The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Interdisciplinary science foundation course at Leeds

Scroll to see replies

Thank you. Have you got a selection day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 61
Original post by Nafeesa0195
Me too. Got a selection day on the 17th.

How did it go?
Unfortunately was unable to attend so I have rearranged it
Just a question on this course please?
Obviously it allows for progression onto Leeds degree courses, but what would be the process to go to Leeds for this foundation course and then apply to switch to another university for a BSC/MPhys?
Would you go through UCAS or apply directly, such as you would if you switched in the 1st year proper?
Ta
Original post by Colinj451
Just a question on this course please?
Obviously it allows for progression onto Leeds degree courses, but what would be the process to go to Leeds for this foundation course and then apply to switch to another university for a BSC/MPhys?
Would you go through UCAS or apply directly, such as you would if you switched in the 1st year proper?
Ta

You apply through UCAS however you need to contact individual unis before as not all consider the foundation year suitable for entry to their course (I applied to several other places while on the foundation program for physics)

The only difficulties with this are predicted grades (as you won't have your January exam results upon applying, and strength of the reference as it needs to be from the foundation year tutor you are assigned but they won't have known you for very long)

A list of unis I enquired at for physics were is below and whether they consider the foundation year suitable for entry to first year of their course

- kcl (yes)
- qmul (yes)
- Birmingham (sort of)
- Nottingham (no)
- Warwick (no)
- Durham (yes)
- Bristol (yes)
- Surrey (no)
- UCL (no)
- imperial (no)
- Southampton (yes)
- Manchester (yes)
- Oxford (said yes but in practical terms due to their early application time you can't apply there in the same year as doing the course)
Original post by madmadmax321
You apply through UCAS however you need to contact individual unis before as not all consider the foundation year suitable for entry to their course (I applied to several other places while on the foundation program for physics)

The only difficulties with this are predicted grades (as you won't have your January exam results upon applying, and strength of the reference as it needs to be from the foundation year tutor you are assigned but they won't have known you for very long)

A list of unis I enquired at for physics were is below and whether they consider the foundation year suitable for entry to first year of their course

- kcl (yes)
- qmul (yes)
- Birmingham (sort of)
- Nottingham (no)
- Warwick (no)
- Durham (yes)
- Bristol (yes)
- Surrey (no)
- UCL (no)
- imperial (no)
- Southampton (yes)
- Manchester (yes)
- Oxford (said yes but in practical terms due to their early application time you can't apply there in the same year as doing the course)

Brilliant, thanks for your clear input

If you decide to remain at Leeds is the admissions handled internally or still via UCAS? Not sure if its treated as an integrated course like some or more standalone.
Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi, The course is now taught entirely on the University of Leeds campus. You do not need to fill in an additional UCAS form to progress at Leeds- it is an integrated course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi I wondering if anyone with a offer to start this course in September has gotten any information about Kickstart?
Reply 68
Original post by Jadoreidior
Hi I wondering if anyone with a offer to start this course in September has gotten any information about Kickstart?

Hey,
I've received an email , all the information is provided , just need to start completing my task online now
Hi, I was wondering what kickstart is, it sounds like some sort of project?
Reply 70
Yo, I've firmed Leeds for this course but I still think that I'm going to miss my offer so would I be able to apply for this course through clearing if it's available?

p.s. finished my kickstarter thingy thing, just need to finish the essay lol.
Hi I've been stuck on a kickstart maths question and was wondering if anyone knows the time Beth is 5km from her home, its the last part of question 10?
Reply 72
Original post by Jadoreidior
Hi I've been stuck on a kickstart maths question and was wondering if anyone knows the time Beth is 5km from her home, its the last part of question 10?

I'm pretty sure it was 15:45
does anyone know what the the letter sent out for the introduction day said, with the criteria for the presentation on our given scientist.
Hi, I am applying for this foundation year and was wondering did you guys have a maths diagnostics test and written assessment when you where there thanks.
Reply 75
Original post by University of Leeds
Hi Guys,

Please can you let me know which course you are referring to/which part of the website you are looking at and I'll make sure our website is updated!

Thanks
Laura
University of Leeds

Hi, I am a Year 12 student and I will be starting my UCAS application soon, I would like to know if I would be able to apply to this course. I would hopefully love to be able to progress onto Dentistry. I did do my GCSE’ s at a school below the national average, but I now attend a school that is above the national school average, and I do meet the GCSE entry requirement for the Dentistry Course at Leeds, however I believe I may get predicted CCC or lower, As I came from a low national average school, I do not know if my 6- form college would give me good predicted grades to progress onto the Dentistry course, therefore I would like to know if I am able to apply to this course, due to my circumstances, even though I am not a mature student. Would I also be able to put this course as my back up option?
n
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Airbus.Boeing
Hi guys, I was actually on the Interdisciplinary Science foundation year or CFG0 as it's referred to. Was on the course year starting 2010-11. The course itself is quite challenging a lot...and I mean a lot of work to cover in such a short time. Maintaining a balance throughout the year between studying and partying is the key to success here. Do not leave work to the last minute! (Like I did lol)

Most of the year is based at Leeds City College with one lecture a week actually based on the Uni campus...I know it's not exciting but work hard and you'll be transferred onto your chosen course the following year. There is a vast amount of progression choices to choose from..nanotechnology (me :biggrin:) to Astrophysics and medicine it's all there. Each progression choice has different entry requirements and compulsory modules you have to do.

Last year there were some exceptional students who did really well...like averaged 90% overall for the year...work hard and there's a chance of a scholarship. I know of two students who managed to get it.

You have some great lecturers...in particular Gary Dickinson (mathematics) and Bob (physics)..they're awesome!! You will find some modules may not be as exciting as you would like but it's important to keep up with work from day one.

Happy to answer any questions :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Hi I’ve applied to this course and I have a selection day, I’m curious did you also attend one. I have a campus tour, a s maths test (which is all GSCE content ) and an interview, any tips ??
Hi I’ve applied to this course and I have a selection day, I’m curious did anybody else attend one. I have a campus tour, a maths test (which is all GSCE content ) and an interview, any tips ??
Reply 78
How did it go? What was the interview like? I have a selection day on 11th march.
Hi I’m hoping to apply this year and I also want to go into dentistry, did you get in? Did you have to reapply for dentistry after the year and do you have to sit UCAT exams aswell ?

Quick Reply

Latest