The Student Room Group

Finished 2 years of university and want to drop out.

I have finished 2 years of university out of 3 years and I am currently taking a break between 2nd and 3rd year before I go back in September (I am not studying). I am weighing up my options and trying to decide whether to continue studying or drop out and apply for a new course at a later date.

If I drop out of university, would I have to repay the loans immediately that I used in the two years I studied, if so what would I have to repay and how long will I have to repay it? Also, if I drop out and then apply for university later on, for example, 2-3 years down the line would I be entitled to another student loan or would I be considered a mature student and thus have to support myself financially (I am 22 right now)? If I am entitled to another student loan, would it be for the entire time I am at university or would it be a reduced amount because I already studied 2 years? If I decide to continue my course, graduate but then apply for a new course, would I be entitled to another student loan?
Reply 1
You will repay what you've already had on the original terms - 9% of whatever you earn over 15k a year. You will have to repay it for as long as it takes, as you always will have done - dropping out makes no difference to that.

Being classed as a mature student doesn't change your finance entitlement.

Previous study will affect your finance entitlement. If you choose to go back (and if a uni would let you) and just study years 2 and/or 3 you would get full funding (but would be on the new fees of 9k, bear that in mind).

However, if you chose to study a completely new course from the beginning you would get a maintenance loan only for the first year and full funding for the remainder of the course. (having to finance 9k fees completely yourself the first year).

If you graduated now and decided to go back for further study, depending on the course, you would very likely have to pay ELQ fees (on par with international fees), and have absolutely no financial support at all. There are a few exceptions to the ELQ rules which are mostly NHS funded courses or eaching, but you could count on your financial support being minimal to non existent as a graduate.
Original post by Shani
You will repay what you've already had on the original terms - 9% of whatever you earn over 15k a year. You will have to repay it for as long as it takes, as you always will have done - dropping out makes no difference to that.

Being classed as a mature student doesn't change your finance entitlement.

Previous study will affect your finance entitlement. If you choose to go back (and if a uni would let you) and just study years 2 and/or 3 you would get full funding (but would be on the new fees of 9k, bear that in mind).

However, if you chose to study a completely new course from the beginning you would get a maintenance loan only for the first year and full funding for the remainder of the course. (having to finance 9k fees completely yourself the first year).

If you graduated now and decided to go back for further study, depending on the course, you would very likely have to pay ELQ fees (on par with international fees), and have absolutely no financial support at all. There are a few exceptions to the ELQ rules which are mostly NHS funded courses or eaching, but you could count on your financial support being minimal to non existent as a graduate.

Oh, I forgot about the new fees. I'm not quite clued up on all of this. How would it affect me since I registered before 2012?

So if I quit university and not go back in September 2012 I would have to pay 9k? What about if I continue to study? Would the 9k fees still apply but of course, I would still be supported, right?
Reply 3
Yes, if you quit you would have to pay 9k. I'm really not sure what fees you would have to pay after deferring a year, you would have to contact the university's finance department, but yes, you would be fully supported for that final year.
From what I've been told, once you start a degree you stay on the old fees regardless. That also applies if you transfer to a different degree (including if you start again) before you complete the original degree (though that may be restricted to you being at the same university?).

Basically to put it simply, once your in the system you lock in the old fees. If you drop out or graduate, then any future study will be on the new terms.
Thanks Callum. Would be good if I was still charged the old fees but I would still have to support myself which would be a major problem because I already studied 2 years...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending