The Student Room Group

Bringing a parent to open days

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
take whoever you think will be the most helpful I went with friends to pre application open days and parents to post offer ones and I kind of wish I had took them to the original ones they were much more helpful and thought of questions that neither me or my friends would of.
Original post by mentally superior
Why would you want to take your parentsd. There a none good reasons why you should take them.

they only make you look insociable and like you cannot do stuff for yourself. If you're too scared to ask a few questions and look a things for yourself then you isn't ready for uni mate.

Weird, everyone else in this thread seems to think contrary to your opinion.

I already hold an offer, so it's less about how confident I look and more about the practicality and protocol concerning parents at open days. I appreciate you have an opinion, but I said nothing about lack of confidence or independence in my OP so I'm not entirely sure why you're talking about it?
Original post by Existentialistic
Weird, everyone else in this thread seems to think contrary to your opinion.

I already hold an offer, so it's less about how confident I look and more about the practicality and protocol concerning parents at open days. I appreciate you have an opinion, but I said nothing about lack of confidence or independence in my OP so I'm not entirely sure why you're talking about it?

PAL, i've got 5/5 offers inc camebridge and i went alone to open days.

There has been articles in the news how admissions tutors dont like kids who are 17 and go dragging mummsie and poppsie everywhere with them.

if most people disagree with me then the most people have the wrong opinion...
Reply 23
well some of us are already at university and took our parents with us, I'm not at Cambridge but my friend who is took both his parents with him to the open days and interview days. so I'm pretty sure we aren't "wrong"
Reply 24
I'm a 30 something and I'm taking a parent. The letter said I could bring a guest and my hubby can't come that day so I invited my Mum. If the universities wanted to see applicants without a parent/carer/partner/friend then they wouldn't extend the invite to guests.

I'm sure as a parent if my child was going to be moving away from home for the first time I'd like to see where they might be going, after all I'd probably be contributing financially one way or another while they were at uni.
Reply 25
PAL, i've got 5/5 offers inc camebridge and i went alone to open days.

There has been articles in the news how admissions tutors dont like kids who are 17 and go dragging mummsie and poppsie everywhere with them.

if most people disagree with me then the most people have the wrong opinion...

If open days were so important, i would not have got any offers. I never went to any open days in year 12

Also think about the many people that attend open days. How the hell are they going to remember you when it comes to admissions?
Reply 26
Original post by Existentialistic
So I was invited to a "post-application visit day" at one of my choices and was given the opportunity to bring a guest so I asked my father to come with me, he agreed but has asked me several times whether he should really come since I'm a mature student.

I'm 21 - is bringing him with me going to be weird? Have any mature students brought a parent with them to visit days/open days?

Same age and I'm going to bring my parents to offer visit days. I'm the first in our family to go to uni, so I think they're eager to see what one's all about. I was feeling a little bit weird at the prospect of bringing my parents even though I'm a mature student, so it's good to know others are, too.
Reply 27
Why would you want to take your parentsd. There a none good reasons why you should take them.

they only make you look insociable and like you cannot do stuff for yourself. If you're too scared to ask a few questions and look a things for yourself then you isn't ready for uni mate.

The mentally superior cannot propper grammarz? :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Yeah take your parent. They will give you some good opinions. But make your own decisions!
Reply 29
BigV=big vrigin? mate, no need for the offensive language.

TIP: dont use such language at open days even if you do drag mummy along with you... it don't look good.

I would hate to hear your opinions about people who stay at home instead of moving into halls. Anyway if my dad didn't drive me to Manchester last year to see the uni I wouldn't have gone. I can't drive and I cannot justify spending a fortune on a train ticket when somebody else is willing to help me out.
If I was to go up for an interview though I don't think I would take anyone.. It just seems a bit too stalkerish to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Ignore the banned troll. If he's had an offer from anywhere I'd eat my hat! :biggrin:

I'm sure many parents of teens insist on going these days as they consider that they have almost as much at stake as their kids.
Reply 31
I'm 21 and studying in Newcastle on my access course at the moment but booked my aplicants open day at hertfordshire, I'm taking my mother with me, I do value her opinion but the biggest decision in taking her is because the train costs £100+, bus takes 12+ hours, so I'm getting her to drive me haha.
I dont see why not to take your parents. I went to an interview on wednesday and was the only person on my own, if its acceptable for actual interviews then it should definitely be acceptable for open days.
I took my dad when I looked round colleges at 22. Why? He has done university before and has experience of what he is looking for to see if it is good. Plus there is lots of info thrown at you and it can be helpful to have someone else there too. And you can also then bounce ideas off of them afterwards.
Reply 34
Original post by Philemon

Original post by Philemon
If you want him there, take him :smile:

I was really shocked though going to open days last year and seeing everybody bringing a parent or both!
I never knew people did that, in Denmark you would nevernevernever take your parents, it would be embarrasingly odd. No matter of age.
Like, uni students are an adults n all, making their own decisions, living their own lives.

But! This is the UK and everybody takes their parents and if you want him to come why shouldnt you?

It used to be the same in Britain. Parents just weren't that much involved in visits and decisions. I don't know why there has been such a cultural shift here but now having your parents involved every step of the way is the norm. Maybe its the rise in fees over time... people are much more cautious and want advice from trusted people before they make a decision... maybe more and more parents now have experience of universities themselves and therefore feel more at ease with the process and being involved.... maybe people are just closer to their parents and want them involved... maybe its because now many parents are going to be paying money to their offspring to go to university and want to see that the course is worth it ... I don't know???? I really needed advice though and had to make all the decisions on my own so I'd say if you have a helpful parent, all to the good!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35

Original post by _N_
Same age and I'm going to bring my parents to offer visit days. I'm the first in our family to go to uni, so I think they're eager to see what one's all about. I was feeling a little bit weird at the prospect of bringing my parents even though I'm a mature student, so it's good to know others are, too.

21 is not so 'mature' that you'll look strikingly different from other students anyway! I'm guessing no one will bat an eyelid or notice. Sounds lovely for your parents too.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending