The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Ach, books are shi-ite. I just finished Crusoe's Secret. Dense stuff. He made some mistakes so I sent him a letter about it. In his reply he admitted he was wrong but was really sarky about it -- 'I wish I had your detailed knowledge' etc. Also reading In Defence of T.S. Eliot, The Rainbow, the latest Oxford Poetry & LRB and rereading Herzog.
Reply 61
Well I should be reading Sons and Lovers, but I'm only on chapter three and we've already had a seminar on it so I probably won't bother. And then I have some James Joyce to look forward to...can't wait :biggrin:
Reply 62
Spenser's The Faerie Queene, Shakespeare's sonnets and the poetry of Jonson - all for my English essay - as well as the plays of Aristophanes for my Classics essay.
Not reading anything 'for fun' at the moment, can't believe it!!
Reply 63
supercat
I love Ibsen :biggrin: I would love to see A Doll's House

I've seen it, it's fabulous!!
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood

Bit meh so far.

And Catch 22 for school.
Reply 65
Affectation
*loves 'The Child In Time'*

*loves McEwan in general*

:p:

I could never get into that one - I think I read the first chapter a couple of years ago and then gave up :frown:

I've read Atonement, Enduring Love, The Cement Garden, Black Dogs, Amsterdam & both sets of short stories. Enduring Love is my favourite (Atonement second).
I hate McEwan...the man is like a sixth-form poet that never grew up.
Reply 67
Thank you! Everyone seems to adore him. I don't get it!
EnglishDude
Has anybody read any of Paulo Coelho's work; it's amazing. The Alchemist is one of his finest as it reflects upon the journey of life and whether it is dictated from above. Also, Veronika Decides to Die is a good novel, despite the bleak title as it is essentially an example of the carpe dieum mentality as someone is told they have little time to live, but there is a good twist....

Yes! Finally somebody who has read Coelho...
I loved The Alchemist and can't wait to read more of his stuff. Very awe-inspiring writing- definitely has the ability to touch personally without being direct.
Reply 69
steerpike

I've finished re-reading 'notes from the underground' - I love how he's obsessed with explaining his madness, which makes him seem quite sane, even though he's supposed to be mad.

(

Isn't it a GREAT book? I love it, it's definitely one of my favourites! Quite disturbing though...am re-reading it now too.
Besides that I'm reading The Handmaid's Tale (for school) and Alias Grace (for fun) by Margaret Atwood, both of which I really like, a couple of German plays for school and re-reading the Hitchhiker's Guide (I need something to make me laugh! :biggrin:)
Looking for another book now - any recommendations?
Reply 70
I'm reading....

All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
Regeneration by Pat Barker
The Ghost Road by Pat Barker
Sacred Hunger by Barry Unsworth
Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd
Edward II - Kit Marlow
Songs of Innocence and Experience - William Blake
The Spire - William Golding

phew....
Reply 71
lol - are you doing the WWI synoptic unit for English A Level perchance?
Reply 72
We did a mock paper of that last week. I get the result tomorrow (but the other class already have their results), and I know that overall there were 12 Us. And only 2 As. And my boyfriend got one of them. Eeeek.
Reply 73
12 Us? Holy crap.
Reply 74
Yeah, I know. Teachers aren't too happy.
Reply 75
supercat
Thank you! Everyone seems to adore him. I don't get it!

:ditto: !!! I hated Enduring Love, and I've never bothered to try any others.
Reply 76
Mm, I read Atonement. I mean it was okay, but just nothing special. I swear he's not as good as people make him out to be. I was just very disappointed.
Why did you hate it?
Reply 78
I'm not entirely sure - it was a gut reaction to the book as a whole, rather than pin pointing one particular thing. I found it very dull though, and it took me donkey's years to read it, whereas with most books I'm fairly quick. His characters too irritated me, as far as I can remember.
Reply 79
Angelil
Spenser's The Faerie Queene, Shakespeare's sonnets and the poetry of Jonson - all for my English essay - as well as the plays of Aristophanes for my Classics essay.
Not reading anything 'for fun' at the moment, can't believe it!!

i think i might be rereading birds for an essay in the next few days.

sometimes there's so much to do, it's hard knowing where to start. and when you've read a fair amount, it's hard to know when to stop reading and just get on with the bloody essay.

Latest

Trending

Trending