The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];38702497']I try and do different things each time, e.g. 10 miles on the bike or 5k on the cross trainer plus 10-15 minutes on another machine (rowing/cross ramp), or I'll do 20 minutes each on the bike, cross trainer and cross ramp.

I do sometimes use the treadmill, but very rarely as I find it really makes my ankles hurt :s-smilie:

Sounds good! What's a cross ramp? :colondollar:

Was just trying to gauge what kind of things you do compared to me to burn the cals haha!

__

Had a good gym sesh; 10 minutes HIIT on the treadmill + 10 minutes HIIT on the cross trainer (as well as 5 minutes warm up on the treadmill + 5 minutes cool down on the cross trainer). Followed by hip abductor and adductor, free weights (Shoulder press with squat, lateral raises, forward raises with side lunge, bicep curls-half then full into shoulder press, tricep kickbacks + extensions and chest fly). Then attempted some press ups, but my arms were so tired I managed about 20 full press ups before giving in and doing 20 'lady' press ups :tongue:. Finished off with some standard crunches, bicycle crunches, leg raises, plate twist (although with a dumbbell not a plate) and a 1min plank.

I. am. tired.

Feeling proud though :biggrin:
I'm getting right back to this tomorrow. Think I've gained 3lbs in the past week, and I plan to lose them just as quickly, and then finish with the last few pounds that I've been putting off.

Gained this week because I've been home alone all week, boyfriend and parents are all away (not together of course) and I cannot control myself when I don't have anyone to answer to. But as of lunchtime tomorrow it will no longer be an issue, and I won't have to wait in all day for builders/gardeners/deliveries and I'll be able to get out and exercise again. I can hardly wait.

Feeling positive about life in general as well. It's amazing what a good chat with a genuinely nice person can do.
Original post by Yellow-nutshell
Sounds good! What's a cross ramp? :colondollar:

Was just trying to gauge what kind of things you do compared to me to burn the cals haha!

__

Had a good gym sesh; 10 minutes HIIT on the treadmill + 10 minutes HIIT on the cross trainer (as well as 5 minutes warm up on the treadmill + 5 minutes cool down on the cross trainer). Followed by hip abductor and adductor, free weights (Shoulder press with squat, lateral raises, forward raises with side lunge, bicep curls-half then full into shoulder press, tricep kickbacks + extensions and chest fly). Then attempted some press ups, but my arms were so tired I managed about 20 full press ups before giving in and doing 20 'lady' press ups :tongue:. Finished off with some standard crunches, bicycle crunches, leg raises, plate twist (although with a dumbbell not a plate) and a 1min plank.

I. am. tired.

Feeling proud though :biggrin:

It's one of these things. So kinda like a cross trainer, but it's got an incline.

And that's an impressive session! I'm impressed you still managed 20 proper push ups. I still can't even do one :colondollar: My upper body strength is totally abysmal.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];38706477']So kinda like a cross trainer, but it's got an incline.

And that's an impressive session! I'm impressed you still managed 20 proper push ups. I still can't even do one :colondollar: My upper body strength is totally abysmal.

Ahhh I see! Makes sense haha. We don't have one at my gym :frown: We have this weird machine where you look like you're skiiing- or if you go faster it's similar to the stepper. I am yet to master it. I look so ungraceful on it and just can't seem to figure out the rhythm. I won't let it beat me though!

It took a while to build up to the press ups, and I did do it in 2 sets of 10. It's only since I've been using free weights a bit more that I've been able to increase them! Does make you feel quite hardcore :colone:
Reply 6024
Not been well so not stuck to it. Stayed the same so better than gaining. I was thinking of doing the NHS couch to 5k, is it hard?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i
(edited 11 years ago)
The scales say 11st 13lbs this morning! In the elevens finally! I don't think I've been this light since I was about 12/13 years old :o:

Also 1lb off 100lbs lost :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm getting right back to this tomorrow. Think I've gained 3lbs in the past week, and I plan to lose them just as quickly, and then finish with the last few pounds that I've been putting off.

Gained this week because I've been home alone all week, boyfriend and parents are all away (not together of course) and I cannot control myself when I don't have anyone to answer to. But as of lunchtime tomorrow it will no longer be an issue, and I won't have to wait in all day for builders/gardeners/deliveries and I'll be able to get out and exercise again. I can hardly wait.

Feeling positive about life in general as well. It's amazing what a good chat with a genuinely nice person can do.

Same :smile: Need to sort my motivation out - going to actually call the gynm I'm thinking of joining on my lunch hour and see if they can do my induction this weekend it's 6 weeks for £40 so I didn't think it was a bad deal. Only need to go to one class and swim once per week to make it better value than pay as you go :tongue:
Original post by The_Goose
Same :smile: Need to sort my motivation out - going to actually call the gynm I'm thinking of joining on my lunch hour and see if they can do my induction this weekend it's 6 weeks for £40 so I didn't think it was a bad deal. Only need to go to one class and swim once per week to make it better value than pay as you go :tongue:

Good, get down there :biggrin:. So today is the first day of "healthy new me" again after an awful week. Checked on the scales again this morning and gained 3lbs exactly, which is probably a lot less than I deserve. Been up an hour and still stuck to the diet so that's a good start.. parents are coming back at lunch time, so got lots of house work to keep me busy until then- that counts as exercise so it's all good! :biggrin:
Reply 6028
Original post by gemmam
Not been well so not stuck to it. Stayed the same so better than gaining. I was thinking of doing the NHS couch to 5k, is it hard?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my ST18i

I started this yesterday! I did the first session on a treadmill though. I didn't find it too bad actually, I thought I'd be done after 10 minutes, but afterwards I felt I could have started myself at week 2 rather than 1. Just going to keep at it though. Will do a run outside when I sort out how to find the podcast on my shuffle! Have a feeling it will be more difficult outside though, but I shall see!

For the first time today, I'm going to bring lunch into work with me rather than eating from there (I work at McDonald's). I've been eating a grilled chicken sandwich/wrap for the past couple of weeks (occasionally treating myself to fries and had a double cheeseburger one day) but I've got a salad with salmon waiting in the fridge to come along with me today! It's though working around food and trying not to eat it. I've been there almost 4 years, you'd think I'd be sick of it all by now! At least when I did eat it, I never put on weight, but it was probably more to do with me being lazy when getting home and eating a small snack before bed instead of a proper dinner.
finally got around to sorting my MFP profile out - new aim is to do (at least) 3 exercise sessions a week (45 mins each, longer if possible) - and upped my protein levels and lowered my carbs, let's see if this works!! I'm Yertua on there if anyone wants to help motivate me haha
I started using MyFitnessPal about two weeks ago. I haven't missed a single entry! Which is rare for me because I always lose interest after the first day or two. I need to start tracking water input as well. I have been tracking exercise, but only so I know how much I net for the day.

I'm doing a combination of things.

-Lowering calorie intake.
-Eating about 90% raw foods (I'm already vegan).
-Intermittent fasting (Fast for 16 hours, eat during an 8 hour window)
-Increase in exercise. Swimming 4-6 times per week. Skateboarding once a week. Hiking 1-2 times per week. Running 3 times per week. Just a variety of exercises so I don't get bored. I don't exercise every day. Sometimes I swim in the ocean around noon, then go for a jog/hike/ride in the evening.

Best part is, my energy has SKYROCKETED. Majorly. I have so much energy (I think it's from the raw eating). And I actually want to exercise because I'm so antsy, I need to get out and burn off energy.

I've lost about 13 pounds since starting this all. The first 4 or 5 were water weight so about 9 real pounds. And it goes through phases. No weight loss for a few days, then 1 pound a day for a few days. Repeat.

Anyway, I have a bunch to lose so I hope that it continues for the rest of the summer. I'd like to be able to start uni a bit smaller. :smile:
Been stuck at the same weight for ages now, so taken the plunge and changed my calorie goal up to 1800. It should still be below my BMR (around 1900 when considered lightly active 1-3 days a week), so fingers crossed it works.
Original post by amizzle91
The scales say 11st 13lbs this morning! In the elevens finally! I don't think I've been this light since I was about 12/13 years old :o:

Wow, well done!

I would be one very happy chappy if I got into the elevens. What's your target weight?

Congratulations-an amazing achievement :smile:
Original post by original_username
Wow, well done!

I would be one very happy chappy if I got into the elevens. What's your target weight?

Thank you!

I'm aiming for 10 stone, maybe 9 and a half :smile: I have a big build (although not particularly tall at 5'5'') so I'll see how that looks and go from there :smile:
Thank you!

I'm aiming for 10 stone, maybe 9 and a half :smile: I have a big build (although not particularly tall at 5'5'') so I'll see how that looks and go from there :smile:

I've no doubt you'll achieve it :wink:

Question for pretty much everyone here. Do you tend to have one day a week where you do everything you shouldn't? Generally once a weekend I'll go out on the beers, eat out if im in a pub then probably have something in the early hours if I've gone to a club. I'm about to embark on a 24 hours like that once I finish work later. Uni reunion so it would be rude not to really. :tongue:
Been stuck at the same weight for ages now, so taken the plunge and changed my calorie goal up to 1800. It should still be below my BMR (around 1900 when considered lightly active 1-3 days a week), so fingers crossed it works.

Same... My bmr is 1400 but I have been eating around 1200. I usually burn around five hundred calories at the gym so I suspect my deficit has been too big. Consequently? I am going to try and eat 1400-1600.

Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Same... My bmr is 1400 but I have been eating around 1200. I usually burn around five hundred calories at the gym so I suspect my deficit has been too big. Consequently? I am going to try and eat 1400-1600.

I increased to 1400 a while ago and lost a bit more, and then stopped again, tried 1500 but nothing seems to have changed so I think I have to up a larger amount. It just seems strange eating so much when I've been used to less. Slightly paranoid about putting it back on now, even though I know that's impossible at that amount.

Let me know how it goes for you!
I increased to 1400 a while ago and lost a bit more, and then stopped again, tried 1500 but nothing seems to have changed so I think I have to up a larger amount. It just seems strange eating so much when I've been used to less. Slightly paranoid about putting it back on now, even though I know that's impossible at that amount.

Let me know how it goes for you!

Same! For me it is struggling to know what to eat that is healthy but will increase my calorie intake. I'm thinking of having soup and a slice of whole meal toast with peanut butter as snacks each day which would be an extra three hundred calories.

If that doesn't work I may have to pay my doctor a visit :')

Reply 6039
Original post by original_username
I've no doubt you'll achieve it :wink:

Question for pretty much everyone here. Do you tend to have one day a week where you do everything you shouldn't? Generally once a weekend I'll go out on the beers, eat out if im in a pub then probably have something in the early hours if I've gone to a club. I'm about to embark on a 24 hours like that once I finish work later. Uni reunion so it would be rude not to really. :tongue:

every now and then yes every week seems very often

Latest