The Student Room Group

The Revamped TSR Asperger's Society!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexs2602
Jesus. Took 5 months for diagnosis? What is this? I just got referred to a "mental health psychologist" but I can't wait for 5 months for a diagnosis. I need to know I have it now so I can get the support I need. Do these people not realise how big of an imposition that is?

I had two appointments with them. Mum works nights, so can only make appointments on certain days.

Neither parent could come for the first appointment. Mum was working and dad had just had his appendix out.
I was diagnosed just 6 months ago at the age of 24. It was suspected by some people so I just went along by myself to check it out, turns out I do have Aspergers. Nothing changed in my life really... Just did it for peace of mind really.
Do people on here mention their asperger's, as a disability, on application forms?
Original post by keromedic
Do people on here mention their asperger's, as a disability, on application forms?

I don't have much choice; because I will need adjustments and stuff.
Original post by keromedic

No. Most people don't understand what Aspergers is and in all fairness declaring your Aspergers on an application form will most likely hinder your chances despite the fact you're probably twice as smart as everyone else applying.

I applied to GCHQ's graduate scheme and I mentioned I had Aspergers but despite getting a 1st in mathematics with my graduate studies in theoretical physics they still refused my application. When they phoned me to discuss my application they didn't even mention my qualifications, only that I had Aspergers and to explain how that could limit me in the work place.

Limit me? Pffft quite the opposite in fact. Point being don't declare it, there is no need...
Original post by KeepYourChinUp
No. Most people don't understand what Aspergers is and in all fairness declaring your Aspergers on an application form will most likely hinder your chances despite the fact you're probably twice as smart as everyone else applying.

I applied to GCHQ's graduate scheme and I mentioned I had Aspergers but despite getting a 1st in mathematics with my graduate studies in theoretical physics they still refused my application. When they phoned me to discuss my application they didn't even mention my qualifications, only that I had Aspergers and to explain how that could limit me in the work place.

Limit me? Pffft quite the opposite in fact. Point being don't declare it, there is no need...

I see. I hadn't thought it'd be a hindrance. I'm sorry that you had such a negative experience with the graduate scheme :frown:.

A friend of mine took a well known company to tribunal because he claimed that he'd been refused a job on the basis of his Aspergers.

As for it limiting you in the workplace - I think only you know whether it really will or not.
Fed up having no friends. I'm not a weird person at all. My classmates just can't be bothered. I'm actually shocked at how selfish they are.

For example, we went to a university open day and I walked around the whole university by myself and not one of them even said do you want to walk with us. Maybe thats a bit selfish but still. I text a few people and I have even told some people about my condition and the reply I get is "oh rite". They just don't care about me. Everyone I talk to about my failings at making friendships just makes up a pile of crap like "be positive" or " you only have six months". I feel like saying to my councillor "that is an excuse because you can't be bothered".They don't care and can't be bothered with me at all.

I try my hardest but its just so hard. (Even the rare time that I do get a conversation people get bored of me)People have their friend groups long ago in upper sixth and they are closed up. It really hurts when I see people partying or talking about parties and then I don't get invited. I am a teenager I am just like them! I don't understand what I did to ever be in this position.

It really hurts and It takes me to 2am everynight to get to sleep because I sit up thinking about it. I even tried writing a status about how nobody ever bothers with me and that I feel like crap and nobody said anything. I don't know how people can be so cold!

I even spoke to my head of year and she did nothing. I want friends I want to feel loved and I want to be confident, I don't want to be aloner all my life. I just feel like a complete loser right now and I hate this awful pathetic condition- its an invisible posion!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Is there anyone here who was diagnosed as a teenager or adult? Anyone who sought out diagnosis personally rather than had it suggested by parents/family/other people?

Me and I can't absorb it all. I was diagnosed at 16 and its all new to me.
Original post by Frostyjoe
Fed up having no friends. I'm not a weird person at all. My classmates just can't be bothered. I'm actually shocked at how selfish they are.

For example, we went to a university open day and I walked around the whole university by myself and not one of them even said do you want to walk with us. Maybe thats a bit selfish but still. I text a few people and I have even told some people about my condition and the reply I get is "oh rite". They just don't care about me. Everyone I talk to about my failings at making friendships just makes up a pile of crap like "be positive" or " you only have six months". I feel like saying to my councillor "that is an excuse because you can't be bothered".They don't care and can't be bothered with me at all.

I try my hardest but its just so hard. (Even the rare time that I do get a conversation people get bored of me)People have their friend groups long ago in upper sixth and they are closed up. It really hurts when I see people partying or talking about parties and then I don't get invited. I am a teenager I am just like them! I don't understand what I did to ever be in this position.

It really hurts and It takes me to 2am everynight to get to sleep because I sit up thinking about it. I even tried writing a status about how nobody ever bothers with me and that I feel like crap and nobody said anything. I don't know how people can be so cold!

I even spoke to my head of year and she did nothing. I want friends I want to feel loved and I want to be confident, I don't want to be aloner all my life. I just feel like a complete loser right now and I hate this awful pathetic condition- its an invisible posion!

I know it's very frustrating for people like yourself who want friends. People are not cold, they just don't understand you and people are 'scared' of what they don't understand. Let's say you're sitting in a room with people and they mention a day out somewhere, just pipe up and say "yeh, that would be awesome" that immediately invites yourself to the event. Let them see that you are just like them, once they realise you're fun to be around they will invite you next time around.

If that don't work then you may just have to accept this is what your life will be. I do not claim to be a psychologist by any standards lol but I am 24 years old now and have not had a single friend since I was about 12 and I could not be happier.

It may seem daunting at first but from my experience it worked wonders. Rather than finding a person to be your friend, try to explore other chanels. 99% of people I speak to do not understand but for me Mathematics, physics and cosmology are my friends. I think about them all day, I dream about them, I spend hours a day learning about it. It's the best friend I could ever hope for. It gives me much more joy than any person could.

At the end of the day I am incapable of feeling what you're feeling at the moment, my only advice is that having real life friends isn't the only route. Don't be bogged down because people are too narrow minded to give you a chance.
(edited 10 years ago)
99% of people I speak to do not understand but for me Mathematics, physics and cosmology are my friends. I think about them all day, I dream about them, I spend hours a day learning about it. It's the best friend I could ever hope for. It gives me much more joy than any person could.

I feel pretty much the same, except for me its my computer I feel close to, or technology in general. Speak for myself since I never use my mobile phone apart from important texts and calls not small talk from family or anything like that. Now and again my computer will start to stop functioning properly but I have the knowhow to maintain these things. I am hoping to go into artificial intelligence or neural networks so that involves computers.

But my condition gets in the way of my work, even though I have no friends to talk to, well I don't consider university staff friends, but more to the point I don't have the ability to concentrate and many obstacles get in my way like the flu, noisy halls especially during the night, and overall depressed state i'm in when I go to lectures/sessions. There is only a couple of units that involve the need to communicate in groups and unfortunately I only come to have known one person in all of my sessions and he's not really someone to relate to, could say the opposite to the position I am in.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel pretty much the same, except for me its my computer I feel close to, or technology in general. Speak for myself since I never use my mobile phone apart from important texts and calls not small talk from family or anything like that. Now and again my computer will start to stop functioning properly but I have the knowhow to maintain these things. I am hoping to go into artificial intelligence or neural networks so that involves computers.

But my condition gets in the way of my work, even though I have no friends to talk to, well I don't consider university staff friends, but more to the point I don't have the ability to concentrate and many obstacles get in my way like the flu, noisy halls especially during the night, and overall depressed state i'm in when I go to lectures/sessions. There is only a couple of units that involve the need to communicate in groups and unfortunately I only come to have known one person in all of my sessions and he's not really someone to relate to, could say the opposite to the position I am in.

I too have a sort of connection with my computer, it's like the central part of my life and everything else revolves around it. What are you studying?
I know it's very frustrating for people like yourself who want friends. People are not cold, they just don't understand you and people are 'scared' of what they don't understand. Let's say you're sitting in a room with people and they mention a day out somewhere, just pipe up and say "yeh, that would be awesome" that immediately invites yourself to the event. Let them see that you are just like them, once they realise you're fun to be around they will invite you next time around.

If that don't work then you may just have to accept this is what your life will be. I do not claim to be a psychologist by any standards lol but I am 24 years old now and have not had a single friend since I was about 12 and I could not be happier.

It may seem daunting at first but from my experience it worked wonders. Rather than finding a person to be your friend, try to explore other chanels. 99% of people I speak to do not understand but for me Mathematics, physics and cosmology are my friends. I think about them all day, I dream about them, I spend hours a day learning about it. It's the best friend I could ever hope for. It gives me much more joy than any person could.

At the end of the day I am incapable of feeling what you're feeling at the moment, my only advice is that having real life friends isn't the only route. Don't be bogged down because people are too narrow minded to give you a chance.

I don't know I think my classmates find me weird or odd because I don't really talk. I'm not really sure what they think of me but thats what I think they think. :redface: It really is hard and to be honest I don't think any of them are the least bit interested at all, there were a few who I tried with i.e. texted and they just ignored my text messages it's been a week since then and they have not bothered so clearly they do not care which is just sad. I don't understand why no one is interested in me. I recognise that people did try with me in the past but I was about 5 years younger than now and didn't realise, I wouldn't have been able to cope anyway. Sometimes people say hello to me but I don't really get the point of that, I think some of them think that they will become friends with me through that but for me saying Hello is pointless, if you want to become my friend you talk to me and invite me down the street or something - saying hello is kind of a waste of time because thats not the way I work (with the condition) - and i'm not being arrogant I just can't develop a friendship from saying hello. I sit in the library most lunches and I find it incredibly boring, many of my classmates come in and do a duty and they see me sitting on my own and never come over to talk. It concerns me that not one person seems to care that i'm on my own all the time. I mean seriously why do they not care? I'm not boring at all. I just can't understand the cold attitude. I think perhaps they find me too closed.

Another thing related to this that annoys me is when teachers ask people to pick others to answer questions in class. My teachers are obsessed with this and I nearly always end up being last, it is really uncomfortable for me. I think one of the teachers sees that I have no friends and is trying to forge relationships but really she's just making me very anxious and uncomfortable. I'm too embarrassed to say anything as she is the kind of person who will get the classmates to pick me which will draw negative attention to me.

I speak to a teacher in my school and shes always telling me to send out a positive vibe but honestly its a waste of time they just don't give a ****.

Honestly though I really really need to get a few friends because i'm not like this and I hate it. I can't cope with it and I sit up to 2am at night thinking about it, I want to feel like people are interested in me. I don't know how i'm going to cope for the next year without losing it. I can't cope with being lonely anymore and i'm fed up of being damn positive because nothing every happens!
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't know I think my classmates find me weird or odd because I don't really talk. I'm not really sure what they think of me but thats what I think they think. :redface: It really is hard and to be honest I don't think any of them are the least bit interested at all, there were a few who I tried with i.e. texted and they just ignored my text messages it's been a week since then and they have not bothered so clearly they do not care which is just sad. I don't understand why no one is interested in me. I recognise that people did try with me in the past but I was about 5 years younger than now and didn't realise, I wouldn't have been able to cope anyway. Sometimes people say hello to me but I don't really get the point of that, I think some of them think that they will become friends with me through that but for me saying Hello is pointless, if you want to become my friend you talk to me and invite me down the street or something - saying hello is kind of a waste of time because thats not the way I work (with the condition) - and i'm not being arrogant I just can't develop a friendship from saying hello. I sit in the library most lunches and I find it incredibly boring, many of my classmates come in and do a duty and they see me sitting on my own and never come over to talk. It concerns me that not one person seems to care that i'm on my own all the time. I mean seriously why do they not care? I'm not boring at all. I just can't understand the cold attitude. I think perhaps they find me too closed.

Another thing related to this that annoys me is when teachers ask people to pick others to answer questions in class. My teachers are obsessed with this and I nearly always end up being last, it is really uncomfortable for me. I think one of the teachers sees that I have no friends and is trying to forge relationships but really she's just making me very anxious and uncomfortable. I'm too embarrassed to say anything as she is the kind of person who will get the classmates to pick me which will draw negative attention to me.

I speak to a teacher in my school and shes always telling me to send out a positive vibe but honestly its a waste of time they just don't give a ****.

Honestly though I really really need to get a few friends because i'm not like this and I hate it. I can't cope with it and I sit up to 2am at night thinking about it, I want to feel like people are interested in me. I don't know how i'm going to cope for the next year without losing it. I can't cope with being lonely anymore and i'm fed up of being damn positive because nothing every happens!

Did you read my other posts?

You have to remember that people are nervous too, ever since I can remember people, especially students have been cautious to approach 'ousiders' because they fear this will give them the profile of an outsider too. Most students don't know how to ask if someone is ok and therefor tend to ignore them.

People are drawn to certain types of people and unfortunately our kind are far outweighed by others. Have you tried joining a society? Rather than wait for people to approach you, why not approach them?

Go to a lecture and just sit a seat away from someone, then part way though the lecture lean over and ask him a question about the lecture, even if you know the answer. After doing this a few times you'll be able to walk into a lecture and say hi to someone and sit with them.

Sometimes the best way to make contacts or friends is to force yourself onto them in such a way that they have no option but to talk to you or get to know you.

I highly doubt it is the case where you sit next to someone and they totally ignore you and move away from you, unless you're doing something you're unaware of like coughing over them, you stink or you go on and on and on about something. I think it's more the case that you expect to say hello, how are you and then boom you've made a friend.

Next time the lecturer says find someone to work with, just look to your left or right and say "me and you?" and I bet my life he will say yes, and the reason is because he will be too embarrassed to say no, and it's rude.

He will only say no if you possess any of the negative charactarists I mentioned obove, or unless he has a regular partner.
(edited 10 years ago)
Did you read my other posts?

You have to remember that people are nervous too, ever since I can remember people, especially students have been cautious to approach 'ousiders' because they fear this will give them the profile of an outsider too. Most students don't know how to ask if someone is ok and therefor tend to ignore them.

People are drawn to certain types of people and unfortunately our kind are far outweighed by others. Have you tried joining a society? Rather than wait for people to approach you, why not approach them?

Go to a lecture and just sit a seat away from someone, then part way though the lecture lean over and ask him a question about the lecture, even if you know the answer. After doing this a few times you'll be able to walk into a lecture and say hi to someone and sit with them.

Sometimes the best way to make contacts or friends is to force yourself onto them in such a way that they have no option but to talk to you or get to know you.

I highly doubt it is the case where you sit next to someone and they totally ignore you and move away from you, unless you're doing something you're unaware of like coughing over them, you stink or you go on and on and on about something. I think it's more the case that you expect to say hello, how are you and then boom you've made a friend.

Next time the lecturer says find someone to work with, just look to your left or right and say "me and you?" and I bet my life he will say yes, and the reason is because he will be too embarrassed to say no, and it's rude.

He will only say no if you possess any of the negative charactarists I mentioned obove, or unless he has a regular partner.

I don't know i've tried everything. I don't think they are interested in the least bit and tbh it's quite obvious. I've tried everything and it's just depressing me now. What irritates me is that they know full well that I have no friends and they never bother with me. IDC about having friends; what is bothering me is when next year I leave sixth form and i'm on my own, I don't want to be lonely and I don't want to be a loser. This has fully shattered my confidence and made me feel like a loser. Sometimes I feel completely isolated and like some sort of loser/loner, all I want to do is cry and hide in a corner. There doesn't seem to be any solution, they just don't care. It's clear at this stage of the year that it is not gonna happen. (I mean it's November if they were going to come to me they would've came by now). It's really sad. It kind of makes me a bit angry sometimes, especially when I write a really heartfelt status and no one comments - it's kind of like 'who the **** do you lot think you are, have you got a carrot up your ass or something?'. There is a lot of rivalry and bitching in my year-group and I feel as though there may be some people out there who just might see me on my own but are too scared to come forward because they couldn't cope with the bullying (not really worth it for one person really I can see why). On the other-hand there might not be anyone - i'm not really sure to be honest. I think they've just given up and don't give a ****e or else they never gave a ****e. It doesn't surprise me though as I have been told about a very smart female who is being bullied because of her intelligence, the things that have been said to her are absolutely disgusting and I am completely horrified by it. I would not like to know what they say about me as I suspect some of them will have very nasty,vindictive words to say.

An example of how nasty they are - We have regular lectures in this room 'lecture theatre (duh lol) ' I walked into the room sat down in a row, the whole row was for me and not one person sat down beside me. I nearly died of embarrassment and was ready to cry, I don't typically cry in school (I have a strong will power due to all the bullying) so it has to be bad for me to cry. Thankfully another student did say to me 'Do you want to sit over here'. Of course I moved over. I just thought to myself at that moment 'Really? Is this the way you are going to treat me? Do you not feel awful for doing that to me?'. Ugh it's just so nasty and evil. I know if that was me i'd sit down beside the person - and I have done this before. Maybe I am just expecting too much of selfish teenagers who probably only care about themselves.

I just think to myself 'why me, why does no one like me' all the time. I can't cope with it anymore, I am depressed all the time. I used to have a few friends but basically this year I am completely isolated and I think thats the problem. I just don't know what to do at all, I feel hopeless. At the moment all I can do is cry because there is no solution, no one comes to speak to me, my HOE can't really make people be my friends and when I try with people they aren't interested so it's just really get on with it which is always the case with me funnily enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Thankfully another student did say to me 'Do you want to sit over here'. Of course I moved over. I just thought to myself at that moment 'Really? Is this the way you are going to treat me? Do you not feel awful for doing that to me?'.

I don't understand this, a student asked you to come and sit with him, and you say this is being treated badly? Please clear up the confusion because by the sounds of it he saw you on your own and invited you to sit with him, he didn't have to do that.

You're in 6th form, I thought you were at university. The thing with school is the 'students' are kids, they're not going to care about you sitting on your own, they've not developed that level of compassion yet, they have their friends and they're going to sit with those friends.

I think many of the students have had their mates all through school and so you stick with who you know, have you had trouble making friends before 6th form? If so, this is why you don't have friends, because you didn't know anyone when you went in, but they all knew people.

But there is hope for you! When you go to university, you will meet lots and lots of new people, these people won't know you, they won't know anything about you and like most people, they won't know anyone either. You'll all be in the same boat and THAT is when you will make friends.

I lived in halls and no matter how much I tried to steer away from people I couldn't get away lol, they kept on asking me, inviting me, trying to drag me out. University is a lot different, people grow up drastically from the ages of 16 - 18.

Once at university, join one or two societies, you'll be sure to make friends. Also at uni don't wait to be invited, be the inviter. There is certain psychology that draws people to someone who is confident, a decision maker, an initiator ect. Be that person, during freshers be sure to involve yourself in conversations.

Don't sit there waiting for someone to say "FrostyJoe, what do you think? Would you like to come?"

If someone mentions something, jump in and say "oh yeh, I saw that earlier it looks pretty cool, who is up for it"

Sorry I can't help much with your current problems, like I said I am a social recluse with zero friends but I understand how friends are made. Good luck in the future.

P.S Stop making status, people don't like attention seekers. It will most likely make it worse.
(edited 10 years ago)
No I mean the year-group I thought it was nasty of them.

The term is now over and it is now halloween. I think over halloween what I am going to do, I'm deciding between really trying (more than ever) or giving up, not really sure. It's sad and hurtful but it's just not going to happen.

Thanks for your help anyway, lets hope University is much better. :smile:
Reply 997
In university, for me I get left alone, probably because I try and get in the sessions first and sit in an open space away from anyone else whether its in a lecture theater or computer lab. I'd like to think students are more mature in more serious and demanding courses like computer science and software engineering which is what I am doing right now however some parts of it require group work because in the future they assure me that I will be working in a team developing software etc if I end up in that line of work.

I say 'if' because i've been having so many nervous breakdowns the past few weeks and its just think twice about going in and doing some of these 'stressful' sessions where the lecturer will pick people out and make them answer questions as if like back at school except it's not school anymore.
Is there a polite way of telling someone you'd rather they didn't try and contact you all the time? This is the third time this year I've had this issue. The first time, he said he couldn't help it and pretty much blamed me. The second time, he blamed me, told me I should understand how he feels as he's obsessed with me and I'm obsessed with someone else. After blocking him on Facebook, he tried to contact me constantly. In the end, he was kicked out of the Autism group and the police told me his behaviour is ok because he's Autistic. :rolleyes:

The person I'm currently having this issue with, lives near me; so I can't really avoid him. It is starting to get annoying now - he feels the need to constantly contact me on Facebook and comment or like everything I do.

Why do I attract such weirdos? They make one of my friends sound normal...
I think you should leave him alone.
We with asbergers don't really have that many friends and so when we get in contact with someone we don't really know how to handle it. It's not fair but thats just the way it is.

I don't know how i'd handle that boy, but I think i'd probably delete his number and also block it. It's not really respectful to ignore someone, its quite shallow in my opinion. I suppose its ok in some situations but it can be really hurtful for the person being ignored. To be honest I think you should think about the situation because you really don't know what hes going through.

I think its quite selfish and nasty of you to even suggest the idea of ignoring him. Its actually verging on bullying. It's not like hes actually done anything to you.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest