The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ayesha.Tabassam95
Excessive daytime sleepiness (EDS) is characterized by persistent sleepiness, and often a general lack of energy, even after apparently adequate night time sleep. EDS is a symptom of one of the two forms of the sleep disorder hypersomnia, the other being prolonged nighttime sleep. (wikipedia)
Referring to the words in bold:
Especially during class
I can sleep for 12 hours straight then Ill still feel tired when I wake up (although I do get a headache when I wake up which usually means I go back to sleep if I do).
So do I qualify??

I don't know lol, I'm not a doctor. It's funny were talking about it, my modalert (modafinil) turned up in the post today, I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Also, to the guy who mentioned it can interrupt sleep, it depends. If you take it just before bed then you'll probably struggle sleeping i.e. doing an all-nighter, but if you take it in the morning for an alert day, then you can still get a solid 8 hours sleep every night.

As a side-note, something quite weird about modafinil, I read that if people use it to stay awake for really long periods (I'm assuming days) then although mentally they don't get that tired, they show physical signs of being tired, i.e bags.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by moya
Using an alarm clock can make you feel really tired waking up, and it's quite unpleasant. Although most people do use an alarm clock, I would try waking up without one for a few days (if this is possible, maybe try at the weekend where you don't need to wake up for anything) and you shouldn't be tired when you wake up. If this is the case, then you can try adjusting your sleeping patterns, like going to bed earlier and not using an alarm clock and then you won't feel so tired when you wake up.

Stuff like modafinil will work, and will surpress the need to crawl back in to bed but it interrupts your natural sleeping cycle, and that means that you are just generally not getting enough sleep. Getting enough sleep > modafinil

Read this article if you have time, it's really interesting and has helped me: http://www.supermemo.com/articles/sleep.htm

Its really long! Ill read it when I have time :smile: Thanks
I dont think I could do that, Id probably sleep for ages. Ive tried adjusting my sleeping times before but I always get disturbed!
Do you get up without an alarm clock?! :eek:
Original post by kratos90
I don't know lol, I'm not a doctor. It's funny were talking about it, my modalert (modafinil) turned up in the post today, I wasn't expecting it so soon.

Also, to the guy who mentioned it can interrupt sleep, it depends. If you take it just before bed then you'll probably struggle sleeping i.e. doing an all-nighter, but if you take it in the morning for an alert day, then you can still get a solid 8 hours sleep every night.

As a side-note, something quite weird about modafinil, I read that if people use it to stay awake for really long periods (I'm assuming days) then although mentally they don't get that tired, they show physical signs of being tired, i.e bags.

Oh okay. Did you get yours off the internet?!
I already have bags so I could probably get away with it! :smile:
Reply 63
Oh okay. Did you get yours off the internet?!
I already have bags so I could probably get away with it! :smile:

Yes I did.
Yes I did.

How do you know its reliable?
And how do you know how much to take??
Reply 65
How do you know its reliable?
And how do you know how much to take??

Because they delivered what I ordered and it's definitely the real stuff. Plus I did lots and lots of research before ordering. I came across many to avoid like the plague, some that were a maybe but not worth the risk and a few that I am as close to 100% as you can be with this sort of thing, that they are legit.

How much to take; I just read on forums and websites.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Because they delivered what I ordered and it's definitely the real stuff. Plus I did lots and lots of research before ordering. I came across many to avoid like the plague, some that were a maybe but not worth the risk and a few that I am as close to 100% as you can be with this sort of thing, that they are legit.

How much to take; I just read on forums and websites.

Hey kratos90, could you PM the details of the website please?

Thanks!
Reply 67
@adamharris no
Are they? Are they?

They can inform the police if you have confessed to comitting a crime, if you are going to be a danger to the public or other people.

They can tell your parents if you are under 18 and deemed as incompetent to make a decision about something but they will usually tell you before they tell your parents. What was this about by the way?
Reply 69
Short answer no. they shouldn't pass any information to either police or parents if the patient is an adult. the only exception is in those very rare cases where the public interest outweighs your confidentiality, eg if you admit to training as a suicide bomber or that you're an active paedophile.
Reply 70
Original post by enigma1122
They can inform the police if you have confessed to comitting a crime, if you are going to be a danger to the public or other people.

They can tell your parents if you are under 18 and deemed as incompetent to make a decision about something but they will usually tell you before they tell your parents. What was this about by the way?

I think this was when I was going to take ritalin but I didn't anyway. But it's funny because I was just going to create a new thread but since this has been bumped anyway I will post it here.

I have taken steroids and I want to tell my doctor about it and have blood tests and get my testosterone levels checked etc. but I would rather be open with my doctor about my steroid use. I think I read somewhere it goes on your record and certain employers can see this or something? Is this true? Or maybe doctors won't want to deal with you or will be more hesitant about giving you prescriptions in the future?
(edited 11 years ago)
they cant tell your parents, unless perhaps they are worried that you may do something stupid eg suicide
police yes - if you tell them something they have a duty to inform police and possibly social services
I think this was when I was going to take ritalin but I didn't anyway. But it's funny because I was just going to create a new thread but since this has been bumped anyway I will post it here.

I have taken steroids and I want to tell my doctor about it and have blood tests and get my testosterone levels checked etc. but I would rather be open with my doctor about my steroid use. I think I read somewhere it goes on your record and certain employers can see this or something? Is this true? Or maybe doctors won't want to deal with you or will be more hesitant about giving you prescriptions in the future?

I think what you tell your doctor will be recorded in your health notes, however, your employers can in no way have access to your health records unless you grant them it. If your employers require you to have a health clearance letter from your GP, the GP needs your permission to tell your employers any information about your health, and you should be able to see the information before it is sent to the employer. The only people who can see your health record is you and your doctors surgery, and the only way your employer can find out about your past health issues is if they ask and you tell them, or you allow your GP to tell them. In any case your employer probably won't ask if its not relevant.

Latest