The Student Room Group

Medicine Interview Discussion 2023 Entry

Link to last year's thread

Some more information about the medicine application process including interview prep made by yours truely

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs.
(1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and
(2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Taken from @A_J_Bs' template - thank you:hugs:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm going to question of the day(s) because it'll honestly depend on how much time I have so please bear with:smile:
Question of the Day(s)

What qualities make a good Doctor?

thank you :biggrin:

Original post by _Rusty_
I'm going to question of the day(s) because it'll honestly depend on how much time I have so please bear with:smile:

I can help with question of the days depending on my schedule but I dont think I have time this year to collate them all :frown:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Saturo_
thank you :biggrin:

I can help with question of the days depending on my schedule but I dont think I have time this year to collate them all :frown:

No worries we’ll do what we can. Any help is appreciated
Original post by _Rusty_
All discussed interview Qs from last year's thread Thanks to @Saturo_

Some more information about the medicine application process including interview prep made by yours truely

Do not discuss specific questions, tests, or any other details regarding interviews or MMIs.
(1) It is against TSR rules and most likely the med schools' rules, and
(2) it is in your advantage not to share, because you will be giving your "competitors" an advantage.

Please quote me if you wanted any advice. I will periodically pop in to give helpful tips and general feedback as the interview cycle goes on.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Taken from @A_J_Bs' template - thank you:hugs:

Watching, hope I can help in my free time :hugs:
Reply 9
Original post by _Rusty_
Question of the Day(s)

Empathy, communication, teamwork. Lots more such as leadership and problem solving, but those 3 seem like the easiest to talk about in an interview.
Original post by a._5
Empathy, communication, teamwork. Lots more such as leadership and problem solving, but those 3 seem like the easiest to talk about in an interview.

Those are good points to mention you're correct, but could you attempt to make an answer from it?
Just mentioning the qualities isn't enough :smile:
Just fyi, the link above to this doesn't actually work, is that intentional by @Saturo_ ? :smile:

Original post by Ionomer
Just fyi, the link above to this doesn't actually work, is that intentional by @Saturo_ ? :smile:

uhhh I haven't deleted it :cry: Let me go have a look and see if I can find the doc
@_Rusty_ I can't find the document from last year on my drive but I would never delete it, i'm so confused :frown: Do you think anyone saved it?
Reply 14
Original post by Saturo_
Those are good points to mention you're correct, but could you attempt to make an answer from it?
Just mentioning the qualities isn't enough :smile:

Oh okay.

Well if I was to focus on communication I'd say it's important because doctors need to be able to relay information to patients, making sure it's easy for them to understand but also making sure that they're fully informed of all the risks involved. Communication is also important when working with other members of your MDT as a doctor - if everyone is on the same page and is aware of all the facts, patient care can be optimised.

Then I'd give an example of when I developed my communication skills - e.g. volunteering in a care home where I had to talk to elderly people etc
Original post by _Rusty_
Question of the Day(s)

hmm i think the obvious ones like empathy, compassion and patience your patients need to feel heard, valued and need to feel comfortable sharing their concerns with you as their doctor.

i also think being receptive to criticism and being able to seek second opinions from colleagues when you’re unsure of your own judgement so that you’re always working towards providing better care to your patients (non-maleficence)?

+ a general drive for helping others as well as problem-solving and quick thinking skills, a strong moral compass

just brain-blurting, i can’t really tell how coherent this is 💀
Reply 16
Original post by nightingalegend
hmm i think the obvious ones like empathy, compassion and patience your patients need to feel heard, valued and need to feel comfortable sharing their concerns with you as their doctor.

i also think being receptive to criticism and being able to seek second opinions from colleagues when you’re unsure of your own judgement so that you’re always working towards providing better care to your patients (non-maleficence)?

+ a general drive for helping others as well as problem-solving and quick thinking skills, a strong moral compass

just brain-blurting, i can’t really tell how coherent this is 💀

All good stuff! Maybe mention how a doctor should be engaging in lifelong learning to remain updated regarding recent advances in the medical field+honesty when interacting with patients
Original post by a._5

Brilliant but can you expand - you have to talk for a couple of minutes.
Original post by Saturo_
@_Rusty_ I can't find the document from last year on my drive but I would never delete it, i'm so confused :frown: Do you think anyone saved it?

I've just looked and can't find it either! @FutureMBBS @Clintt15 do you have it?
Original post by a._5
Oh okay.

Well if I was to focus on communication I'd say it's important because doctors need to be able to relay information to patients, making sure it's easy for them to understand but also making sure that they're fully informed of all the risks involved. Communication is also important when working with other members of your MDT as a doctor - if everyone is on the same page and is aware of all the facts, patient care can be optimised.

Then I'd give an example of when I developed my communication skills - e.g. volunteering in a care home where I had to talk to elderly people etc

Carry on! you need to say as much as possible:smile:
Original post by hungrysalamander
I like how a megathread was bumped by the hippocrates bot :rofl:

Its getting too good:lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending