The Student Room Group

4as levels needed to do law at Oxbridge ?

Hi, I'm currently doing 4 as levels - history, government and politics , geography and psychology. Im really struggling with politics and im just not doing well in it , I didn't want to choose it but felt compelled too because obviously it'd be a good subject for law.
I'm considering dropping it as I don't want my other subjects to suffer , the time I spent revisig politics could've been spent on my other subjects. I really want to go Oxbridge or any good university but I heard oxbridge like 4 as and then 3 a levels. It's really stressing me out as I really just don't get politics but I feel like I have to keep it :/ please help me :frown:
Oh and I got 4 a* 5 a and 2 b at gcse's if that's relevant.
Yes. If not it'll hinder your application a fair bit because most universities (not just oxbridge) would expect 4as's then 3A2s.

However, there might be people that got in with 3as grades, i'm not sure. Can't you ask for extra help outside of school? Or maybe even change subject if you're willing to catch up with the work?
Reply 2
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Yes. If not it'll hinder your application a fair bit because most universities (not just oxbridge) would expect 4as's then 3A2s.

However, there might be people that got in with 3as grades, i'm not sure. Can't you ask for extra help outside of school? Or maybe even change subject if you're willing to catch up with the work?

Oh :/ , I could ask for help but it's more of the examples side I struggle with , and using examples are extremelyimportant and which are changing all the time.I dont have a big interest in politics at all
I could do that too, but I'm not really good at any other subject
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lolazee
Hi, I'm currently doing 4 as levels - history, government and politics , geography and psychology. Im really struggling with politics and im just not doing well in it , I didn't want to choose it but felt compelled too because obviously it'd be a good subject for law.
I'm considering dropping it as I don't want my other subjects to suffer , the time I spent revisig politics could've been spent on my other subjects. I really want to go Oxbridge or any good university but I heard oxbridge like 4 as and then 3 a levels. It's really stressing me out as I really just don't get politics but I feel like I have to keep it :/ please help me :frown:
Oh and I got 4 a* 5 a and 2 b at gcse's if that's relevant.

You really need to keep all 4 AS levels I'm afraid. You're going to be applying against almost everyone else who has 4 AS's and Oxford probably won't even give you the chance to justify why you only did 3. You'll stick out like a sore thumb to be honest.

I was in your position last year and came so so close to dropping geography and doing 3 AS levels. I'm glad I didn't as I wouldn't have got a Cambridge offer for Law.

Politics is all about reading around the subject, watching the news and keeping up to date, particularly at AS. You're going to need to push on through the frustration, go through your textbook and learn the theory (pressure groups, parties, elections etc) and do your best.

Other universities will consider you with 3 AS's, but I highly doubt Oxford would. The competition is always fierce, particularly for Law.

EDIT: you are doing the same AS levels as I did btw :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by barratt15
You really need to keep all 4 AS levels I'm afraid. You're going to be applying against almost everyone else who has 4 AS's and Oxford probably won't even give you the chance to justify why you only did 3. You'll stick out like a sore thumb to be honest.

I was in your position last year and came so so close to dropping geography and doing 3 AS levels. I'm glad I didn't as I wouldn't have got a Cambridge offer for Law.

Politics is all about reading around the subject, watching the news and keeping up to date, particularly at AS. You're going to need to push on through the frustration, go through your textbook and learn the theory (pressure groups, parties, elections etc) and do your best.

Other universities will consider you with 3 AS's, but I highly doubt Oxford would. The competition is always fierce, particularly for Law.

EDIT: you are doing the same AS levels as I did btw :wink:

Ahh right :/ yeah I guess will just have too and hope for the best. Thank you very much :smile: how did you cope haha
Reply 5
Original post by lolazee
Ahh right :/ yeah I guess will just have too and hope for the best. Thank you very much :smile: how did you cope haha

I got my head down and got on with it! That's the kind of attitude you need to show if you're thinking of Oxbridge :smile:
Original post by barratt15
I got my head down and got on with it! That's the kind of attitude you need to show if you're thinking of Oxbridge :smile:

This.

(congrats on your offer btw :h:)
Reply 7
^thanks xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending