The Student Room Group

23 year old guy considering nursing

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Mr Student
Baiscally I'm 23 and have been working for two years and I am considering a career in nursing but I have no idea if I'd like it beyond thinking that it looks very rewarding. I've emailed a couple of hopsitals about doing some work experience but they haven't got back to me. Is there any way I can assess if I'm suited to the profession. I previously did a degree but it was academic rather than vocational.

You'll have to live with the stereotype that most male nurses are gay.
Reply 21
Original post by JackieL
You'll have to live with the stereotype that most male nurses are gay.

And how exactly is that helpful?

Ignoring petty ideas like that I think that if it's something you're truly passionate about then you should do it. I'm starting my adult nursing course in september after taking a health and social care course after my a levels. As others have said workexperience is important. I was an SJA cadet for years so that helped me and I would thoroughly recommend working with them. They tend to be a friendly bunch and will help you improve your skills greatly. I've also had work in hospitals, have you tried volunteering for things such as catering assistants? Whilst it's not nursing or nursing roles as it were a friend of mine spent the year doing it and said she spent more time helping patients during that year than when she was shadowing a nurse for some time. Depending on the branch you want to enter will depend on other types of work experience as well, if you're thinking of children's maybe have a look at volunteering with a local youth group or cubs/scouts.
Reply 22
Original post by Mr Student
May I ask what setting you work in and what your job involves?

I'll pm you a more detailed response, but I'm a theatre nurse doing scrub and recovery.

Yes as one poster pointed out there is the whole "oh, you're a male nurse, are you gay?" stuff, tbh I couldn't give two ****s if someone thinks I'm gay or not, the mrs knows differently. If it's something you really want to do, and to get through the course you have to really want to do it, then what some random person thinks about your sexual orientation has no bearing on how you do your job. I've been called a lot worse things by confused patients than people assuming I'm gay because of my career choice.

Quick Reply

Latest