The Student Room Group

C3 Jan 2012 Edexcel - Post exam discussion - Solutions and paper in first post

Scroll to see replies

How many marks would i lose for getting the gradient of the normal as -1/8, providing my method after that mistake was correct? Ta. :smile:
Original post by vishcr7
well then you have plenty of time! now im sure you'll get an A*! i guarantee you that!

Awww, thanks. All the best for tomorrow! (I'm sure you'll ace it :smile: oh and tell me how it goes?)
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Meh I sat this exam and I pretty much agree with what that person has said. It was all bog standard past exam stuff apart from the ones he mentioned and even the iteration one has appeared before IIRC.

It felt easier than June 2011, but that may be because I'm more prepared this time round.

I fully agree with you. Furthermore, the questions that he said were difficult we're easy compared to some of the past papers and if you thought about them they were solvable. They were asking you to simply think, not just replicate stuff you've picked up from doing past papers.
Reply 383
The last question was such a *ank, it was so not standard and threw me majorly

rest of the paper was cool. think the grade boundarys will be slightly higher
How many marks would i lose for getting the gradient of the normal as -1/8, providing my method after that mistake was correct? Ta. :smile:
Reply 385
Would you say 56marks would get 70UMS??
I thought the paper was easier than standard. The questions were asked for a slightly weirder angle at times but they were all very simple in theory.
Reply 387
Original post by Dan12345
Would you say 56marks would get 70UMS??

Someone answer please
Reply 388
Original post by Dan12345
Someone answer please

I reckon 55/56 :smile:
Reply 389
Original post by Shack93
I reckon 55/56 :smile:

cool thanks :smile:
Reply 390
63 enough for an A
Im in year 12. I just finished c1. To get an a* in maths for a2, do you only need an a* for c3, c4 and (s2)? Good luck with results peeps.
Reply 392
Original post by bhogs001
Im in year 12. I just finished c1. To get an a* in maths for a2, do you only need an a* for c3, c4 and (s2)? Good luck with results peeps.

C3 C4 averages 90+
Overall A Level average 80+
Original post by aljabiraa
first step of the ten marker, i divided by cos not sin! ahhhh

thats ten marks out of the window :frown: But otherwise it appears i got everything else right

You might only lose one mark for that, they usually do error carried forward in the mark scheme so if you did everything right from theyre I'm sure you'll be ok x
Reply 394
Original post by Arsey
Reasonable paper I thought

Arsey on Q. 8(a) I simply wrote down that tan(A+B) = sin(A+B)/cos(A+B), then I said that was equal to sinAcosB + cosAsinB/cosAcosB - sinAsinB, and then I said that was equal to tanA + tanB/1 - tanAtanB

I didn't specify that I divided by cosAcosB, do you think I will get away with this, if not how many marks would I get?
Reply 395
guess what, i got the whole of question 4 wrong! what is my life!!!?
On 1b, how detrimental would it be to have got x^5 rather than x^6?
Reply 397
you people have got to be kidding. That was not an easy paper at all. Jan 11 paper was far easier than that was, who has ever seen a question like 8? In the edexcel text book it says you don't need to know how to prove tan(A+B) or any of them, so why has it been written in the exam? I understand you're a teacher so you think it is easier, but question 8 will have been too hard for 70% of the sitters, and question 4 was also very difficult when compared with any past paper question 4. I disagree a lot with your grade boundaries prediction, i predict them to be much lower. Every single person that walked out my exam said that was very difficult, struggled on 4 and 8.
Original post by Flynn Precup

I have the same question, could someone please answer this?
Original post by archdeciever
I have the same question, could someone please answer this?

In past questions involving 1/(dx/dy) to get dy/dx 3 marks are usually given for that.

Im going to guess youll get a mark for attempting to find a gradient and lose a mark for the not getting the correct gradient. Again, a working mark for using y-y1=m(x-x1) to find the equation of the line, and an answer mark lost for the final answer.

I found the gradient wrong(albeit it as -2 instead) and I think we will both get 5/7 for our answers.

Edit: This is just a guess. I wouldnt take it in stone but I reckon my guess is correct.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending