The Student Room Group

Feedback on A2 English Lit. exam result (AQA LITB3)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Definitely something wrong with the syllabus! Doing Gothic of LITB3, AQA don't give their correct definition of gothic at all which makes it even harder to understand what they want us to write about!!
Original post by Solera1847
This is what I received.

Thanks and thanks again!
Does anyone know the balance between the exam and coursework at A2? I've heard it's 70% exam, 30% coursework - is that right?

Cheers
Reply 103
Original post by giveandtake
Does anyone know the balance between the exam and coursework at A2? I've heard it's 70% exam, 30% coursework - is that right?

Cheers

Same as last year 60% Exam and 40% c/w. So if you add that to your AS grade, the A2 exam for your whole overall grade is worth 30% and A2 c/w is 20%. Hope this makes sense :smile:
Reply 104
hey, i know this thread was posted a few months ago but i'm taking this exam next week and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what questions came up on the January exam so i know what not to expect? I need the questions for Macbeth, Dracula and Wuthering Heights, the Section B questions for the Gothic would also be greatly appreciated if anyone can remember them :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by VickiLew
hey, i know this thread was posted a few months ago but i'm taking this exam next week and i was wondering if anyone could tell me what questions came up on the January exam so i know what not to expect? I need the questions for Macbeth, Dracula and Wuthering Heights, the Section B questions for the Gothic would also be greatly appreciated if anyone can remember them :smile:

Hi i'm taking this exam for the first time next week (really nervous). Someone else on The Student Room posted this link to the January exam paper, it hasn't photocopied very well, but you can make out the questions.
http://jwpblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/exam-paper-jan-2112.pdf
hi team. Here are some of my quotes on The Bloody Chamber, Macbeth and Frankenstein. It's in Open Office but to open it just click open as and then word.
Reply 107
One of my friends schools has complained to aqa and they admitted harsh marking. All papers are being remarked without the risk of their original grade going down xx
I don't trust AQA to mark. We looked at some example papers from there website and there is a 37/40 mark answer and it didn't hit most of the AO's or discuss language.
Reply 109
Hey does anyone remember what the questions were for the LitB3 gothic for section B and section A wuthering heights, dr faustus and the bloody chamber?
Original post by emmabeth
Hey does anyone remember what the questions were for the LitB3 gothic for section B and section A wuthering heights, dr faustus and the bloody chamber?

For January 2013:

Section A
Doctor Faustus:
'"Pleasure and pain are inextricably linked in Doctor Faustus"
How far do you agree with this view of the play?'

Wuthering Heights:
'Consider the view that Wuthering Heights is, above all, an exploration of fear.'

The Bloody Chamber:
'"Although terrifying, many of the stories are also darkly comic."
Consider at least two of the stories from The Bloody Chamber in light of this comment.'

Section B:
'"In gothic writing, the presentation of places is often more interesting than the presentation of characters."
How far do you agree with this view?'

'To what extent do you agree with the view that gothic writing is "an exploration of what cannot be explained"?'

'Consider the significance of forms of entrapment in gothic literature.'
Reply 111
I know this is a thread from a few years back but I thought I'd just mention that this is STILL happening with AQA. I go to a grammar school and all year the majority of us, myself included, were achieving B-A in our practice essays and got those marks, or thereabouts, in the mocks. We all came out of the summer exam incredibly confident that we'd done well - we knew critical interpretations, we knew language analysis, we knew contextual links, and we knew how to write something that actually makes sense. Yet, when our marks came back, only one person (ONE) achieved an A, a few got a B, myself and a few others got Cs, and some people actually failed. We sent off for our scripts to be sent to us and, after looking through them, were left in a state of wtf? Around pretty much every point made were comments such as "tenuous link" (e.g. we likened the wish of the sailors in Tennyson's Lotus Eaters poem to the harsh reality of the Industrial Revolution), "NO" multiple times, "lacks elaboration" (after hugely detailed points on language or justifications for use of context (e.g. the issues of race in India which corresponded with the theme of race in The God of Small Things). They effectively disregarded every use of context as "irrelevant" or "loose", and we were left wondering what on earth context they expected us to use? This year I'm including things about the Patriarchal system around the time Wuthering Heights was written and I'm honestly doubting that they're going to accept that as "valid context".
We are all incredibly stressed about this, including our teachers. They have reached stage 3 of the appeal system yet things are unchanged. Remarks came back largely unchanged, yet a couple of people went up by over 20 marks??? And, yet, that still didn't highlight to AQA that there is something seriously wrong with their marking system.
The majority of us need A*s to get into our desired uni's, but at the current state that's unlikely. We're all (except the A student) resitting in summer, adding even more stress on top of trying to memorise 3 books for the exam.
It is absolutely atrocious what AQA has been putting people through for so many years, not only with the fact we've all had to fork out to pay for resits but the mental strain it's added to people who are already under considerable amounts of pressure.
We would have understood if we got a grade lower than expected, but our school is one of the best in the country and to receive the majority C-U was absolutely shocking.
I hope things got resolved for everybody in the above thread, nobody deserves this kind of unjustified pressure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending