The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TaraBelle
I have :biggrin: I'm doing 3 days in a hospital: general medicine, ENT, urology, general surgery and then one day shadowing an F1- can't wait! :')

Nice, sounds pretty awesome! :smile:
Ah arranged some hospital volunteering :smile:

Had a medicine course at a posh school, and there were some mock interviews; I didn't have one as it was in front of 23 others and I didn't wanna flop, but DAM, the people that did were incredible.

I'm worried about interviews now aha!
Original post by IAmMclovin
Nice, sounds pretty awesome! :smile:

I know I'm so excited! what about you?

Edit: sorry I just went back a few posts and read what you're doing :L yours sounds really interesting too! Let us know how it goes for you :smile:

Original post by erniiee

Had a medicine course at a posh school, and there were some mock interviews; I didn't have one as it was in front of 23 others and I didn't wanna flop, but DAM, the people that did were incredible.

what were they saying that you thought were really good? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
what were they saying that you thought were really good? :smile:

Well it was more the manner that they answer the questions. They sounded very erudite and they linked their answers to the questions back to the point of the interview; seemed so effortless! And they seemed quite aware of current medical issues, which I most certainly am not aha :tongue:
Very nice :smile:, how long?

Ive got a week in a GP surgery and a day with a practice nurse :smile:

Pretty worried it will get in the way of revision though? :/

Original post by AtomicMan
4 days for me.

And I also have the same fear, I am stupidly behind in chemistry so will have to work extra hard to get back up to speed while doing enough work to not forget some biology and physics. But I guess we will (hopefully) face stronger conflicts between studying and working during med school and when we are doctors, so I guess we should become used to it now (not that w/e is a form of work :P)

I've got a week in A&E and I'm worried about it eating into revision time too! Aha, and I'm pretty behind in general, not to mention my Art exam not being very far away D:
Original post by erniiee

What types of questions did they ask?
Original post by DarkAndTwisty
I have a lot of shows to watch, haha. Yeah, Mona right?

I only really watch PLL :P Yeah :biggrin:

Original post by Ree-Ree-Real:p
It depends on what your school decides; our study leave is from the 4th May so we get a week off school before our exams. :smile:

Same :biggrin:
Reply 1787
I have :biggrin: I'm doing 3 days in a hospital: general medicine, ENT, urology, general surgery and then one day shadowing an F1- can't wait! :')

wow that's amazing, how did u manage to get that? I am struggling to get any kind of work experience :frown:
Original post by erniiee
Well it was more the manner that they answer the questions. They sounded very erudite and they linked their answers to the questions back to the point of the interview; seemed so effortless! And they seemed quite aware of current medical issues, which I most certainly am not aha :tongue:

Oh I see, were they private schools? (As you said posh?) Gosh neither am I D: Soon as exams are over, gonna read BBC health news till I know them inside out :P what sort of questions did they ask them? :smile:

Original post by FuzzBuzz
wow that's amazing, how did u manage to get that? I am struggling to get any kind of work experience :frown:

Well this one was a scheme my hospital runs - its just called 'doctor shadowing scheme' and its for sixth formers, but they're booked up now for the year :/ but my other placements I got through other means- the GP was just through ringing up random places, same with volunteering, and I'm gonna do a week in a London hospital after exams, and that one I got just by emailing surgeons, so keep going! I think I sent more than 20 emails, till I got lucky with one!
It's great to see future applicant getting as much experience as possible :smile: Best of luck to you guys!
Original post by erniiee
I've got a week in A&E and I'm worried about it eating into revision time too! Aha, and I'm pretty behind in general, not to mention my Art exam not being very far away D:

Im glad im not the only one! haha

Im aiming to revise HARD the week before my placement, and do whatever i can after work exp in the next week :smile:

I know I'm so excited! what about you?

Edit: sorry I just went back a few posts and read what you're doing :L yours sounds really interesting too! Let us know how it goes for you :smile:

No problem haha, and i will, if theres even anything to say :tongue:
Im glad im not the only one! haha

Im aiming to revise HARD the week before my placement, and do whatever i can after work exp in the next week :smile:

Hm yea, I'm in desperate need of a catch up session on all of my work. Gonna try and get as much done as possible next week. Good luck man!

Original post by Natalie21
What types of questions did they ask?

Oh I see, were they private schools? (As you said posh?) Gosh neither am I D: Soon as exams are over, gonna read BBC health news till I know them inside out :P what sort of questions did they ask them? :smile:

Yea the school it was held at was Berkhamsted - I've heard its "prestigious" aha. There were 12 other schools which were all private I think, apart from mine and another.

They started by asking them what they thought of the University and why they wanted to come to this one in particular. Then they asked about work experience (but very briefly) and moved onto the qualities you think a doctor should have.

This is where I think they did really well because in their answers they brought up work experience placements and ECs, basically saying how they had the qualities or had seen them in action.

Then they were asked about ECs versus academics, and to bring the interview to a close, a question about current medical news or a medical ethics question was presented to them.

In one of the interviews they were asked about whether smokers and obese people should have treatment when the NHS is trying to save money (this answer was insane, he gave a really well balanced answer and then brought up four of the medical ethics values: Autonomy, Justice, Beneficence, Munificence...:eek::eek:)..another was asking the person to sum up the NHS reforms (guy answered so well on this one!) and the last was a situation where on the ward round as an, F1 you can smell alcohol on the consultants breath, what do you do? The girl also answered this well, saying you should speak to the person above them, or maybe your SHO in confidentiality, but the most important thing is to remember your patients safety; if the consultant is under the influence of alcohol is he really in the right state to be treating patients safely?

Yea thats pretty much it :h: soz for the essay :tongue: was so interesting to watch, and has really given me some ideas about how to present myself and answers at interview. Scary but exciting!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by erniiee

What were their ECs like?
Original post by erniiee

Yea the school it was held at was Berkhamsted - I've heard its "prestigious" aha. There were 12 other schools which were all private I think, apart from mine and another.

They started by asking them what they thought of the University and why they wanted to come to this one in particular. Then they asked about work experience (but very briefly) and moved onto the qualities you think a doctor should have.

This is where I think they did really well because in their answers they brought up work experience placements and ECs, basically saying how they had the qualities or had seen them in action.

Then they were asked about ECs versus academics, and to bring the interview to a close, a question about current medical news or a medical ethics question was presented to them.

In one of the interviews they were asked about whether smokers and obese people should have treatment when the NHS is trying to save money (this answer was insane, he gave a really well balanced answer and then brought up four of the medical ethics values: Autonomy, Justice, Beneficence, Munificence...:eek::eek:)..another was asking the person to sum up the NHS reforms (guy answered so well on this one!) and the last was a situation where on the ward round as an, F1 you can smell alcohol on the consultants breath, what do you do? The girl also answered this well, saying you should speak to the person above them, or maybe your SHO in confidentiality, but the most important thing is to remember your patients safety; if the consultant is under the influence of alcohol is he really in the right state to be treating patients safely?

Yea thats pretty much it :h: soz for the essay :tongue: was so interesting to watch, and has really given me some ideas about how to present myself and answers at interview. Scary but exciting!

oh wow they all sound so prepared for all this! :O I need to get practicing! :/ That's really interesting to hear though, thank you for writing all that! :smile:
Does anyone on here do AQA Chemistry?
Original post by erniiee

Haha I remember feeling exactly the same last year, everyone I saw in mock interviews seemed incredible and I just knew I couldn't speak like that. Then again you don't have a room full of people watching you during your interview, and I realised I almost enjoyed both my interviews, so it's not all bad! :smile:
Original post by SaintSoldier
Does anyone on here do AQA Chemistry?

Yup.....unfortunately....
Reply 1797
did anyone go to oxbridge conference in Cardiff?
Original post by Anna-Jack-Hope
Yup.....unfortunately....

Have you done the ISA yet?
Original post by oHellno
:smile:

How did UCL go?

Latest

Trending

Trending