The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How common are dual CCTs? Are they just one of those things that are theoretically possible but essentially unheard of in reality?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by shiggydiggy
How common are dual CCTs? Are they just one of those things that are theoretically possible but essentially unheard of in reality?

Depends what you mean. In related specialties like ICM and anaesthesia, still quite common, though ICM are trying to break away, but I'm not convinced how viable that is going to be. Most physicians will dual CCT in General Medicine and a specialty. It is, however, much less common to see people with a dual CCT in two completely unrelated specialties, or if they do have both, they tend to only practice one.
Original post by Helenia
Depends what you mean. In related specialties like ICM and anaesthesia, still quite common, though ICM are trying to break away, but I'm not convinced how viable that is going to be. Most physicians will dual CCT in General Medicine and a specialty. It is, however, much less common to see people with a dual CCT in two completely unrelated specialties, or if they do have both, they tend to only practice one.

Yeah I was curious about the ACCS specialities in particular. That's interesting to know, thank you.
Original post by shiggydiggy
Yeah I was curious about the ACCS specialities in particular. That's interesting to know, thank you.

I've met people doing A&E + ICM as dual CCT before.

I know a few triple CCT consultants, all gen med + specialty (usually acute med, renal or resp) + ICM.
About to start my first ever night shift. I've brought doughnuts for the midwives, a can of Monster for me and I found a matching pair of theatre clogs that nearly fit.

Bring it.
This is the history of a patient and I have to identify likely causes for underling symptoms.

57 year old sales representative who is usually fit and well.
He drinks occasional alcohol and smokes 20 cigarettes a day, which he has done since the age of 16.
His symptoms
a burning sensation when passing urine
lower abdominal pain.
A week later left-sided back ache which became worse and started to move from his back to his groin.
short-lived episodes of ‘chills’ and uncontrollable shaking.
blood in his urinary stream on several occasions - painless.

symptoms:
The haematuria
The pattern of pain ( nature and site)
The cloudy urine
The ‘shakes’ or rigors that he had

I was thinking it might be a UTI, but I'm not particularly sure. Pain is his back indicated kidneys so perhaps a cancer that has spread down the UT?
Original post by AreebWithaHat
This is the history of a patient and I have to identify likely causes for underling symptoms.

He drinks occasional alcohol and smokes 20 cigarettes a day, which he has done since the age of 16.
His symptoms
lower abdominal pain.
A week later left-sided back ache which became worse and started to move from his back to his groin.

symptoms:
The haematuria
The cloudy urine

I was thinking it might be a UTI, but I'm not particularly sure. Pain is his back indicated kidneys so perhaps a cancer that has spread down the UT?

Easiest way of remembering causes of haematuria: TITS.
Trauma, infection, tumour, stones.

The pattern of pain sounds like renal colic.

When you have something urinary, think about the whole tract, and what can go wrong at each level and how it affects the bit above/below it.

His symptoms
lower abdominal pain.

symptoms:
The haematuria
The cloudy urine

Or a UTI that has ascended the ureters leading to pyelonephritis?

His symptoms
lower abdominal pain.

symptoms:
The haematuria
The cloudy urine

sounds like pyelonephritis.
unusual for a man with a normal urinary tract to get UTIs so you would think about his prostate gland.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Or a UTI that has ascended the ureters leading to pyelonephritis?

Didn't think of that thanks.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Easiest way of remembering causes of haematuria: TITS.
Trauma, infection, tumour, stones.

The pattern of pain sounds like renal colic.

When you have something urinary, think about the whole tract, and what can go wrong at each level and how it affects the bit above/below it.

cheers :smile:

reps on recharge
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by clarusblue
sounds like pyelonephritis.
unusual for a man with a normal urinary tract to get UTIs so you would think about his prostate gland.

so it's more common in women?

Wiping in the wrong direction (can't just shake it after a pee like guys can) can easily introduce bowel bugs to the urinary tract, and shorter urethra means they get into the bladder etc more easily.

Yes. Without sounding too grim, in women the urethra opens into an area that is much more likely to have bacteria present (from bowel) than in men. Also the urethra is shorter in women than in men, so an infection can ascend to the bladder more easily.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Wiping in the wrong direction (can't just shake it after a pee like guys can) can easily introduce bowel bugs to the urinary tract, and shorter urethra means they get into the bladder etc more easily.

Original post by clarusblue
Yes. Without sounding too grim, in women the urethra opens into an area that is much more likely to have bacteria present (from bowel) than in men. Also the urethra is shorter in women than in men, so an infection can ascend to the bladder more easily.

Ah that makes sense. I'm not too sure of the details of female urination tbh but that cleared things up.

His symptoms
lower abdominal pain.

symptoms:
The haematuria
The cloudy urine

Sounds like pyelonephritis, but you would want to investigate this to rule out anything unusual going on in the background given the fact that he's male. Probably ultrasound initially.

Any additional urinary/prostate PMHx? Did any of these episodes of painless haematuria occur before the other urinary symptoms set in?

Edit: Just read the last page and realised this reply was completely redundant!
(edited 10 years ago)
Ah that makes sense. I'm not too sure of the details of female urination tbh but that cleared things up.

Pretty sure it's the exact same as with the male urinary system with the exception of a bit of anatomy. Urethral meatus a bit above the vagina, and the urethra itself is shorter. Added factor of all 3 orifices being pretty close to each other, and they have to pay a bit more attention to urinary hygiene than we do.

The fact that I can pee standing up and just shake it off at the end is easily the best thing about being male.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Pretty sure it's the exact same as with the male urinary system with the exception of a bit of anatomy. Urethral meatus a bit above the vagina, and the urethra itself is shorter. Added factor of all 3 orifices being pretty close to each other, and they have to pay a bit more attention to urinary hygiene than we do.

The fact that I can pee standing up and just shake it off at the end is easily the best thing about being male.

Seriously? So not the fact that you don't have periods or have to go through labour? :p:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Seriously? So not the fact that you don't have periods or have to go through labour? :p:

Oh. It might be never giving birth...but that's a once-to-a-few in a lifetime event. I pee every day. I think peeing edges it out.
Is it true that in labour as the baby is coming out they have to cut the skin between the anus and the vaginal orifice to make a bigger hole?!

I'm only just starting second year so excuse my naivety :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending