course they would compare your results with other "firmers" who had just missed their offer, and either reject or accept you.

Also depends a bit on the individual subject scores, particularly at HL, assuming they are relevant to your degree choice.
Reply 2
Original post by killerhales
Obviously depends on your other offers, but if you were left with York as your only option then it couldn't do any harm to firm it. My understanding is that they would wait until results day for the UK A levels and then if there were still places on the course they would compare your results with other "firmers" who had just missed their offer, and either reject or accept you.

Also depends a bit on the individual subject scores, particularly at HL, assuming they are relevant to your degree choice.

That makes sense, thanks. I remember reading something about contacting the admissions department and pleading your case? Or is it too soon for that.
Original post by Eldedu
That makes sense, thanks. I remember reading something about contacting the admissions department and pleading your case? Or is it too soon for that.

What you could do is send a more kind of "neutral" email, simply summarising the situation, and enquire about how the process will work from here. At least you will have some clarity on the situation.

As mentioned in one of the other threads, "pleading your case" is pretty pointless.

Good Luck!
Reply 4
Original post by killerhales
What you could do is send a more kind of "neutral" email, simply summarising the situation, and enquire about how the process will work from here. At least you will have some clarity on the situation.

As mentioned in one of the other threads, "pleading your case" is pretty pointless.

Good Luck!

Understood, and thanks!
Reply 5
Don't risk it without consulting the uni first; my classmate didn't get admitted to St Andrews because he missed the offer by one point (offer 37, got 36). He had to take a gap year and reapply the following year.
Reply 6
Original post by All-in
Don't risk it without consulting the uni first; my classmate didn't get admitted to St Andrews because he missed the offer by one point (offer 37, got 36). He had to take a gap year and reapply the following year.

Will not do so.

Did he retake or did he get in the following year on 36, out of curiosity?
Reply 7
Hi!
So I had a quite similar issue last year, actually.
I got an offer for Law from QMUL, for 36 points on the IB with 6 6 6 at HL. Instead, I got 37 points with 7 6 5 at HL, which IMO was the same/ if not better than what my offer was; I phoned them, and they told me they couldn't confirm my place until they got the A-Level results. So I waited until the 18th of August, and then they phoned me and told me that unfortunately they had made too many offers, too many people had achieved the EXACT conditions of the offer, and they could not accept a SINGLE candidate that did not achieve those very exact terms, and I was like..... >:[
However, they did tell me to please please please reapply next year and that they would give me an unconditional. So that's what I did, except that I got one of my papers re-graded in the meantime and now have 38, so I'm applying to QMUL as my backup. Evil *****es. :smile:

I think probably your course at York is less demanded than Law at QM, so possibly you stand a better chance! One point off in the IB is really not that big of a deal, and they should still accept you UNLESS they've overbooked their course. Best of luck to you! :smile:
Reply 8
it's better to call them and ask before firming :smile:

did you think about re-siting a subject in may?
Reply 9
Original post by Eldedu
Will not do so.

Did he retake or did he get in the following year on 36, out of curiosity?

He was promised an unconditional offer if he reapplied again the following year.
Reply 10
Original post by Pavlina
Hi!
So I had a quite similar issue last year, actually.
I got an offer for Law from QMUL, for 36 points on the IB with 6 6 6 at HL. Instead, I got 37 points with 7 6 5 at HL, which IMO was the same/ if not better than what my offer was; I phoned them, and they told me they couldn't confirm my place until they got the A-Level results. So I waited until the 18th of August, and then they phoned me and told me that unfortunately they had made too many offers, too many people had achieved the EXACT conditions of the offer, and they could not accept a SINGLE candidate that did not achieve those very exact terms, and I was like..... >:[
However, they did tell me to please please please reapply next year and that they would give me an unconditional. So that's what I did, except that I got one of my papers re-graded in the meantime and now have 38, so I'm applying to QMUL as my backup. Evil *****es. :smile:

I think probably your course at York is less demanded than Law at QM, so possibly you stand a better chance! One point off in the IB is really not that big of a deal, and they should still accept you UNLESS they've overbooked their course. Best of luck to you! :smile:

Thanks for the advice, and best of luck to you also!
Reply 11
Original post by Superwoman
it's better to call them and ask before firming :smile:

did you think about re-siting a subject in may?

I did, actually, but when I asked at my school they had no clue how it was done. If you have any information on what to do to resit I'd appreciate that hugely!
Reply 12
Original post by All-in
He was promised an unconditional offer if he reapplied again the following year.

That's the second case in this thread where an unconditional the following year has been promised. Is this standard practice? I'd never heard of it.
Reply 13
Original post by Eldedu
I did, actually, but when I asked at my school they had no clue how it was done. If you have any information on what to do to resit I'd appreciate that hugely!

the school has to register you with the IB. go speak to your IB coordinator, he must know surely! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending