The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
It is reasonable, and he expects me to turn it down during the day.

He shouted at me yesterday.
People on this forum have a real problem with me. People consistently misinterpret what I say and, often, I feel completely idiotic when people criticise me constantly or poke fun at my literal interpretation of comments. Cyber-bullying and real-life bullying have been issues throughout my whole life. I just wish I had someone to talk to that wasn't ready to ridicule me or backstab me. *sigh* Sorry for the rant, but I need help...
Butt secs 3----
Original post by member591354
People on this forum have a real problem with me. People consistently misinterpret what I say and, often, I feel completely idiotic when people criticise me constantly or poke fun at my literal interpretation of comments. Cyber-bullying and real-life bullying have been issues throughout my whole life. I just wish I had someone to talk to that wasn't ready to ridicule me or backstab me. *sigh* Sorry for the rant, but I need help...

Don't let it affect you babe. Who cares what people say? Those who matter don't mind and those who mind, don't matter.

I know exactly how you feel - I tend to make logical connotations rather than emotional when I post something and it often results in people making judgements on me that are completely wrong. I'm considering deleting my account and just browsing instead x
Reply 785
Gosh, the amount of effort required for real life friendship is astounding, getting 3-4 people to meet up in a group for a bit of a social is somewhat of a task. Probably why I never bother with people, far too much effort required and then you get let down regardless.
Original post by Anon420
Gosh, the amount of effort required for real life friendship is astounding, getting 3-4 people to meet up in a group for a bit of a social is somewhat of a task. Probably why I never bother with people, far too much effort required and then you get let down regardless.

And this is why I leave it to other people.:tongue:
Reply 787
Original post by Anonymous
And this is why I leave it to other people.:tongue:

If I left my social interaction plans to other people, there wouldn't be many, if not any.

I believe to get things in life, you have to grab them; however... I'm not so sure social interaction with other humans on a personal level is worth the effort. I fight with my autism on this, I sometimes try too hard and give up, kind of feels like that with some people in my life right now.
Original post by Anon420

I'm very similar in nature. I devote my time and effort to academia; I mostly ignore social interactions nowadays.
I'm very similar in nature. I devote my time and effort to academia; I mostly ignore social interactions nowadays.

Same. Am meant to be going out tonight; but might have to cancel it.:frown: Walked into something at work and have a bit of a sore head.:frown:
Reply 790
Hey guys, anyone here at University of Liverpool?
Reply 791
Eugh, cannot wait till uni's done this term :sigh:
Hey, I have AS, as well as dyspraxia and an eye condition that pretty much makes me blind in one eye. I got diagnosed when I was young - I'm now eighteen. I also suffer from depression, which I got diagnosed with last year, although I'd been feeling that way for years.

I can't make eye contact with people, I can't think of the right things to say sometimes, usually my tone doesn't match how I want others to hear it, I can't read without my glasses or see things other people point out to me, and I'm clumsy as ****.

I've handled things alright though. My friends back home didn't really care if I was disabled or not. My social life hasn't really suffered - I think I've had all the experiences a normal teenager has. I don't really tell people I have all of those things. There was one case where a girl asked me which neurological condition I had, which was weird as I'd only met her ten minutes prior. And my eyesight is really obviously bad, so I can't exactly hide that. This is the first time I've admitted to having AS in five years.

Academically I have trouble expressing myself verbally and sometimes even in writing. I'm working on it though. I want to do something politics related when I graduate.
Hello

I've been thinking. Do any of you lot wonder when you will have a relationship? I believe that been an aspie has put up walls for me. I'm going to be honest: I don't really understand hair styles, clothing or anything like that. I'm pretty much just me. But I feel as if I'm not ever going to attract any guy ever (I am a girl btw). I put it down to my asperger's.

Has anyone got any tips regarding this?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 794
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

I've been thinking. Do any of you lot wonder when you will have a relationship? I believe that been an aspie has put up walls for me. I'm going to be honest: I don't really understand hair styles, clothing or anything like that. I'm pretty much just me. But I feel as if I'm not ever going to attract any guy ever (I am a girl btw). I put it down to my asperger's.

Has anyone got any tips regarding this?

Thanks! :smile:

I also wonder when I'm going to get into a relationship :tongue: . Doesn't help that I have very poor social skills and no friends :sad:
Original post by Dippy Dip
Hey, I have AS, as well as dyspraxia and an eye condition that pretty much makes me blind in one eye.

I can't make eye contact with people

Could that partly be due to your eye condition? I find that due to my eye condition, making eye contact is physically painful. And a bit difficult when I know that it's obvious that I have a problem with my eyes.

I can't think of the right things to say sometimes, usually my tone doesn't match how I want others to hear it, I can't read without my glasses or see things other people point out to me, and I'm clumsy as ****.

Same! My father insists on saying "it's over there" and he'll point. Where's there?

There was one case where a girl asked me which neurological condition I had, which was weird as I'd only met her ten minutes prior. And my eyesight is really obviously bad, so I can't exactly hide that. This is the first time I've admitted to having AS in five years.

I've had similar. (she asked if I was Autistic, after about 5 minutes) To make it worse, I hadn't had a diagnosis yet; so couldn't exactly say yes or no.

I do wonder when I'll have a relationship. However, part of me doesn't care that much about having a relationship. I have other things to focus on.
Hi,

Just a question about getting tested/diagnosed? I sometimes wonder if I have Asperger's (Number of reasons including scores on empathy test (16) and AQ test (33) (and yes I know, tests can't always be trusted) and someone I know whose familiar with the disorder has told me I do display a number of the symptoms. I do feel it does affect me sometimes, and I feel like if I knew whether or not I had it, it would help me deal with my issues better.

I managed to work up the courage and go to my doctor about it and she told me that I did seem to be displaying some of the signs she knew about it but that I was coping well enough not to send me to a psychiatrist (based on me recording lectures due to my short attention span in that environment). Normally I would accept this, but when I pointed out that there was a local clinic that dealt with diagnosing Autism and Asperger's, particularly in adults, that required a simple referral, she was really surprised and wasn't aware that it existed and that she'd have to look it up. This makes me feel like I should see someone else, but I'm not sure its worth it. I'm not very good at talking about my private life and such and it was so hard to do it the first time, I don't know if its worth it trying again? My mum (although my brother and nephew are Autistic) treats me like I'm stupid whenever I discuss my worries with her, but I've heard her tell my sister that she thinks something is wrong with me.

I don't know whether I should carry on trying to deal with it on my own, or whether I should work it up and try again at the doctors. What were your experiences in getting diagnosed? Any advice? Or anyone I can talk to that might be able to help? I know there is a good chance I might not have it, but I'd rather know either way, so that I can try and find the path that works best for me.

Thank you.
Original post by avhhs
I also wonder when I'm going to get into a relationship :tongue: . Doesn't help that I have very poor social skills and no friends :sad:

Ahh yes someone who feels similar! I feel as if I'm going to be inexperienced forever.
Getting a diagnosis as an adult is difficult. I live in Plymouth and the closest adult service is Southampton. My GP has had to speak to the child development centre to see where he can actually send me. He's a trainee and isn't sure what he has to do. Between getting screened and getting a diagnosis, a friend waited 7 years. Ouch!
Original post by Chich1994
Hey guys, anyone here at University of Liverpool?

I am :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest