The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Current AS texts: Dracula and Selection of Keats' poetry.
Fun: To the Lighthouse (again), Essays on Virginia Woolf and King Lear too.
Reply 81
silence
i think i might be rereading birds for an essay in the next few days.

sometimes there's so much to do, it's hard knowing where to start. and when you've read a fair amount, it's hard to know when to stop reading and just get on with the bloody essay.

lol true!
My English essay is done now, so my Classics essay awaits me: "What is metatheatre? How is it significant to the development of Old Comedy?"
What delights do you have to look forward to?
Reply 82
Angelil
lol - are you doing the WWI synoptic unit for English A Level perchance?

ding ding ding
correct answer
Reply 83
hehe! yay! what do I win?!
Reply 84
Haha, I got the other A. Thank God.

Anyway, who wants to recommend me something to read? I'm feeling very open to suggestions at the moment, so please give me some ideas.
Reply 85
Angelil
lol true!
My English essay is done now, so my Classics essay awaits me: "What is metatheatre? How is it significant to the development of Old Comedy?"
What delights do you have to look forward to?

sounds nice! mine's one i created myself: "the signifiance of realism, morality and fantasy for the city audience in renaissance drama". i'm going to look at allusion/imagery etc and just thought that it might be worth mentioning birds as an example of how you can have something where the audience (i.e. city folk) are the antithesis (to birds) yet the very substance of the imagery. metatheatre's an odd one; wasn't there a fair bit of improvisation in classical drama?
Reply 86
Don't really know much about the impro bit tbh! Metatheatre is interesting though, it influenced Brecht later on :smile:
oh and supercat - well done!!!
rich_
Current AS texts: Dracula and Selection of Keats' poetry.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
What spec is that! I bloody well wanna do it!
You lucky child...
Reply 88
Angelil

oh and supercat - well done!!!

Haha thank you, I have so much work to do now though, I'm convinced it was just a fluke. Certainly kicked my bum into gear!

Affectation, I agree, those texts look amazing! Although I don't think anything can beat Possession by A.S. Byatt. I grew to love it. AS is even in the author's initials! It's meant to be!
Haha surely a sign...

We're doing Larkin's poetry- this guy is just something else. I mean, you gotta give it to him, bald, grouchy and old with over 5 women on the go!
Just proves that the powers of the mind is surely the most sexiest quality in a man...(and perhaps women- guys feel free to comment!) :wink:
Reply 90
Oh we did Larkin last year, High Windows. Isn't he fun :p:
Reply 91
Affectation
:eek: :eek: :eek:
What spec is that! I bloody well wanna do it!
You lucky child...

OCR. Dracula is the Prose section of the 'Poetry and Prose' exam and the Keats is our Coursework. The texts we did last term were T.S.Eliot which forms the other half of the Dracula paper, and also Antony and Cleopatra which is another paper entirely. Yes, it's a good selection. I very much enjoyed the T.S.Eliot and to an extent the Keats. To begin with I liked the Dracula- but studying it since December is so boring. We've drilled it into the ground now. When we were first given it I did a lot of reading on it and working by myself which is how I've managed to get the marks I have in the course- but seriously- spending a whole term on one novel!!! :eek: I'm sure at Uni you'd cover it in one week along with a whole load of other Gothic texts!!
Dracula annoyed me. The ending just felt like he couldn't be bothered... Seriously, you make us read 100 pages of them searching for boxes of Earth and then you describe the actual going-to-kill Dracula in a page? Goddam you Stoker, goddam you! (Not that I'm into the blood and gore at all, oh no...)
Reply 93
Angelil
hehe! yay! what do I win?!

a slap on the bum
Reply 94
ooh! kinky!
Reply 95
Oo-er.
Ew.
I'm supposed to have read Dubliners for my extra english lesson tomorrow...haven't started it yet- suppose it'll prepare me for all the reading I'm gonna be doing next year!
Reply 98
It's a wonderful book.
Don't try and think/rationalise too much while you're reading though, just give yourself to its intensity and think later.
Reply 99
Stephen King - Cell

Latest

Trending

Trending