The Student Room Group

Why do so many Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You have Hepatitis B?!

Y NO HAVE Hepatitis A? :spank:
Reply 21
Original post by sachinisgod
Asians make practical decisons. they just dont think, oh i really like art and im good at painting so thats what im gonna do. They take into account what they are going to earn, is it a safe job as in there isnt a fear that you mite be made unemployed any time. Will u be able to support a family and live life decently. And also is a cultural thing and parents keep that in mind.

that's true. I think that a lot of people forget this when they apply to uni. Being from an Asian family, even though my parents are very liberal, they always say the exact same thing to me too... And I agree
Well the OP doesnt like this sort thing happening in UK. But trust me its even worse in India. Parents in most cases have already decided that their kids are gonna do medicine/ engineering and most of them are forced into it without having any passion or desire. :frown:
Parents and status, focus on career, desire to "help people". Various reasons basically.

There are a lot of exceptions you know- more than you would think. Two of my aunties were born in Pakistani villages and now have masters in English Literature and Psychology respectively...
Reply 24
Original post by Zangoose

(In b4 politically correct and brainwashed morons fishing for rep say something along the lines of: "Yeah but you're generalising, blah blah blah."
Or an Asian who isn't doing Medicine/Dentistry tries to discredit my argument with:
"I am an Asian and I'm doing Sociology, therefore, despite being a rare exception to an obvious trend, your argument is stupid"

I +rep you because of this.
becuz ven you becumz doctor, u have ze good life, good wife, good timez, see it iz a very gud job.

Spoiler

I'm an asian and a wannabe medic yet none of my parents ever pressurized me for anything :don'tknow: which category are you gonna put me in?

Medicine has so many hoops to jump through, if you're really only doing it for your parents you'll inevitably fall at one hurdle... If the only reason you do it is cause of parents then its gonna show.
Reply 27
Original post by Inzamam99

There are a lot of exceptions you know- more than you would think. Two of my aunties were born in Pakistani villages and now have masters in English Literature and Psychology respectively...

No need for you to mention this. The OP already knows this; read the bottom of his post.
Original post by DopplerEffect
In Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi society having a doctor and/or an engineer in the family means a lot...

Wikipedia
, their third and fourth generations are moving fast in the new fields of science, technology, arts and social sciences with higher number of youth taking admissions in different universities.

Turns out that Im a stereotype :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Pakistanis
Reply 29
I'm Asian. I do Film Studies. Rofl.
Reply 30
Parents in most cases have already decided that their kids are gonna do medicine/ engineering and most of them are forced into it without having any passion or desire. :frown:

It's funny isn't it? It's like the parents have this magical tube that connects to the child's brain and use it to know what's best for the child in future.

/sarcasm
Parents in most cases have already decided that their kids are gonna do medicine/ engineering and most of them are forced into it without having any passion or desire. :frown:

Reply 32
Original post by Zangoose
And by Asians I'm mostly referring to Indians/Pakistanis, then maybe throw in a couple of Chinese/Korean.

Lets not beat around the bush here, a lot of Asians take the Medicine/Dentistry route. I'm not saying that most people who apply for these courses are Asian but you have to admit, most Asians will apply for those courses or go down the Biochem/Biomed route with the hope of getting into Medicine - but why?

It is prestige? Do people in the community look up to you because you're studying Medicine and Dentistry? Or is it just money? This is a genuine question because every single Indian/Pakistani person from my college is either studying Medicine/Dentisry/Biomed, aspiring to study either of those or doing something in Business/Accounting (which is still typical). I think it's disgraceful to be honest.

Here you have Kid A, who takes genuine pride in serving their community. Ever since they could walk, Kid A was deeply intrigued by the inner workings of the body. They see the human anatomy as a grand vessel for knowledge and the idea of working with people firsthand, giving them advice, curing them and even performing surgery on them appeals to them very much so they do everything to achieve their goal.

However, now you have Kid B. Kid B is doing their GCSEs/A levels and doesn't know what to study in university so their parents tell them to do Medicine/Dentistry because it's the bee's knees. Now the thing is, Kid B doesn't actually care about the implications of taking on such a challenge. Kid B is of above average intelligence and despite having absolutely zero passion for Medicine or Dentisry, Kid B decides to do it anyway just for prestige, even if it means spending countless hours pretending to enjoy work experience in some smelly retirement home or skimming through science journals, only to memorise and recite a few key phrases in a Medicine interview in order to brownose the interviewers. The disturbing thing here is that Kid B doesn't care about serving his or her community. They just want the title of 'Doctor'.

In case anyone didn't understand my euphemisms, Kid A is someone who has a genuine passion for Medicine and Kid B is a typical Asian.

(In b4 politically correct and brainwashed morons fishing for rep say something along the lines of: "Yeah but you're generalising, blah blah blah."
Or an Asian who isn't doing Medicine/Dentistry tries to discredit my argument with:
"I am an Asian and I'm doing Sociology, therefore, despite being a rare exception to an obvious trend, your argument is stupid"

Surely eventually Kid B would be found to be insincere, in interviews, internships etc. If a medicine course is 5 - 6 years in duration and the starting pay is not that high, people who are in it for immediate money ONLY are going to be fairly disappointe, since there are other careers which pay more, and with more immediacy.

I am South Asian (i.e. not British Asian or mixed). I studied biosciences but then started work as a trader. Are you sure the people you are referring to are actually studying MEDICINE (as opposed to allied subjects)? Because with related subjects many people do not go onto become health practitioners - just like how many engineering students do not necessarily become engineers. I have friends who studied engineering who became developers, traders, actuaries etc.
Reply 33
Original post by Pride
are you kidding me? why would it be disgraceful...?

does that necessarily make this person the one who deserves to get into medical school and become a doctor? I mean, real life isn't really about who's the most passionate, or who's the one who researches about anatomy for hours on end? Does the fact that he liked the human body at 5 make him a better candidate? Real life doesn't care about who puts in the most effort. It's about who's the best. And they have criteria, and the admissions pick who they like. It's not an ideal system, but what can be done about that?

look, yes many Asians want to be in these sorts of professions. But is that such a bad thing?

I mean, doctors are well respected in these cultures, in asian cultures, the work ethic is very powerful and asians are brought up with ambitious attitudes. Is that such a bad thing? I mean, you're right, there are many asians who just want to be doctors for example because of their parents. But then there are also those who are encouraged by their parents and do actually make great doctors. Is that such a bad thing?

just chill ok?

Aren't doctors very well respected in most cultures in the world? I can't think of one where they aren't.
Reply 34
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Tiz a prestige thing :bhangra: Though not everyone would say dentistry is prestigious :ninja:

So not a financial thing then. Prestige and wealth are different, of course.
Reply 35
Well the OP doesnt like this sort thing happening in UK. But trust me its even worse in India. Parents in most cases have already decided that their kids are gonna do medicine/ engineering and most of them are forced into it without having any passion or desire. :frown:

But those people who are 'forced' don't ultimately become leaders in their fields of specialization. There's only so much your parents can do. They cannot take the exams for you. They cannot get the certifications for you. They cannot build and maintain your network for you, etc.
Reply 36
I'm Asian and I am doing Computer Science!
Reply 37
Lots of asians may genuinely be "kid A's"
Original post by effofex
But those people who are 'forced' don't ultimately become leaders in their fields of specialization. There's only so much your parents can do. They cannot take the exams for you. They cannot get the certifications for you. They cannot build and maintain your network for you, etc.

thats true, but asian parents do not want that much for their kids. Just the 'community' should appreciate that ' his kid's a proffesional' :biggrin:
Original post by de_monies

LOL that is so true!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending