The Student Room Group

Dropped out of uni 2022-23 need ADVICE?

I dropped out of My first degree in May 2023 and I have always wanted to go to university throughout my entire life a bit sad I know but it was something in which I genuinely wanted to do but now after dropping out I have realised that what I wanted to do for so long was not it. I am extremely happy realising now before I was in my second year or even third but I need advice on these questions that I have;
1. I did reapply during this around Christmas time in 2022 as I knew I was unsure then but my course director told me to finish out the year in which I did I did receive an offer for a degree and in which I wanted to do for so long.
Should I do it this year as I’ve got an offer or defer it a year as I don’t have accommodation and I doubt I will get it for leaving it so late?
2. How does universities take to deferring a year? By letting me take a year out I will grow as a person and I will better prepare myself for university and I really want to travel I know personally I won’t wast it.
3. For my A-level grades I done BTECS in which I achieved D*DM (Distinction*, Distinction, Merit) in three different subjects ICT, Health and Social and Science will the university may not defer my entry for one year for my grades?

Much help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t know anyone who’s ever went to university completely lost in that regard and I don’t know or I have searched around here for other peoples experiences that is similar or close to mines
Original post by username6336292
I dropped out of My first degree in May 2023 and I have always wanted to go to university throughout my entire life a bit sad I know but it was something in which I genuinely wanted to do but now after dropping out I have realised that what I wanted to do for so long was not it. I am extremely happy realising now before I was in my second year or even third but I need advice on these questions that I have;
1. I did reapply during this around Christmas time in 2022 as I knew I was unsure then but my course director told me to finish out the year in which I did I did receive an offer for a degree and in which I wanted to do for so long.
Should I do it this year as I’ve got an offer or defer it a year as I don’t have accommodation and I doubt I will get it for leaving it so late?
2. How does universities take to deferring a year? By letting me take a year out I will grow as a person and I will better prepare myself for university and I really want to travel I know personally I won’t wast it.
3. For my A-level grades I done BTECS in which I achieved D*DM (Distinction*, Distinction, Merit) in three different subjects ICT, Health and Social and Science will the university may not defer my entry for one year for my grades?

Much help would be greatly appreciated as I don’t know anyone who’s ever went to university completely lost in that regard and I don’t know or I have searched around here for other peoples experiences that is similar or close to mines

Quite normal these days for people to take time out during a degree.
I think the main thing is you need to decide what is right for you and perhaps you need some time to do that?
University isn't for everyone.

What course were/are you studying? And what sort of field were you thinking of for a career?

Quick Reply

Latest