The Student Room Group

Presentations...Love them or Loathe them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by VickyTink
Loathe them.

But that would be because I seem to have an inability to speak...not just in front of a crowd, but when i'm in a conversation with another person...happens when i'm typing too. I've never thought i'm dyslexic, but there's certain words I can't say at all, no matter how much I try.

I don't mind speaking in front of a crowd though...it's just really annoying that I can't say words which need to be said as there isn't another alternative!

I have the same problem as you. Ive got a stutter, and I cant say certain words also, which at times is quite funny, but when your doing a presentation and your trying to say a word for like 5 minutes you lose a bit of time.

I actually went to see whether or not I was dyslexic, actually the other week and I found out that I was. Not saying that you are also dyslexic, but you may as well find out whether you are or not.
Reply 21
Love them, but only if it the subject topic is something I enjoy or find interesting.
I really enjoy public speaking, although it's better when you're arguing a point rather than doing a generic presentation about something. I like debating/doing mock trials for my degree because you get a chance to challenge and respond to someone else.
Reply 23
Ok. the weirdest I've seen was when one group had 2 people fighting to be 'boss' and it ended up as a mash up of 2 presentations going in different directions. The more usual problem is that noone wants to be boss though.
Reply 24
I prefer individual presentations.

Working in a group is painful (especially at A-level) where people do not tend to take such things seriously, and there is always one person who doesn't contribute.
I hate giving presententaions because when im in front of everyone i cant think about what im saying so i tend to mess up what I say and just end up reading off the slides.
Reply 26
They don't really bother me.
Original post by Emma-21
I'm exactly the same. I'm nervous from the night before right up until I finish the presentation!

What course do you do?

I hope my course next year won't involve too many presentations. :frown:
I don't like them.
Sometimes they're not too bad but other times I despise them.
I guess it depends who I'm giving them to. Like in psychology they're OK because our class is small and we all get along but in history I don't know most of the class that well so it makes giving presentations even more nerve-wracking. Either way I get all embarassed, go bright red and stumble on my words :redface:
I like presenting things I actually like. :smile: Like a sales pitch.
Reply 30
I'm ok with presentations now, my uni even employs me to give them (easy money yay!) but i am dreading one that I have for a module this semester. It's part of a group coursework, with a 5 page report being written by around 10 of us, then three weeks later one of us will be selected at random to present the report. At the moment it is unclear whether we will find out in advance who is presenting or on the day. The mark for the coursework is 50% report and 50% presentation (even if we don't give it) the only bonus is that it is worth 15% of the entire module
Reply 31
Depends. If I'm well prepared then I'm confident I'll be fine so I tend to worry a little less. Although, at times, I do just want it over and done with so I speak really, really fast :tongue:

Group presentations are an absolute nightmare though. There's always one tosser in the group and working with other people generally just pisses me off. I hate this whole 'oh but you'll have to work with others when you enter the world of work'...NO! If people didn't pull their weight in that situation, they'd get the sack - how the **** is it the same!? /rant
Love them if I know what I'm talking about, loathe them if I don't. Hate any presentation in French. :thumbsdown:
I have to give a 25 minute seminar to lecturers/students/an examiner in less than 2 weeks O_o haven't started preparing. SAVE MEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 34
I absolutely hate them. If there's one phobia I have, it's public speaking, and the thought of having to give a presentation really petrifies me. If there's a way I can get out of doing one, I try it. I'm not even sure why I fear public speaking so much, because rationally I know nothing bad's going to happen, but the mental and physiological effects of fear come anyway. It's not something a person just 'gets used to' unless they do them regularly and often, and if they stop doing them, they return more-or-less to the way they were.
Reply 35
When I do a presentation, it doesn't feel like it's me speaking and hence it feels like I have no control over what I'm saying. Does anyone else get that? I kind of feel like I'm a robot being used to make the words but my brain seems disconnected. I do say the right things... but I'm not even sure how.

It's weird!

Another thing - I always feel a million times less nervous if I'm sitting down.
Original post by Emma-21
I'm exactly the same. I'm nervous from the night before right up until I finish the presentation!

It's even on my mind for a few days before. :redface: Hopefully you're done and dusted with them. I'm on a gap year, not at uni yet but I think I'll be like you in never getting used to them. When I was in year 7/8 I was fine with speeches and presentations. I used to do the best in them. I suppose a few more years in state school education demolished my nerves to a trainwreck. :tongue:
Reply 37
Original post by Emma-21
I just had what hopefully is my last Uni presentation ever!

And from my first year the teachers always said I would get used to them, but I never did. When I present in front of the class, even if it's a group presentation, my voice shakes, my hands shake, my face goes red!

I hate them soo much!!!

I don't know about you, but when I'm watching presentations by other students I go into auto pilot and don't really take too much notice/knowledge from what they're saying. Its easier said than done, but no one really is too worried about you, they're more worried about getting a first themselves, so relax and its not so hard.
Reply 38
Original post by EffieFlowers
What course do you do?

I hope my course next year won't involve too many presentations. :frown:

I do Tourism Management. And we had about 2/3 presentations a year. :frown:
Original post by tomcol23
I have the same problem as you. Ive got a stutter, and I cant say certain words also, which at times is quite funny, but when your doing a presentation and your trying to say a word for like 5 minutes you lose a bit of time.

I actually went to see whether or not I was dyslexic, actually the other week and I found out that I was. Not saying that you are also dyslexic, but you may as well find out whether you are or not.

I don't have a stutter, but I've always just put it down to talking too fast, or typing too fast, but I make the same mistakes typing as I do talking.

I might go and take a dyslexia test, but whether it's down to practice or what, I don't seem to be dyslexic when I concentrate fully on what i'm doing.

Thanks for the advice though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending