The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

BA History 2012

I may have gone blind but I just can't find specific Facebook groups for Kent Uni applicants and History in 2012. Maybe times have changed.
So I thought as I've done this before why not just get to know the people I'll probably meet during my historical adventures (as if we would ever reveal our secret usernames in person:rolleyes:)

I'll start: from London, did Politics at Exeter for first year. Decided I had to return to my love: History. Starting September as confirmed my choice. Probably will choose Keynes as first accommodation but I have no idea yet really, UCAS day is this Wed 22nd.

I read too much in my spare time (probably because I have a lot of it) and currently reading about the history of the Sicilian Mafia, which actually is extremely fascinating and ties into Italian unification bla bla bla etc

So...who else will be studying History come September?
Hey :smile:
I'm currently a first year history student here. Just wanted to say if you, or anyone else has any questions then I'm happy to help :smile:

I take it you have a unconditional offer already then?

Hope you enjoy the UCAS day, I remember mine convinced me, although I did really already know anyway.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Thanks, yeah I got the unconditional and firmed it. It was between Kent and UEA but I just love Canterbury, its so unlike where I live. I.e its nice :tongue:

There's probably a load of questions but I'm sure they will be answered tomorrow. The only things I don't know are the accommodation or much about the city itself. The course itself looks really good, some unis dont have that wide a range of modules and specific pathways but I know even for Kent its down to availability each year. I hear the teaching standards for humanities at Kent are great.

The city itself...I'm not a clubbing man I'm a house party/pub/bar man. However I will go to DJ sets at clubs for drum & bass, dubstep, house, trance etc. Know anything about the Dance scene in Kent? Mainstream or underground

Where have you lived first year and whats it like? What about age range?

When I went Exeter straight after sixth-form and just turned 19 I was the youngest in a flat of 12, mostly because they all did gap years. Now I'm gonna be 21 coming up to 22 when I start so I'm curious as to whether I could be the oldest in a flat.
Original post by under_the_radar
Thanks, yeah I got the unconditional and firmed it. It was between Kent and UEA but I just love Canterbury, its so unlike where I live. I.e its nice :tongue:

There's probably a load of questions but I'm sure they will be answered tomorrow. The only things I don't know are the accommodation or much about the city itself. The course itself looks really good, some unis dont have that wide a range of modules and specific pathways but I know even for Kent its down to availability each year. I hear the teaching standards for humanities at Kent are great.

The city itself...I'm not a clubbing man I'm a house party/pub/bar man. However I will go to DJ sets at clubs for drum & bass, dubstep, house, trance etc. Know anything about the Dance scene in Kent? Mainstream or underground

Where have you lived first year and whats it like? What about age range?

When I went Exeter straight after sixth-form and just turned 19 I was the youngest in a flat of 12, mostly because they all did gap years. Now I'm gonna be 21 coming up to 22 when I start so I'm curious as to whether I could be the oldest in a flat.

I was in the same situation for Kent and UEA last year, and part of my decision was the same: Canterbury is much nicer than where I live lol.
Yeah, I was impressed with the wide range of modules. In the first year the way module choices work is you are forced to do quite a wide span of topics. I did Medieval Europe 400-1066 and Britain and the Home Front last term. This term I'm doing one on the Rennaisance and one on modern America, so quite a variety.

I don't know all that much about the dance scene, there are a few clubs in town, and of course Venue on campus. I recommend the epic thread of Canterbury nightlife on the Kent board to learn more. Basically, there is an epic range of bars, you'll find somewhere you love for sure.

I live in Parkwood 6 bed house, we're all 19 except for one guy who took a gap year. I think it's mostly the same, although I do know a few older people who live in Parkwood. I think one of them specified something about it on their accom form; since they live with a third year, an American exchange and a German exchange.

The accommodation itself is good :smile: I've not had any problems with it; the same in all the options available I guess. I take it you havn't applied for accom yet?
Ah not yet. I was applying last week and my internet cut off halfway. That was lucky though because I really meant to wait until after the UCAS day tomorrow which is essentially an accommodation tour and a lecture. I visited the accommodation once before back in 2009 so that was a long while back but I remember the food being pretty sweet, something on my welcome post about applying for a card thats gets you 25% off campus food and stuff like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending