The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, I reckon theres something... and better than here... :smile:
Reply 2
I just dont know. I don't believe in heaven but I hope we don't just rot in the ground....
Here's a good debate on the issue but for some reason part 6 is missing

Spoiler

Reply 4
The theology section is right under this one bro'
Reply 5
I wish humanity didn't believe in an afterlife because then they'd know the absolute consequences of murder and war. People wouldn't take life for granted and live it to the full everyday, instead of viewing this life as a kind of sick "test" in which, it doesn't matter how bad things are; there's no point in changing anything because everyone will live forever anyway.

And if it turns out there is an afterlife, then it's win-win.
Reply 6
Original post by kly45
I wish humanity didn't believe in an afterlife because then they'd know the absolute consequences of murder and war. People wouldn't take life for granted and live it to the full everyday, instead of viewing this life as a kind of sick "test" in which, it doesn't matter how bad things are; there's no point in changing anything because everyone will live forever anyway.

If there is an afterlife, what is 'Heaven and Hell'? If people never die, what is the point of it?
My opinion, I don't know...but I am willing to bet that there is not an afterlife, besides, as for Pascals theory that we should believe in god just to make sure, I'm not convinced.

If there is a god and he/she/it is so petty as to send me in to hell simply for not believing in him/her/it despite the fact that I have lived a good life and have been a good human being, then I would not want to spend the rest of eternity with god, I'd rather go to hell and stand up for my beliefs.
I think so too!
There is only a life and this is here at the world!
Furthermore I think that religion, which suggests the mankind an afterlife,
is a tale of humans.

Religion is one of the reasons for wars.
What if the mankind would be without one?
I think that the world would be safer.
Original post by kly45

Remind me to vote that up.
Original post by bethany a smith
as for Pascals theory that we should believe in god just to make sure, I'm not convinced.

Also I get the feeling that you wouldn't seriously believe in him for that reason. You'd just be pretending to, and if he is omnipotent he would be able to see through that anyway.
Original post by The Socktor
Also I get the feeling that you wouldn't seriously believe in him for that reason. You'd just be pretending to, and if he is omnipotent he would be able to see through that anyway.

*Omniscient. :teehee:
Original post by Amwazicles
*Omniscient. :teehee:

Well, I was thinking omnipotent because then he'd have the ability to read minds. Omniscient too, I guess. Which also brings me on to another thing. If he's omniscient, he would presumably know about things that happen before they happen. In which case I don't see why he would even bother making us play a video game when he knows we're not going to win it.
Well, I was thinking omnipotent because then he'd have the ability to read minds. Omniscient too, I guess. Which also brings me on to another thing. If he's omniscient, he would presumably know about things that happen before they happen. In which case I don't see why he would even bother making us play a video game when he knows we're not going to win it.

Plenty more troubles where that came from, too. If you analyse his attributes in detail you're left with little except contradictions and paradoxes.

Theists would of course argue that the only reason we are unable to understand his attributes is because we attempt to define him in human terms.

Plenty more troubles where that came from, too. If you analyse his attributes in detail you're left with little except contradictions and paradoxes.

Theists would of course argue that the only reason we are unable to understand his attributes is because we attempt to define him in human terms.

Because the only record we have of God is in the Bible, and it states Adam and Eve were created in the image of God. I guess people took to thinking that if God looked similar to us we'd be like him as well.
Can't say I'm a big fan of the idea of an afterlife myself! Uh, that's to say... would be nice if there was one, but I'm not convinced! :dry:

If we are thinking of an afterlife then would we not be thinking of a kind of substance dualism? i.e. that there is the material world (bodies and objects) and the mental world (the soul). For the soul (mental) to separate from the body (material) and go into a kind of 'afterlife' the soul and body would need to be joined in the first place, and it seems impossible for two seperate substances to join together. If the mental did exist, it would exist in an entirely different 'realm', unable to connect in any way with the material world.
If the mind were indeed just a material thing or caused by material things then surely there would be nowhere for the mind to escape to once we died? :dontknow:
There is currently no evidence for a life after life. Even more so, the mere phrase "life after life" would be deemed illogical and absurd.
Remind me to vote that up.

Vote that up
There's no "afterlife" because "life" never ends. It just goes on.

Bodies perish but that which is the life, the universal energy persists, is indestructible. We've all been here since the start of the universe in one form or another.
(edited 1 year ago)
‘Do people think they will be left without purpose? Were they not ˹once˺ a sperm-drop emitted? Then they became a clinging clot, then He developed and perfected their form, producing from it both sexes, male and female. Is such ˹a Creator˺ unable to bring the dead back to life?‘

I think this whole chapter from the Quran gives a good insight into the Islamic perspective, worth a read and listen!

Latest

Trending

Trending