The Student Room Group

How can anyone like Doctor Who?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by luae
Meh. It wasn't as bad or rage-inducing as some of the episodes last season, but I'm really sick of the sassy/confident/always-has-a-smart-reply/constantly-one-upping-the-Doctor female leads. What happened to companions who didn't all follow the same personality type...

THIS, SO MUCH. I am so sick of Amy Pond and her ****ing pouting.
I was gonna say something like this on the Dr. Who thread but figured I'd just get negged to oblivion and met with fanboy arguments rather than there being a proper debate on it, glad I was wrong! I still enjoy Dr. Who but honestly it feels like the stories have had to be dumbed down a little because Matt Smith doesn't have the acting versatility David Tennant has. Maybe some viewers (like myself) were just spoiled by having Tennant's awesomeness in the series for so long :dontknow:
Original post by Battenberg
I was gonna say something like this on the Dr. Who thread but figured I'd just get negged to oblivion and met with fanboy arguments rather than there being a proper debate on it, glad I was wrong! I still enjoy Dr. Who but honestly it feels like the stories have had to be dumbed down a little because Matt Smith doesn't have the acting versatility David Tennant has. Maybe some viewers (like myself) were just spoiled by having Tennant's awesomeness in the series for so long :dontknow:

I would disagree on Smith's acting ability. Tennant's acting style is a lot more charismatic and boisterous with Smith being more subtle.

Some of the expressions Smith makes with his eyes alone are just fantastic.

I'd put that down to their acting backrounds - Tennant is a Shakespearian actor and Smith is clearly trained within the bounds of television and that really does show, not just in Doctor Who but in everything they've appeared in.
Original post by Greeny442
I would disagree on Smith's acting ability. Tennant's acting style is a lot more charismatic and boisterous with Smith being more subtle.

I'd put that down to their acting backrounds - Tennant is a Shakespearian actor and Smith is clearly trained within the bounds of television and that really does show, not just in Doctor Who but in everything they've appeared in.

Each to their own I guess, I just don't feel the depth and history behind Smith's doctor that I did with Tennant's.
Original post by Greeny442

Tennant is a far better actor. Just compare their previous roles, for example the Ruby in the Smoke and Harry Potter. David Tennant is more of an emotional, dark actor which I guess matched Doctor Who being more mature than it is now. Smith is a good actor but the character he plays is crap.

Each to their own I guess, I just don't feel the depth and history behind Smith's doctor that I did with Tennant's.

Agreed.

Would you put that down to the direction of the show or the acting though? T Davies focussed a lot more on the 'old' DW monsters and had a lot of "I'm the Doctor, look me up" whereas Moffat has put more emphasis on exploring new ideas - last series finale and today's episode does seem to have made it a priority to remove the Doctor's name and reputation from the Universe.
Reply 186
Original post by luae
Meh. It wasn't as bad or rage-inducing as some of the episodes last season, but I'm really sick of the sassy/confident/always-has-a-smart-reply/constantly-one-upping-the-Doctor female leads. What happened to companions who didn't all follow the same personality type...

Agreed. I'm getting bored of cocky smart ass female companions now.
Original post by AuburnGem
Agreed. I'm getting bored of cocky smart ass female companions now.

Do Amy and Rory even actually do anything? With the exceptinon of Donna, Jack, Martha and Rose used to help out?
Reply 188
Original post by Miracle Day
Do Amy and Rory even actually do anything? With the exceptinon of Donna, Jack, Martha and Rose used to help out?

Tbh, I think it's 50/50 they help out in a significant way...or maybe 60/40, I can't think of anything right now :redface: except for the last episode of the last series.
Reply 189
I agree. I used to be a big DW fan but I stopped watching last series, I really enjoyed Tennants dark, haunted doctor which I felt really fitted a character who while doing good has still left a huge trail of destruction throughout the universe. During tennants run it felt like the consequences of his lifestyle were catching up with him but now it become very childish. My main issue was ressurecting Rory, until then I was displeased but still watching. I really disliked this because it felt forced an like it was done purely for the happy ending. In a show where the plot usually centres around life threatening situations the characters need to be able to die or there is no tension. Currently I feel that however bad things get the doctor will save everything in the end. Sometimes the Doctor needs to fail to keep it exciting.
This blog post (by Alex Day, yay!) is excellent and highlights many of the problems with the show: http://www.leakynews.com/giving-up-on-doctor-who/
Original post by rainbow drops
This blog post (by Alex Day, yay!) is excellent and highlights many of the problems with the show: http://www.leakynews.com/giving-up-on-doctor-who/

Totally agree with all of that
Just realised that although the new episode (Asylum of the Daleks) had hundreds of Daleks, we never saw them kill anyone -_-

And they mentioned nothing, absolutely nothing, about the Time War!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by BP_Tranquility
Just realised that although the new episode (Asylum of the Daleks) had hundreds of Daleks, we never saw them kill anyone -_-

And they mentioned nothing, absolutely nothing, about the Time War!

In the episode itself or just the Daleks?

If the former, yes they did. The 'intensive care' area for the Daleks were all from Battles in the Time War. Oswin listed out the names and the Doctor said he knew them as against him in the Time War.
Original post by SirMasterKey
In the episode itself or just the Daleks?

If the former, yes they did. The 'intensive care' area for the Daleks were all from Battles in the Time War. Oswin listed out the names and the Doctor said he knew them as against him in the Time War.

I was referring to the Daleks themselves, yes :smile:

I was referring to the Daleks themselves, yes :smile:

What need did they have to mention it themselves then?
Reply 196
It feels like a different show to me. Probably because for the first time in the new series, neither the companion nor the doctor is consistent in season 5. and from there, it's the same companions AND the same doctor for 3 seasons. Having at least one new face each season kept it fresh, whilst still having a character from the previous season to keep continuity.

Another thing that bugged me is that 11 and 10 seems to have absolutely no link. When 9 became 10 he was essentially the same person in a different body - he remembered everything, had the same feelings for rose, had the same relaitonship with her family, etc etc. 11 seems to have forgotten absolutely everything. Does he even remember who rose is? Does he care at all for any of his previous companions? when 10 died, he said goodbye to all of them - perhaps Moffat wanted all of that closed so he could start fresh. But it doesn't work that way. Since Matt Smith joined I have seen absolutely no evidence that he and 9/10 are even the same person.

WHAT IS MORE I swear to god if I see any more spunky-fearless-flirty-scottish-bimbo from Amy I will shank someone.
[No spoilers of future episodes]
Why all the hate, I thought it was good. I am especially interested in how

Spoiler

which really is a storyline over all of Moffat's work.

It actually seems *less* childish now than it was under RTD (although I did like RTD, especially for series 1). Children are supposed to remember story arcs that span four years?

I thought it was good but, honestly, the ending was disheartening as the Daleks, now suffering from amnesia, have forgotten about the Doctor. Does that mean they won't be as deadly anymore? :frown:

Apart from that, the episode was quite nail-biting and captivating and the revelation at the end was excellent :smile:

Quoted you to suggest you read my spoilered bit. If Moffat has sense, which I think he has, this most certainly won't be the end to that. He wouldn't change such a key element on a whim.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Lumos
It feels like a different show to me. Probably because for the first time in the new series, neither the companion nor the doctor is consistent in season 5. and from there, it's the same companions AND the same doctor for 3 seasons. Having at least one new face each season kept it fresh, whilst still having a character from the previous season to keep continuity.

Another thing that bugged me is that 11 and 10 seems to have absolutely no link. When 9 became 10 he was essentially the same person in a different body - he remembered everything, had the same feelings for rose, had the same relaitonship with her family, etc etc. 11 seems to have forgotten absolutely everything. Does he even remember who rose is? Does he care at all for any of his previous companions? when 10 died, he said goodbye to all of them - perhaps Moffat wanted all of that closed so he could start fresh. But it doesn't work that way. Since Matt Smith joined I have seen absolutely no evidence that he and 9/10 are even the same person.

WHAT IS MORE I swear to god if I see any more spunky-fearless-flirty-scottish-bimbo from Amy I will shank someone.

I think there was when Martha and Rose appeared on the hologram in the Tardis but I agree, you don't just cast them out of your lives like that.
Original post by Miracle Day
x

I think what's ironic is you're criticising the last couple of series of doctor who when your username is based on the WORST series of torchwood. It was horrible, especially that bit at the end where that CIA guy apparently becomes immortal like Jack through a simple blood transfusion. What bull****! It took Rose to absorb the time vortex to make Jack immortal.

Quick Reply

Latest