The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Today, I turned down the chance of a beautiful 2 bedroomed apartment in the middle of town, perfect place, ideal for everything.. why did I turn it down? Because I know I'm not ready to live on my own right now. If I did, I'd eat myself into oblivion every night. Just eaten 500 cals worth of cookies because I'm on my own, which just proves my point. The self control it's taking not to eat another 500 cals is amazing, but I will do it. Luckily I hadn't eaten the whole of the day's food yet so it's left me at 1,500 cals. Happy with that (if I can stop).

:hugs: I actually found it easier to eat well when living alone. I just don't buy the stuff. I need self control in different ways when alone and when at Mum's.
Original post by sauce
:hugs: I actually found it easier to eat well when living alone. I just don't buy the stuff. I need self control in different ways when alone and when at Mum's.

I have to have someone with me, because I eat through boredom. Always have done, that's why I gained so much when I was at uni. If I lived alone I'd get back up to 18 stone in no time, so I'm not doing it to myself, not yet. Hopefully soon I'll be able to trust myself, but after just one year of trying to change my ways I can't be sure that I wouldn't just slip straight back into old habits- particularly because I wouldn't be able to afford internet for a while so no MFP or TSR.
Reply 782
Off running in a minute :biggrin:

Boyfriend as usual has been stuffing his face but I've resisted! :biggrin:
Still got the Lindt choccie eggs...post running treat :smile:
Reply 783
I have to have someone with me, because I eat through boredom. Always have done, that's why I gained so much when I was at uni. If I lived alone I'd get back up to 18 stone in no time, so I'm not doing it to myself, not yet. Hopefully soon I'll be able to trust myself, but after just one year of trying to change my ways I can't be sure that I wouldn't just slip straight back into old habits- particularly because I wouldn't be able to afford internet for a while so no MFP or TSR.

Yeah, I do that too. Somedays I feel really upset as I feel I'm balancing on a tightrope of just getting through each day without stuffing myself silly. :frown: I just...love eating :s: whether I'm hungry or not....:sad:

I so agree. When I am outside during the day, some days food is the last thing on my mind. Immediately I'm alone in my hall room (like now) I just feel like munching out of bordeom. Although at the same time its much worse when I am at my parents as there is soo much temptation at home.

I'm sure once you start maintaining and maintain for a while you will learn to trust yourself again
Reply 785
Food for today:

Brunch:
2 egg omelette with onions, ham, salad and cucumber

Later: Bowl of homemade tomato soup and 1 rice cake

Snack: Cucumber sticks with hummus

Dinner: Cod fillet with peppers, onions, garlic, olive oil and quinoa
Reply 786
I haven't posted in a while, as I've been feeling very demotivated recently about my weight loss, it's taking all the strength within me right now, not to say 'Right, i've had enough, I give up.' Over the last 6 months or so I've been struggling with depression, and I'm finding denying myself the things I want, whilst feeling guilty about the things I do have, is making it even worse. I think I need a break from weight loss, but I'm scared if I do so, then I'll undo my hard work. I've only lost about 20lbs, but I really can't afford to put it back on. I'm feeling very lost, and I don't know what to do. Sorry for this rant, I just needed to get it out.
Original post by 08batee
I haven't posted in a while, as I've been feeling very demotivated recently about my weight loss, it's taking all the strength within me right now, not to say 'Right, i've had enough, I give up.' Over the last 6 months or so I've been struggling with depression, and I'm finding denying myself the things I want, whilst feeling guilty about the things I do have, is making it even worse. I think I need a break from weight loss, but I'm scared if I do so, then I'll undo my hard work. I've only lost about 20lbs, but I really can't afford to put it back on. I'm feeling very lost, and I don't know what to do. Sorry for this rant, I just needed to get it out.

Have you seen your doctor about your depression? I'd say that if dieting is making you miserable then you shouldn't be doing it, or at least find a way to solve things such as having a cheat day or making sure that you have at least one thing that you really like each day (for example I have a treat sized toffee crisp which are only 99 calories, or a penguin which aren't much more).

But 20lbs is fantastic to have lost, however long it took you. The fact is, you're 20lbs lighter than you were at the beginning, and that's a real achievement. Never give up. I know how you feel. As though the food in the house is absolutely screaming your name, but you're stronger than it. The more I think about it now, the more I realise that I had an eating disorder before I started losing weight and probably still do- but I'm in control of it now.. as are you. Don't let the food win. It doesn't make you happy, it makes you unhappy in the long term. We all know that on here, which is why we're here. Never give up. Remind yourself that you're worth it :-).
Reply 788
Just had an awesome run with the boyfriend...mile and a half today and it didn't feel like my lungs were gonna explode :biggrin: half marathon here we come!!! :smile:
Reply 789
I'm all tearful and crap today :frown: At least I haven't comforted myself with food and have chosen Big Bang Theory instead! Dr Sheldon Cooper is a pretty good substitute for cookies.
Looking forward to a small treat tomorrow for my efforts :smile: (either a takeaway with friends or some chocolate/sweets!)
Original post by sauce
I'm all tearful and crap today :frown: At least I haven't comforted myself with food and have chosen Big Bang Theory instead! Dr Sheldon Cooper is a pretty good substitute for cookies.
Looking forward to a small treat tomorrow for my efforts :smile: (either a takeaway with friends or some chocolate/sweets!)

*Hugs* any particular reason why? Well done for not eating your troubles away.. unlike me with my cookies tonight!
Reply 791
Also, someone please give me some rationality, I'm usually a very rational scientific person but I'm convincing myself that if I go back on the pill I'll put the 2 stone I've lost back on....when really as long as , even if appetite increases, I keep control of it...I'll be fine...right?RIGHT?!?!
Reply 792
*Hugs* any particular reason why? Well done for not eating your troubles away.. unlike me with my cookies tonight!

Oh goodness, I really didn't mean for that to be snide! I've probably eaten cookies for my sads much more than you, please don't think I meant it in a mean way, sorry! :hugs:

I suffer from depression, am medicated for it but am trying to wean myself off the drugs(they make me worse tbh and my GP is very unsupportive at times) and I think it's just a rubbish trough. Also keep thinking about medical school(got three rejections without interview, and waiting for a final rejection(negative I know).

I'm not normally like this...:colondollar: just all got on top of me tonight :frown:

EDIT: I'm awaiting CBT for my depression and connected issues, I want to wait for that rather than be on **** medication.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 793
Have you seen your doctor about your depression? I'd say that if dieting is making you miserable then you shouldn't be doing it, or at least find a way to solve things such as having a cheat day or making sure that you have at least one thing that you really like each day (for example I have a treat sized toffee crisp which are only 99 calories, or a penguin which aren't much more).

But 20lbs is fantastic to have lost, however long it took you. The fact is, you're 20lbs lighter than you were at the beginning, and that's a real achievement. Never give up. I know how you feel. As though the food in the house is absolutely screaming your name, but you're stronger than it. The more I think about it now, the more I realise that I had an eating disorder before I started losing weight and probably still do- but I'm in control of it now.. as are you. Don't let the food win. It doesn't make you happy, it makes you unhappy in the long term. We all know that on here, which is why we're here. Never give up. Remind yourself that you're worth it :-).

Thanks for taking the time to reply :smile: Yeah, I went to the doctors a few months ago and she diagnosed me with depression. I'm currently having counselling too, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I've already tried having a cheat day, it doesn't really work with me, as rather than just having a little bit of what I fancy, I end up binging and I genuinely cannot seem to control it! I might try buying something like penguin bars though :smile: Thankyou! I think that’s my major problem: I don't think I'm worth it. My confidence and self esteem is absolutely at rock bottom, and I have voices which consistently tell me I'm useless and worthless, many times a day.
Reply 794
Original post by sauce

Welcome to the thread, Sauce! :smile:

And, I hope things are okay :hugs: :smile:
Reply 795
Original post by 08batee
Welcome to the thread, Sauce! :smile:

And, I hope things are okay :hugs: :smile:

Thanks for the warm welcome, things are going to get better :smile: and they will for you too :hugs:
Original post by 08batee
Thanks for taking the time to reply :smile: Yeah, I went to the doctors a few months ago and she diagnosed me with depression. I'm currently having counselling too, but it doesn't seem to be doing much. I've already tried having a cheat day, it doesn't really work with me, as rather than just having a little bit of what I fancy, I end up binging and I genuinely cannot seem to control it! I might try buying something like penguin bars though :smile: Thankyou! I think that’s my major problem: I don't think I'm worth it. My confidence and self esteem is absolutely at rock bottom, and I have voices which consistently tell me I'm useless and worthless, many times a day.

Persevere with the counselling, it can really help just to talk things through even though we might not realise it at the time, I know that from personal experience! Self esteem issues suck. Do your family know how you're feeling? I find talking to my Mum is really helpful when I'm feeling down. Keeping myself busy helps too, even if it's just reading a book or meeting up with a friend.. obv I don't know your situation so sorry if I'm being nosy/pushy or whatever.. just don't want anyone on this thread feeling bad :-(.
Reply 797
Original post by sauce
Thanks for the warm welcome, things are going to get better :smile: and they will for you too :hugs:

You're very welcome :smile: I'm glad! Thankyou, I hope so anyway :redface:
Reply 798
Persevere with the counselling, it can really help just to talk things through even though we might not realise it at the time, I know that from personal experience! Self esteem issues suck. Do your family know how you're feeling? I find talking to my Mum is really helpful when I'm feeling down. Keeping myself busy helps too, even if it's just reading a book or meeting up with a friend.. obv I don't know your situation so sorry if I'm being nosy/pushy or whatever.. just don't want anyone on this thread feeling bad :-(.

You're not being nosey or pushy at all! I genuinely appreciate it, so thank you :smile: I will continue with the counselling, it's certainly not doing me any harm :smile: I know, I just feel like I'm not good enough in any way... I'm not slim enough, I haven't got nice enough skin, I'm not intelligent enough, I don't work hard enough, I'm not a good enough friend, I'm not a good enough daughter, etc. Not really, I've tried many times, but they genuinely don't care! Seriously, every time I mention how unhappy they are, they just walk away and I don't think they realise quite how serious it is. I've never been close to my parents anyway, so I'm not really bothered. I sort of talk to my friends about my feelings and things, but none of them can really relate. I just feel a bit lost, and in some vicious circle which I can't get out of. I'm doing A levels right now, and I seem to get a lot of crap off my teachers too. They call me moody and tell me that I need to be more resilient, when they really have no idea about how I'm feeling! I've sort of spoken to a teacher who I've had for a few years now, and I know he cares about my wellbeing, but he seems to think all my issues are to do with school, and gives me lectures about how to cope with school, as he thinks I 'work too hard'. He really doesn't realise how ironic that is, as I'm currently very behind with everything.
Reply 799
Hey, been stalking this thread for quite a while and might start joining in now if thats ok. A lot of the progress you guys have made is amazing :smile: I'm at the borderline of being overweight, and would really love to get at least a stone shifted for this summer, in time for a beach holiday I'm going on and to graduate. I've got a tendency to get a bit obsessive about things, and in the past watching what I eat has got a bit out of hand, so want to focus on eating healthily moreso than just calorie counting, but also making sure I don't eat less than the minimum + amount burnt during exercise for that day. Will be starting tomorrow, and starting a new training program on Monday to run a 10k so hopefully they should compliment each other well.

Latest