The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What's it like living in Manchester?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by victoryshinesonus
Are there many Southerners at UoM, like from London/Home Counties? Many rich kids? Also, why is student satisfaction so low?! :l

London / Home Counties = Frickin loads of them. Seriously, I swear every other person you meet is from bloody London. Then there are more normal proportions of people from the rest of England and Wales. You never get Scots though - presumably because funding across the border is more preferable.

Rich kids? You get some here and there. Very few of them are ever audacious about it - whilst you might be able to work out that they went to a particularly expensive public school, it's not the sort of thing that people tend to talk about that much (and I did come across one person who was actively trying to keep it on the down-low that he had been to a very well-known boarding school!). Anyway, my point is that you're not going to suddenly find yourself surrounded by people talking about polo ponies, and 77.2% (2008 figures) are from state schools, and most people are pretty normal!

And as for student satisfaction - I'm yet to work this out myself, although I do have >2 years left here, and I suspect that some departments are dragging others down disproportionately.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by Origami Bullets
London / Home Counties = Frickin loads of them. Seriously, I swear every other person you meet is from bloody London. Then there are more normal proportions of people from the rest of England and Wales. You never get Scots though - presumably because funding across the border is more preferable.

Rich kids? You get some here and there. Very few of them are ever audacious about it - whilst you might be able to work out that they went to a particularly expensive public school, it's not the sort of thing that people tend to talk about that much (and I did come across one person who was actively trying to keep it on the down-low that he had been to a very well-known boarding school!). Anyway, my point is that you're not going to suddenly find yourself surrounded by people talking about polo ponies, and 77.2% (2008 figures) are from state schools, and most people are pretty normal!

And as for student satisfaction - I'm yet to work this out myself, although I do have >2 years left here, and I suspect that some departments are dragging others down disproportionately.

Do you know anyone on History courses? Could you get me some feedback? It's the one thing stopping me from firming at the moment!
That's one of the things I've noticed about uni, most of the 'rich kids' hide it. One of my good friends now who I met during Freshers lives in OP tower, smokes a ton of weed and dresses like a hobo, as I got to know him, turns out he has a double barrel surname and went to Rugby School, most of the rich kids like to pretend they're from 'da ghetto'.
Original post by tillytots
That's one of the things I've noticed about uni, most of the 'rich kids' hide it. One of my good friends now who I met during Freshers lives in OP tower, smokes a ton of weed and dresses like a hobo, as I got to know him, turns out he has a double barrel surname and went to Rugby School, most of the rich kids like to pretend they're from 'da ghetto'.

Hmm, I wouldn't say double-barrelled surnames are exclusive to the upper-middle class, triple-barrelled surnames certainly are :tongue: Yeah, I go to a Sixth Form at the moment and there are a few about, fitting the description you've given. God, I can't stand them, I wish they were 'normal'. To be honest, as long as they integrate with the majority (being state kids), I don't personally have a problem. It's when they are socially exclusive to their own type, that's what really effs me off lol. Glad to hear Mancs does not have too many
Do you know anyone on History courses? Could you get me some feedback? It's the one thing stopping me from firming at the moment!

I can't really think of anyone offhand unfortunately :frown:

I do Politics, but it's not really much help to you - it's not even in the same school as History. I'm thinking that there might be a relevant facebook group though, and you could inbox people from there.

I do Politics, but it's not really much help to you - it's not even in the same school as History. I'm thinking that there might be a relevant facebook group though, and you could inbox people from there.

:frown: I've tried searching for one, but nothing :/
:frown: I've tried searching for one, but nothing :/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/242028255164/
Reply 67
To the OP Manchester is a good if not the best place for students. There is just about everything here for you lot. Good shops, bars, pubs, clubs, restaurants, kebab shops etc. Just make sure you live in a 'student area'. I would recommend Fallow as it is about 99% students here so you will feel right at home. One request though - please don't act like a prick.

Original post by sarah1345
yeah im from london but i bet that guys from some little village :tongue:

Talking about me? :wink:

Original post by tillytots

You got that right lol Seen loads of them here they look like absolute knobs (and act like it too).

Are there many Southerners at UoM, like from London/Home Counties? Many rich kids? Also, why is student satisfaction so low?! :l

Loads of them mate. Think about 90% of them are if I had to guess.
(edited 12 years ago)
If you're going to be a UoM student, I definitely recommend Whitworth Park for accomodation. The student feeling is great with everyone so close together, it is 5 minutes from most lectures, right next to Maccie's, Subway, Gemini's, etc, and has a gym, student bar and squash courts. It is also the cheapest iirc
Reply 69
Nah, she's completely harmless. All she wants to do is hand you one of her leaflets - I've never heard of her doing anything other than that, snoozing at bus stops and moving multiple oversized suitcases around!

I think secretly a lot of Manchester students have a bit of a soft spot for the Crazy Bus Lady - I've heard of a few different people who've taken her home and let her sleep on their sofa!

But you woulnd't know that having just arrived to the city :P

really? I heard mancunians were friendly, but that friendly? fair play on them lol
Original post by goussberry
But you woulnd't know that having just arrived to the city :P

really? I heard mancunians were friendly, but that friendly? fair play on them lol

Well, it's always been drunk students who have done it (at least that I've heard about. Tbh you'll get to know very few mancunians - Paz from kebab king, your cleaner in halls, and maybe anyone you work with (although when I temped it was almost exclusively students and migrant workers!); most people spend three years in a student bubble.
Reply 71
Well, it's always been drunk students who have done it (at least that I've heard about. Tbh you'll get to know very few mancunians - Paz from kebab king, your cleaner in halls, and maybe anyone you work with (although when I temped it was almost exclusively students and migrant workers!); most people spend three years in a student bubble.

Oh I see... well that's likely to be the case isn't it.. But idk they do seem to have the rep
Reply 72
Nah, she's completely harmless. All she wants to do is hand you one of her leaflets - I've never heard of her doing anything other than that, snoozing at bus stops and moving multiple oversized suitcases around!

I think secretly a lot of Manchester students have a bit of a soft spot for the Crazy Bus Lady - I've heard of a few different people who've taken her home and let her sleep on their sofa!

Yeah I havent heard anyone speak badly of her, and I find it sweet when the bus drivers wave at her and she smiles back :redface:
Reply 73
Original post by hasan4life

i hear so much bout the crazy lady, i need to meet her :tongue:

:eek2: you've never seen her? I see her once or a twice each month. The Mancunion needs to do an interview with her.
Reply 74

Politics eh? did a couple of modules in politics, enjoyed two of them, the other was ruined by a guy called Stuart Shields. Absolute idiot, has put me off doing a module in IPE next year because he's the lecturer.
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
If you're going to be a UoM student, I definitely recommend Whitworth Park for accomodation. The student feeling is great with everyone so close together, it is 5 minutes from most lectures, right next to Maccie's, Subway, Gemini's, etc, and has a gym, student bar and squash courts. It is also the cheapest iirc

Is it not full of internationals? Also, why would you say Whitworth Park, other than the proximity to City Centre/Uni?
Is it not full of internationals? Also, why would you say Whitworth Park, other than the proximity to City Centre/Uni?

I wouldn't say so, there's a good mix here. Whitworth Park is probably about a 20-30 minute walk from the City Centre or 5-10 minutes on one of the countless buses. In fact, pretty much everything you could need is within walking distance other than Picadilly Train Station which is around 20 minutes by bus and walking.
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
I wouldn't say so, there's a good mix here. Whitworth Park is probably about a 20-30 minute walk from the City Centre or 5-10 minutes on one of the countless buses. In fact, pretty much everything you could need is within walking distance other than Picadilly Train Station which is around 20 minutes by bus and walking.

So you would not recommend Oak House for first year? If I put both Oak House and Whitworth Park for accommodation, which one am I likely to get given? Because you don't rank preferences do you? You just pick 3 you'd be happy to live in?
Reply 78
Manchester is really ok. Put it this way it is 100% better than it was in the late 90's when I was a student and this is one reason I did not go to Manchester at the time. Back then the City was tumbleweeds at night because there was not the posh apartments and redevelopment then, and inner city localities like Moss Side and Hulme were more scary.
So you would not recommend Oak House for first year? If I put both Oak House and Whitworth Park for accommodation, which one am I likely to get given? Because you don't rank preferences do you? You just pick 3 you'd be happy to live in?

Can't remember but I think I picked 2 en-suite rooms elsewhere and a single in WP as the other one and put room type as preference. Can't tell you anything about Oak House sorry, never met anyone from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending