The Student Room Group

Biomedical ethics and law book suggestions?

Hey there,

I'm currently thinking of applying for medicine. Recently I have become very interested in the philosophy and ethics involved in medicine. I have read a few introductory books on ethics in general but I am looking to further my knowledge of Biomedical ethics in particular as I would like to move away from the meta-ethics and philosophy and focus more on applied ethics.

I was wondering which books most medical schools use for teaching Bioethics and law because if I am going to spent £20-£40 on a book I'd like to get one that I can use on my course. (If I get in) :tongue:

Are there any books that you would recommend buying?
I was thinking about this one but it's quite 'hench' and costs a fair amount.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Biomedical-Ethics-Beauchamp/dp/0195335708/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Psilocybe_frog
Hey there,

I'm currently thinking of applying for medicine. Recently I have become very interested in the philosophy and ethics involved in medicine. I have read a few introductory books on ethics in general but I am looking to further my knowledge of Biomedical ethics in particular as I would like to move away from the meta-ethics and philosophy and focus more on applied ethics.

I was wondering which books most medical schools use for teaching Bioethics and law because if I am going to spent £20-£40 on a book I'd like to get one that I can use on my course. (If I get in) :tongue:

Are there any books that you would recommend buying?
I was thinking about this one but it's quite 'hench' and costs a fair amount.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Principles-Biomedical-Ethics-Beauchamp/dp/0195335708/ref=pd_sim_b_6

Thanks.

I've heard so many positive things about 100 cases in clinical law and ethics however personally I would just get a small book like introduction to ethics etc. Also I would completely avoid buying any books until you're on the course, then using the library there buy what you definitely need. Also go and look at the books before you buy them do NOT buy before you have seen them! Different people prefer different things. Also if your course is more PBL than lecture based you will require books more than the other way around where you'll find it rare to even need a book. Trust me, don't spend where you don't need. You're better off buying something more cool like a sphyngomanometer.
Reply 2
Well, perhaps it's because i'm a bit impatient but I would like to learn more about Biomedical ethics now rather than wait till later as it is just something that I enjoy reading :colondollar:. I just wanted to know whether I would be able to limit wasting money by having to buy a very similar book later.
Unless you intercalate in law and ethics, you really won't need to buy a book in it for med school. You'll be able to borrow what you need from the library. That's what I intercalated in, and I still only bought 2 books, both during my intercalated year, and wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

The book we used at Birmingham mainly was Principles of Biomedical Ethics by Beauchamp and Childress. (I think this may be in your link above but am on dial up internet in Africa so haven't tried it) But there were loads of library copies and so I never bought it. I can't remember the name of the one I actually ended up buying that I used a lot. But I really would think twice about spending lots of money like that at the moment, even if it's something that interests you.
Unless you intercalate in law and ethics, you really won't need to buy a book in it for med school. You'll be able to borrow what you need from the library. That's what I intercalated in, and I still only bought 2 books, both during my intercalated year, and wouldn't have bothered otherwise.

The book we used at Birmingham mainly was Principles of Biomedical Ethics by Beauchamp and Childress. (I think this may be in your link above but am on dial up internet in Africa so haven't tried it) But there were loads of library copies and so I never bought it. I can't remember the name of the one I actually ended up buying that I used a lot. But I really would think twice about spending lots of money like that at the moment, even if it's something that interests you.
Reply 5
Original post by junior.doctor

The book we used at Birmingham mainly was Principles of Biomedical Ethics by Beauchamp and Childress.

Ok I have looked on amazon and this book is considerably cheaper than the other one I was thinking of buying but it looks like it has the detail I was looking for. Thanks for your help. :wink: (I'm not ignoring your advice but I have a fair amount of money left from my job last year and therefore I reckon I can afford the loss.:smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending