The Student Room Group

6 As level. Too much?

Is 6 As level too much?
I am a A*to A to B student doing my last year of GCSE.
I will attain 14 GCSE's, Chinese language being one of them.
For my main A levels I have decided maths, physics and economics up to A2. I might just possibly do critical thinking and A level Chinese. So the last and 'normal' A level slot, will be... errm I am not so sure about. Any subjects to help to get into Uni? Any subjects that Uni prefers?
My career in mind- business. but open to options.

my current knowledge on A levels: spend about 5 hours a week on one subject.

Open for Q&A! thanks for reading! enlighten me!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
In my opinion it isn't neccesary, it would be better to have 3/4 great a levels than 6 average. That's the risk since there is such a huge step up from GCSE to A-Level.
You don't really need 6, but if you feel like you can cope with it then I guess it's up to you!
Reply 3
In terms of university, there is no real advantage in doing more than 4. You are only increasing the risk that they make you a 4/5/6-grade offer like AAAA instead of the normal A*AA or AAA. As has been said, you can really do your best if you have less subjects to focus on. But it's up to you and your preferences if you are willing to put that much more time in! You should also be able to drop one or two if you start your AS-level year and think it's too much.
Doable, but totally unnecessary.
too much stress top uni's wont credit you for doing extra in the same way if requirements are a strict BBB. candidate a gets BBB candidate b get A*A*C.. those A* stars will send you to clearing unfortunately, do 3 i know people approaching final exams in summer with 10 exams due to resits, hopefully you'll do well and stay focused for the whole 2 years but if you mess up or get hard exams which is possible you could on average have 20 exams if people i know is anything to go by. its obviously up to you but most people do four then drop an as for A2 you will need the free periods etc for proper revision A2 and even AS is way ahead of GCSE
Reply 6
Why would you do it to yourself? :colonhash:
Reply 7
Tbh, yes. And unnecessary.
Reply 8
Thanks for the feed back!!
Reply 9
Not really necessary, other than Unis it will put pressure on your timetable and your time, you would have less free time during the college hours to maybe focus on your other subject - doing homework, revision etc. Not forgetting the pressure you'll possibly get during exam period, and if you have to retake any, it'll be worse.

I'd say 4 A-levels at most, 3 if you cannot handle it.
6 is too many but you are not really doing 6

4 standard A levels

Critical Thinking ... like general studies this does not require the work load of a standard A level

Then Chinese ... I assume this is one of your spoken languages so is also not going to require the same work load ... if this is not the case the I would say count this as one of your normal 4

Quick Reply

Latest