The Student Room Group

Worried about optometry

I would like to do Optometry at City University of London and my gcses are Bio:9 Physics:9 Chem:8 Maths:8 RE:7 English Lit:7 English Language:6 Business:6 Geography :6 Computer Science:6 and Curther Maths:6 . I’m not sure if City looks at GCSEs but I hope they’re good enough. I’m also doing alevel bio chem and maths
Original post by fishyr
I would like to do Optometry at City University of London and my gcses are Bio:9 Physics:9 Chem:8 Maths:8 RE:7 English Lit:7 English Language:6 Business:6 Geography :6 Computer Science:6 and Curther Maths:6 . I’m not sure if City looks at GCSEs but I hope they’re good enough. I’m also doing alevel bio chem and maths

City does look at GCSE grades. They require that you have "A minimum of five passes grade 4 (C) in GCSE, including English and Mathematics in addition to other stated requirements." You clearly do. :smile:

You say you're "Worried about optometry"; what is you're worried about? You grades are absolutely fine, as are your A level subject choices. And if your GCSE grades are anything to go by, you should get decent grades at A level.

Also note that although City ask for AAB at A level for Optometry (MOptom), The Uni Guide (here) reports that according to data from HESA, the Higher Education Statistics Agency (April 2022), the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "Biology B | Chemistry B | Mathematics B". So you are studying the most popular subjects taken by existing students, and the grades of existing students are clearly a little below the stated requirements.

Does that put your mind at rest at all?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
City does look at GCSE grades. They require that you have "A minimum of five passes grade 4 (C) in GCSE, including English and Mathematics in addition to other stated requirements." You clearly do. :smile:

You say you're "Worried about optometry"; what is you're worried about? You grades are absolutely fine, as are your A level subject choices. And if your GCSE grades are anything to go by, you should get decent grades at A level.

Also note that although City ask for AAB at A level for Optometry (MOptom), The Uni Guide (here) reports that according to data from HESA, the Higher Education Statistics Agency (April 2022), the "Most popular A-Levels studied (and grade achieved)" are "Biology B | Chemistry B | Mathematics B". So you are studying the most popular subjects taken by existing students, and the grades of existing students are clearly a little below the stated requirements.

Does that put your mind at rest at all?
Thank you so much you’ve really put my mind to rest. I’ve just been stressed out lately and my minds been too overactive
Original post by fishyr
Thank you so much you’ve really put my mind to rest. I’ve just been stressed out lately and my minds been too overactive

You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest