The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Maths+CompSci here I come! Boom, can't wait.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 381
Well done guys. Lets see how excited you are after 2 years of uni has sucked all the enthusiasm out of you. :awesome:

I kid, kind of... ha, but anyway as far as accomodation and everything else goes that you need to do before uni, the University are very good at making sure exactly what you need to do. Expect a few letters that will walk you through everything. Well done again, and if you have any question, feel free to ask. I know I had loads when I first started.
Original post by Dorito
Well done guys. Lets see how excited you are after 2 years of uni has sucked all the enthusiasm out of you. :awesome:

I kid, kind of... ha, but anyway as far as accomodation and everything else goes that you need to do before uni, the University are very good at making sure exactly what you need to do. Expect a few letters that will walk you through everything. Well done again, and if you have any question, feel free to ask. I know I had loads when I first started.

Did they come only as letters or as emails too?
Reply 383
Original post by .snowflake.
OMG. THEY WANT ME! Despite missing my offer, I will be studying Chem at Sheffield. We need a TSR meetup during Freshers.

congrats! :smile:

+ YESYESYES, we should definitely try to organise something. Would love to meet you all. :tongue:
I got in yayy
Psychology :smile:
I'm so excited now! :banana2:
I'm going to Sheffield :biggrin: got a place to do Geography :smile: Well done everyone!
Reply 387
Original post by Straight up G
Same :smile:

Anyways guys, general question for more informed freshers than me and for current students, I'm going away for a while pretty soon, and I'll only be back a week or so before moving in weekend... what will happen in these few weeks, and what do I need to do? I'm already planning on telling the uni/department.

I'll try to remember from last year..
You'll get allocated your accomodation (if you applied) which you will have to accept (or decline if you want) and pay the deposit.
After you've done that you'll get an email asking you to complete e-induction, which gives some information about arriving and allows you to pick a time slot for when you want to turn up.

Then nearer to the time you go theres also a pre-registration task where, if I'm remembering correctly, you answer a questionnaire/give a few details for the Uni Health service, sign up for a computer account and upload a photo for your U-Card etc. If your eligible for a bursary you give them your bank details too.

You'll also get an intro pack thing in the post, which will have information in it about the university and explaining the registration process when you arrive. But if it doesn't arrive before you go away I remember getting an email newsletter with pdfs of both booklets in it which you could look at until you got back if you have internet.

I'm not remembering anything that I had to do before going that wasn't done online, but it's best to check with someone who actually knows :tongue: :smile:
Dentistry!!!!!

Anyone know When we find out where we're living
From that email we were sent before results: 'We will contact all successful applicants by email after midday on Thursday 18 August. This email will include information about the pre-arrival pack which will be sent to you in the following week.' The 18th of Aug is a saturday, so Im assuming she meant today? Has anyone recieved this email?
Original post by mileswest
I'll try to remember from last year..
You'll get allocated your accomodation (if you applied) which you will have to accept (or decline if you want) and pay the deposit.
After you've done that you'll get an email asking you to complete e-induction, which gives some information about arriving and allows you to pick a time slot for when you want to turn up.

Then nearer to the time you go theres also a pre-registration task where, if I'm remembering correctly, you answer a questionnaire/give a few details for the Uni Health service, sign up for a computer account and upload a photo for your U-Card etc. If your eligible for a bursary you give them your bank details too.

You'll also get an intro pack thing in the post, which will have information in it about the university and explaining the registration process when you arrive. But if it doesn't arrive before you go away I remember getting an email newsletter with pdfs of both booklets in it which you could look at until you got back if you have internet.

I'm not remembering anything that I had to do before going that wasn't done online, but it's best to check with someone who actually knows :tongue: :smile:

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 391
I'll be there for chemistry :P
Original post by Jimmy_EFC
I'll be there for chemistry :P

squeals -glomp- I'll assume you won't be in the maths and physics for dummies classes in September?
Reply 393
squeals -glomp- I'll assume you won't be in the maths and physics for dummies classes in September?

Didn't do A-Level Physics so might have to be in that one?
Got an A in maths though so shouldn't be in the maths one :smile:
Reply 394
Same :smile:

Anyways guys, general question for more informed freshers than me and for current students, I'm going away for a while pretty soon, and I'll only be back a week or so before moving in weekend... what will happen in these few weeks, and what do I need to do? I'm already planning on telling the uni/department.

Congrats babes :wink:
Where's the Mitai!?
Reply 395
Did they come only as letters or as emails too?

Think I only received letters from Sheffield. Was never one to check my e-mails so maybe they sent me some of them as well. :tongue:

If you ever have a question though, the University is really good/quick at replying to e-mails.
Didn't do A-Level Physics so might have to be in that one?
Got an A in maths though so shouldn't be in the maths one :smile:

I'm in both (probably). Didnt do A level physics, hated it at GCSE. Did AS maths, and did awful - got a D. I could do the mathsy bits of A level Chemistry, just not core maths...
Reply 397
I'm in both (probably). Didnt do A level physics, hated it at GCSE. Did AS maths, and did awful - got a D. I could do the mathsy bits of A level Chemistry, just not core maths...

Ahh I love core maths! Don't know why as such, just always have!
I shall see you in september then :P are you on the 4 year MChem?
Ahh I love core maths! Don't know why as such, just always have!
I shall see you in september then :P are you on the 4 year MChem?

yup. I hated core, seemed to be difficult stuff with numbers because we could, whilst stats had a use/ reason. I don't think it helped I had 2 teachers for core maths.
Original post by Dorito
Think I only received letters from Sheffield. Was never one to check my e-mails so maybe they sent me some of them as well. :tongue:

If you ever have a question though, the University is really good/quick at replying to e-mails.

Ah okay, thanks man.

Latest

Trending

Trending