The Student Room Group

If everyone supported their local team...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
It's usually the Asians that support the big teams, trust.

The amount of Asians , well that I know of anyway, that support local teams is so miniscule.
All of them support either Man U or Liverpool with a few Arsenal.

Definitely.

The vast majority of Asians support Liverpool or Man U.

Loads of black people support Arsenal as well.

This is in Birmingham btw :frown:
Original post by TRS-T
Definitely.

The vast majority of Asians support Liverpool or Man U.

Loads of black people support Arsenal as well.

This is in Birmingham btw :frown:

I know I'm from Birmingham too
Reply 42
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
I know I'm from Birmingham too

What area?

It's mainly the white Brummies who support Villa or Blues.

Funny thing is, both the Villa ground and the Blues ground are in Asian areas of Birmingham.
There are very, very few South-West teams in the Football League, so the likes of Torquay, which would include almost the entire of Cornwall's population (and a large chunk of Devon), can't be far off.
Original post by marcusmerehay
There are very, very few South-West teams in the Football League, so the likes of Torquay, which would include almost the entire of Cornwall's population (and a large chunk of Devon), can't be far off.

You've got Plymouth and Exeter nearby taking Cornwall and Devon though. And the area's not that densely populated.
Reply 45
Original post by TRS-T
What area?

Funny thing is, both the Villa ground and the Blues ground are in Asian areas of Birmingham.

It's a really odd sight near Villa Park (grandparents live there) - won't see any white people generally but when it gets to match day, 40,000 come out of nowhere. Look like a miserable bunch sometimes, remember them walking home after beating Chelsea a few years ago and all looked depresed so we thought they had been thrashed until we checked the score!
Original post by Loat
You've got Plymouth and Exeter nearby taking Cornwall and Devon though. And the area's not that densely populated.

Looking at the map I think Exeter is a great shout actually - the catchment area would extend up to Bridgewater before you get into Bristol territory, almost to Dorchester/Weymouth before Yeovil/Bournemouth territory, and pretty much all of North Devon/Cornwall.

Southampton is another decent shout as the nearest things you've got (other than Pompey/Bournemouth on the coast) are Reading, Swindon and Bristol.
Original post by TRS-T
What area?

Sutton. Yeah you're right. I'm actually genuinely trying to think of some of our lot that actually support a local team
Original post by tif49
Every team should support their local team anyway and the closest PL team they have.

How did this happen that people started supporting teams on the other side of the country? Glory seekers?

The number of Man U fans suggest it is all about glory.

I disagree. I'm from Brighton but I've been a Leeds United supporter my whole life, through the good times and the bad.
This is due to family connections on my mums side, she was born up there and my grandad's from there so I was taken to games when I visited as a kid e.t.c, and I've always made the effort ever since to see Leeds play everytime they are down south.
Does that make me a glory hunter?
I even chose to go to uni in Leeds so that I could go to more home games, meaning I do now live in Leeds during uni term times, making Leeds United my closest club for half of the year, but I'm not from here.
I do have a soft spot for Brighton & Hove Albion, after all they are my 'local, home side'. I've been to games and cheered them on and I always keep up to date with their scores. But I don't support them, I support Leeds.
It's the North-East...so it's either Newcastle or Sunderland

Depends which set of fans are more passionate about their football
Original post by MrSam
Bristol City wouldn't do badly. Even though Rovers are in the same city there are so few professional football clubs in the South West between them they'd have a huge 'catchment' area.

Exeter and Yeovil would take a large chunk out of that.
Original post by tif49
Everyone should support their local team anyway and the closest PL team they have.

How did this happen that people started supporting teams on the other side of the country? Glory seekers?

The number of Man U fans suggest it is all about glory.

Well they really shouldn't. You don't support two teams, and you sure as hell don't have your team, and a PL team.
Reply 52
Cardiff? Their closest team is Swansea and South Wales is pretty heavily populated.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by Dr-Greenthumb
I disagree. I'm from Brighton but I've been a Leeds United supporter my whole life, through the good times and the bad.
This is due to family connections on my mums side, she was born up there and my grandad's from there so I was taken to games when I visited as a kid e.t.c, and I've always made the effort ever since to see Leeds play everytime they are down south.
Does that make me a glory hunter?
I even chose to go to uni in Leeds so that I could go to more home games, meaning I do now live in Leeds during uni term times, making Leeds United my closest club for half of the year, but I'm not from here.
I do have a soft spot for Brighton & Hove Albion, after all they are my 'local, home side'. I've been to games and cheered them on and I always keep up to date with their scores. But I don't support them, I support Leeds.

That's fair enough.

You support Leeds United because you have a family connection to Leeds.

Most Manchester United fans do not have a family connection to Manchester.

That is what annoys people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by WelshBluebird
One of the London clubs obviously.

But how far do you take it?
Do you include tiny sunday league teams?
What about non league teams?

Should I support Ton Pentre AFC instead of Cardiff City FC?
Should someone living in Cardiff support Cardiff Draconians F.C instead of Cardiff City FC?

lol, exactly. As I've mentioned once or twice on here, people (Newcastle supporters, not from Newcastle but elsewhere in Tyneside or Northumberland) used to criticse me for not supporting my "local team" when, in fact, I did (village team) :p:

I don't think London teams will be much larger than Manchester United, as the Borough of Trafford is as large as many London Boroughs.

If just closest league team, then Newcastle (already has the third largest club stadium in England) will be there. Though people from the north of Northumberland will have Berwick, South Northumberland will be Newcastle and the conurbation of Tyneside, at almost a million, is one of the largest in the country and has only one football team. Although, having said that, parts of South Tyneside are at least as close to Sunderland.

Sunderland themselves might be in the top ten as the city has a larger population than Newcastle (using modern city boundaries) though Wearside is significantly smaller than Tyneside, but having Eastern Co. Durham and Durham will bump Sunderland it up. Though Durham is probably closer to Darlington than Sunderland.

Same with Leeds and, to a lesser extent, Bradford, Cardiff and Swansea, also part of large metropolitan areas. Though Rugby League is big there so that can take some fans away.

Bristol and Sheffield (around half a million each, only two teams in each) and certain London boroughs, plus Manchester City, Manchester United (as Trafford alone is still under 300,000), Liverpool and Everton.

But I do think Newcastle (Tyneside/South Northumberland), at a population of one million, will be in the top three certainly.
Original post by Clare~Bear
It'd probably be a team from a large, remote town/city. They'd have all the footy fans from that town/city plus from smaller, surrounding towns and villages. Maybe somewhere in wales/scotland then as they've got hardly any professional teams cos rugby is more popular than it is in England.
I dunno how far other teams are spread out in England but I know that Norwich City is about 45-50 miles from the nearest other professional football team :dontknow: So they'd have probably everyone from Norfolk plus quite a few from Suffolk.
PLUS OP, does this assume that eevryone that likes football supports said teams OR that the whole population of the town/city supports them?

But a large part of Norfolk is rural. It will still be well under the population of Tyneside alone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TRS-T
That's fair enough.

You support Leeds United because you have a family connection to Leeds.

Most Manchester United fans do not have a family connection to Manchester.

That is what annoys people.

Yeah, agreed.
The man united chant

Glory, glory Man Uniteeeddd

should be changed to

Glory Hunter Man Uniteeedddd
Original post by Alofleicester
Well they really shouldn't. You don't support two teams, and you sure as hell don't have your team, and a PL team.

Most people I know support two teams - usually their local team (or where they were born) and another team.
In the premier league? Norwich.

map of premier league clubs
It would be funny to see this plan implemented in Scotland, where the teams outside of Glasgow, would actually stand a chance of filling their stadiums.

Quick Reply

Latest