The Student Room Group

Pharmacy at Cardiff

Hi all,
I'm currently doing A-levels in Chemistry & Biology, in the hope of getting onto the Pharmacy degree course at Cardiff. As a mature student, I've been told provisionally that I would probably be accepted with BB, but that I also need to get work experience in a pharmacy. This is a bit difficult as I have 3 kids and I'm working.
Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys are currently studying Pharmacy at Cardiff, and if so, what the workload is like and how hard it is? I think I may struggle to get a B in chemistry, as I am doing it flexi-study and finding it difficult. My dilemma is, if I am struggling with the chemistry at A-level, will I be able to cope with the degree course? I realise it will be a different environment, and also I won't be working so I will have more time (theoretically!). I did chemistry A-level years ago when I was in school and got a D, but I only did 2 week's revision. I am more prepared to put the work in now, but still find it hard with no-one to explain it to me.
Cardiff is my only option as it is close to home and I can't move with all my kids! I really want to do Pharmacy, and if Cardiff reject me, I won't be able to do it. I know I'm not applying until next year, but any tips on interview technique etc would help, as I am trying to do my research well in advance to be as prepared as possible.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Im in my third year at Cardiff and got BCC at A Levels (one of the C's was Chemistry). Even though they ask for a minimum of a B, if you are very enthusiastic about the subject, they do tend to waver it. I didnt even have to go through clearing for my place, and I really believe they gave me the place because of my enthusiasm.

Even though I struggled at A Level Chemistry, I find that I manage the chemistry given to us. The main reason is because the lecturers are so good (I had an awful A Level Chemistry teacher) and really know how to explain it, but also because its relevant. I found being taught such boring things at A Level lost my interest in it. But at Uni, the chemistry is always applied to Pharmacy so it keeps you interested, and you find you actually want to learn it!

The workload can be a bit intimidating (it builds up each year) but you will also find that you dont have full days everyday. You may sometimes get a 9-5 day, but then others you might be 9-1, even 9-12. This does allow time for extra reading, researching, doing coursework, studying. I will say that the timetables are very good each year, even if sometimes you do get a few 9 o clock starts each week. Another good thing (although i'm not recommending it!!) is that even though practical work (eg in the lab) and workshops are compulsory, lectures aren't, so if with your family you really couldnt make it to a few lectures, no one is going to follow you up. I myself live at home (40 min train journey) so I do lose time travelling each day, but I find it fine to keep up with.

Even though experience is not compulsory, it does look good when you go for an interview. Is there any chance you could even spend a couple of sessions in a Pharmacy? This is better than nothing, shows enthusiasm and can give you the edge over students who try getting a place because maybe they didnt get the grades to do another subject. Cardiff interviews are very informal and generally test the knowledge you already have on Pharmacy. There are loads of posts on here from people who have had interviews this year, so I recommend you read those.

I hope ive answered everything you've asked, but please feel free to post again or send me a message (is this possible?Im pretty new to this place!) if you have any other questions. I'll help however I can as I was in a very similar position to you when I started uni.

Latest

Trending

Trending