The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by bssjonny
i predict that the grade boundaries will be pretty much the same

Yeah, I guess it will be around the same as the last papers, so you can lose around 20 marks and still get an A*, which is stupid, but awesome at the same time.
Reply 381
Quick question guys...
What did people do for the question with the capacitor and the 400hz??? :s-smilie:
Original post by Hasi.ali
Quick question guys...
What did people do for the question with the capacitor and the 400hz??? :s-smilie:

find time constant and compare with 1/400...time constant wld b smaller so it discharges completely before flicking back to X from Y
Reply 383
Original post by hotheadhacker
find time constant and compare with 1/400...time constant wld b smaller so it discharges completely before flicking back to X from Y

Do u not have to use the 5RC rule for charge and discharge?
Original post by xA-A-Ax
I thought it was inelastic...so I think I put an option about KE NOT being conserved?

You're right, an inelastic collision is one where kinetic energy is not conserved and an elastic collision is one where kinetic energy is conserved.
Reply 385
Has anyone got the paper and unofficial mark scheme? Thanks :smile:
Original post by hoobaha
What did people out for the 2 reasons he can't just replace Ee with Bev? I put
- the force from a magnetic field acts perpendicular so won't affect vertical velocity
- the magnetic field will affect horizontal not vertical velocity, the mass will affect vertical velocity

I understand I was rambling and repeating myself a bit but I just didn't know what else to put!

i think u had to write tht . since F=EQ ,k so he replaced it by F=beq . not sure . but he did tht. stupid guy -.-
paper wasnt tht hard. hve still nightmare of jan 2012 paper =p this was easier. though few tough question
Original post by theandyguthrie
well if positive particles are repelled when inside it's field - the field must be directed away from the sun. Therefore positive.
I wasn't 100% on how to phrase it nicely.

I put something about there being electrostatic repulsion between the particles in the Sun and the positively charged particles going away from the Sun, hence proving the Sun is positively charged... Would that be right?
Reply 389
On the last MCQ, there was a question on which equation would be possible if a pion decayed or something, i remember getting A because the charge conservation. But D had charge conserved but also had a pion on the other side of the equation.. ? anyone know what the correct answer was?
Edit: i have found out the answer and its D probably because of lepton number!! noo i was soo close to doing thatt
(edited 11 years ago)
This is all I remember:

I went.
I sat the paper.
Came out thinking which way my home was located.

The paper wasn't terrible but not easy either. Its somewhere in the middle. But yet i have this funny feeling that it was actually hard. :s-smilie:
Reply 391
Original post by Hasi.ali
Quick question guys...

I'm not sure I got that right - I worked out the time constant, then said that it takes about 5 Time constant's to charge, and 5 to discharge, so worked out the time for 10 Time constants as the time taken to charge and discharge, then divided that by 1 to get the frequency, and ended up with a value of 454 Hz
Reply 392
What is the role of electric fields in a bubble chamber? I only thought magnetic fields are used in a bubble chamber :s-smilie: Although i did say they are used to slow the particles down before they enter the chamber ...
Reply 393
No where in the book does it explain how electric fields are used in the bubble chamber..
Reply 394
Original post by Alexok
No where in the book does it explain how electric fields are used in the bubble chamber..

I know, Edexcel exams really piss me off like that, because they ask a lot of questions which you just can't prepare for. I had no idea (and still don't) of what an electric field is used for in a particle detector, so I pretty much made something up and hoped it would stick, and tried to get as many key words in there as I could in the hope of finding marks - I said it was used to speed the particles up so they would experience relativistic time dilation, and that it also helped cause ionisation and cause the particle tracks to show up clearly. I still think what I wrote was BS.
Original post by Alexok

are electric fields used in the bubble chamber?

I presented this topic to my class and as i recall there aren't any electric fields. They use electric fields in spark and drift chambers - which is what i wrote.
Reply 396
Anyone remember what the total amount of marks were for each question (especially 15, 16, 17 and 18)?
Reply 397
Original post by FDR
I know, Edexcel exams really piss me off like that, because they ask a lot of questions which you just can't prepare for. I had no idea (and still don't) of what an electric field is used for in a particle detector, so I pretty much made something up and hoped it would stick, and tried to get as many key words in there as I could in the hope of finding marks - I said it was used to speed the particles up so they would experience relativistic time dilation, and that it also helped cause ionisation and cause the particle tracks to show up clearly. I still think what I wrote was BS.

and nobody writes a complain letter...
Reply 398
Original post by Yorrap
and nobody writes a complain letter...

I think we should complain
This paper was a little difficult but not as bad as the January exam. I definitely at least got a grade this time lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending