The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Chemistry UCL

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
Did Dewi try and move your interview to the week earlier as well?? I'm going for Chemistry with a European Language (German). I'm not expecting an offer tbqh, my interview with the woman was shocking. Just couldnt think of the 3D structure of the molecule she drew. Not really helped by the fact I'd had to be up a 5am, and the first thing she said to me was 'You better not have a really thick northern accent, because I won't be able to understand you.'

No, he said I could come down to London to do the interview but it would have had to be in the next few days and it would just be a short interview than the whole interview day with other applicants, but since he gave me the choice, i chose by phone, and yeah I don't I'm expecting one either. He was so nice on the phone, but I got mixed up with the pH going up with down, and something to do with log, was she joking or being serious? I'm from the north aswell, so i'm glad I had it with Dewi instead haha
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by glitter_star12
No, he said I could come down to London to do the interview but it would have had to be in the next few days and it would just be a short interview than the whole interview day with other applicants, but since he gave me the choice, i chose by phone, and yeah I don't I'm expecting one either. He was so nice on the phone, but I got mixed up with the pH going up with down, and something to do with log, was she joking or being serious? I'm from the north aswell, so i'm glad I had it with Dewi instead haha

If I'd have known my phone interview would have been with Dewi, I'dve picked that!! I think she was being serious. Everyone who i've talked to about it is also generally not impressed. What i can't understand is the fact Dewi is welsh, one of the interviewers was chinese, another was dutch, the lecturer guy was from the US... Yet she makes a comment like that!
If I'd have known my phone interview would have been with Dewi, I'dve picked that!! I think she was being serious. Everyone who i've talked to about it is also generally not impressed. What i can't understand is the fact Dewi is welsh, one of the interviewers was chinese, another was dutch, the lecturer guy was from the US... Yet she makes a comment like that!

Haha, yeah I did feel quite laid back, but it was really strange to have such an important moment while I was at home on the phone, and is he welsh? He seemed to have a london accent I thought, but then that is pretty rude of her! especially as you would have been quite nervous and everything!
Haha, yeah I did feel quite laid back, but it was really strange to have such an important moment while I was at home on the phone, and is he welsh? He seemed to have a london accent I thought, but then that is pretty rude of her! especially as you would have been quite nervous and everything!

Well he mentioned on the open day 'I grew up halfway up a mountain in wales, so don't panic if you haven't been able to get work experience for Chemistry. At the interview day he was lovely. He walked past us as I'm trying to explain where I live 'Do you know where lincoln is... <blank faces> Hull?? <still looking blank>
Dewi: Love, theres no point, you might as well tell them end of the northern line and keep going.
Well he mentioned on the open day 'I grew up halfway up a mountain in wales, so don't panic if you haven't been able to get work experience for Chemistry. At the interview day he was lovely. He walked past us as I'm trying to explain where I live 'Do you know where lincoln is... <blank faces> Hull?? <still looking blank>
Dewi: Love, theres no point, you might as well tell them end of the northern line and keep going.

hahaha, aww yeah he seemed so nice! he started bitching about dentists to me on the phone haha, and you must live pretty close to me, as I live pretty close to both lincoln and hull :smile:
I got an offer!!!!!!! :biggrin:
SO Have I!! Came through at 12.45. Just opened it. Squealed perhaps a bit too much.
AAB, B in german XDD
SO Have I!! Came through at 12.45. Just opened it. Squealed perhaps a bit too much.
AAB, B in german XDD

Aw mines AAA, but it only says including Chemistry, i do four subjects aswell, but i'm guessing it'll still have to include spanish. I was in Spanish when i opened it haha, it took me a while to cam down :smile: Will you firm UCL?
Reply 28
Congrats you two!!

I just looked at UCAS and got an offer as well!!
Aw mines AAA, but it only says including Chemistry, i do four subjects aswell, but i'm guessing it'll still have to include spanish. I was in Spanish when i opened it haha, it took me a while to cam down :smile: Will you firm UCL?

Nope. Not after what my interviewer said to me when she first met me, and the fact she couldnt have looked MORE bored in my interview. I've firmed Sheffield instead.
Reply 30
I got an offer!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Congrats! And congrats to everyone who has got an offer, I got my come through on my UCAS yesterday! So excited!! See you all in September :P
Reply 31
Yeah that's that I though :/
I couldn't go to my interview, so they said it was fine to do it by phone because my interview date was the last one I think haha and it was around the 8th march I think? and i'd be doing spanish :smile:
Are you doing pure chemistry or with a language/year abroad etc?

I've applied for straight chemistry but I'm thinking more and more that I'd like to do Chemistry with French. Do you think I should contact them about this now or should I leave it until I'm there?
Reply 32
Nope. Not after what my interviewer said to me when she first met me, and the fact she couldnt have looked MORE bored in my interview. I've firmed Sheffield instead.

Hi,

Do you mind PMing me the name of your interviewer? This is absolutely shocking... Would you have gone to UCL otherwise?

Congratulations to everyone else on their offers.
Original post by Couldxbe
Hi,

Do you mind PMing me the name of your interviewer? This is absolutely shocking... Would you have gone to UCL otherwise?

Congratulations to everyone else on their offers.

I would have been VERY tempted to firm, had it not happened. The thing is, had I been polish, asian, pakistani, she would NOT have dared. But because I was afaik, the only northerner in the room...
Reply 34
Did Dewi try and move your interview to the week earlier as well?? I'm going for Chemistry with a European Language (German). I'm not expecting an offer tbqh, my interview with the woman was shocking. Just couldnt think of the 3D structure of the molecule she drew. Not really helped by the fact I'd had to be up a 5am, and the first thing she said to me was 'You better not have a really thick northern accent, because I won't be able to understand you.'

:-O I would complain- even though it's their loss anyway! How rude! Should have come to Newcastle :biggrin:
Original post by JeremyB
I've applied for straight chemistry but I'm thinking more and more that I'd like to do Chemistry with French. Do you think I should contact them about this now or should I leave it until I'm there?

I'd say if you were doing just Chemistry with something else e.g. study abroad then you could wait until next year, but since you may need a specific a level/as level grade in french i would definitely tell them now and see what they say :smile:
Reply 36
I'd say if you were doing just Chemistry with something else e.g. study abroad then you could wait until next year, but since you may need a specific a level/as level grade in french i would definitely tell them now and see what they say :smile:

Well I'm doing A-level French, so I think I'll just leave it till I'm there. Btw, have you replied to your offers yet? :smile: I keep putting it off in case I change my mind.
Original post by JeremyB
Well I'm doing A-level French, so I think I'll just leave it till I'm there. Btw, have you replied to your offers yet? :smile: I keep putting it off in case I change my mind.

Yeah i've firmed UCL and put newcastle as my insurance, but then I've also applied in Ireland which is a separate system, and I'm not sure if UCL the one in Ireland is my favourite yet :/ Where do you think you'll firm/insure?
Reply 38
Yeah i've firmed UCL and put newcastle as my insurance, but then I've also applied in Ireland which is a separate system, and I'm not sure if UCL the one in Ireland is my favourite yet :/ Where do you think you'll firm/insure?

I was thinking about firming UCL and then having Bristol as insurance. But then again Bristol are quite strict about getting an A in maths, so I might be better off putting down York as insurance.

Another thing I've been thinking about is when do we have to apply for accommodation?
Reply 39
Hey,

Im a first year chemical engineer looking to switch to chemistry for the next academic year. Im being considered as an applicant, and my entry depends on passing all modules, so I was not interviewed. However in your case it is way too early to start worrying about not having heard a reply. Id start worrying in may. Moreover the length of time taken by the ucl is not at all indicative of what their decision will be

On a side note Which A levels are you applying with and what are you predicted? Also do chemistry applicants usually get interviewed at UCL?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending