The Student Room Group

Whether to do economics at Nottingham or law at Durham

Hey guys,

I would be grateful if you could give me opinions on this. I'm currently a first year economics student at Nottingham University. Initially, I was very unhappy with my course so I reapplied to do law, now I've recieved an unconditional offer from Durham, but not sure whether to go. What is Durham's reputation (compared to UCL, King's and Bristol) like with the city law firms and are job prospects good for their graduates?

I'm also worried about the nagative views people seem to have about Durham being pretentious, emulating the likes of oxbridge when it clear isn't, is this true?

Thanks
do you still feel comfy with your course? If not then you might as well switch. Personally I think a law degree from Durham is equivalent to the likes of Bristol or the London colleges...so I don't think that it will be a problem. As for the pretentious thing...no comments.
Reply 2
I'd switch if you don't like your course. Durham is certainly on a par with the London colleges, Bristol, Nottingham etc.

I don't think that Durham is overly pretentious. From what I've heard one or two of the colleges are slightly that way but for the most part it's pretty good. What college did you apply to?
Reply 3
Durham is fab. My parents are friends with the guy in charge at Hilde and Bede (i've totally forgotton what he's called).
They were at a dinner thing there last week and it was great fun. They aren't overly pretentious.
I kinda wish i'd applied there for law, maybe i'd have got in...
Reply 4
Hey,
Thanks for all your views, I made an open application and my offer is for Van Mildert College. Any one konw anything about that college, is it nice?
I've applied for Castle and found it rather stuffy and pretentious on the open day. It was all very rah but then again it is supposedly the most 'prestigious Durham college'. Van Mildert has a very informal and friendly atmosphere from what I hear.
Reply 6
Durham is a lovely place - I'd definitely go there! It has a good reputation for law, and will be looked on favourably by law firms too.
If my country had recognise law degree from Durham, I would have applied there too.
Reply 8
It doesn't? Singapore does though....

Latest

Trending

Trending