The Student Room Group

What are your opinions about the best age to start dating?

Around me, I see so many couples going out, some going well and others not going so well. I'm 15 but I even see 13 year olds finding boyfriends and I wonder which age is appropriate to have a proper relationship.
Original post by Anonymous
Around me, I see so many couples going out, some going well and others not going so well. I'm 15 but I even see 13 year olds finding boyfriends and I wonder which age is appropriate to have a proper relationship.

Focus on your GCSEs and Examinations prioritising education first and then when your mature and developed enough at 18 then date
Reply 2
My mates parents banned him from having a gf before passing his gcse, and this didn’t work particularly well. I was a bit limited by my success. In hindsight there is something to be said for not rushing in relationship angst
Original post by Anonymous

It depends on the person. If you're planning to move to the other side of the country/world for university, you should definitely wait until university. If you aren't going anywhere, I think 16 is a good time, but only if you start to get feelings with, say, a friend, not if you go out looking for feelings. I don't think anyone should go out seeking a relationship until they are at least 18 and have a direction in life. Focus on yourself in secondary school, not impressing possible partners. Those 13 year olds probably won't have lasting, healthy relationships, so don't go looking at them like they are examples of what you should be doing. Also, one reason to wait until you are older is that none of your brains are developed. People change a lot from 13 to 20, and you might find yourself growing apart from a partner.
I wouldn't recommend dating anyone before the age of16.
Even if you have no plans for any intimate sexual activity in the short to medium term dating future.

Instead focus on your hobbies, friends, studies and deciding on your future ambitions for the next 2-3 years.
Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending