The Student Room Group

Feel like such a failure...

Hi, I applied to university through UCAS in December and had most of my hopes pinned on an offer from Glasgow for English lit...unfortunately I did not receive that offer and got offers from every other university instead. A lot of my friends from school are going to Glasgow and I feel like the odd one out even though my grades are not particularly bad and would have met the requirements, especially after this year.

I don't know what to do, if I should go to college or accept the other offers? Right now I just feel so depressed over not receiving an offer and I really feel like my future could not go anywhere, and I don't think I'll get admission to the JET programme when I leave university.

I had really tried and hoped I'd be succesful with Glasgow and it feels like such a blow to my confidence and my person in general that I didn't get an receive an offer, and when I read the threads on here about people gaining acceptance to Glasgow with unconditionals etc I have to wonder what was so bad about my application that I couldn't even be offered a conditional? I'm just in a very dark place right now.

Could anyone advise me if these unis I've gained acceptance to are worth it?

Strathclyde - my ideal university of the bunch, as it's close by.
Dundee - I'd have to move, but it seems respectable.
Aberdeen - I don't think Aberdeen is very good, and again, I'd have to move.
Stirling - The same as Aberdeen.

Is it worth it at all? Would I be better going to college for a year or will that push me further from Glasgow? If anyone could help me that'd be fantastic.
Reply 1
Awww, thanks for replying with such sensitivity - that cheered me up a lot!

It's not that the other universities are bad, it's that everyone else I know is going to Glasgow and Glasgow seems so fantastic in comparison to Strathclyde. I've checked on the comparison websites and Strathclyde is 4th for English after Glasgow...but I just don't know?

I don't see the point in emailing the Admissions Office, it's horrible to try to get through to them, I can't find where to contact them and it won't change what's happened, unless they can give me some advice about what to do at college to gain admittance next year or whatever. I actually got the rejection a while ago and the disappointment has been brewing in my mind since then, I have OCD and it keeps creeping up and bothering me, I thought I'd be better to get it out.

Thanks for getting back to me.
Reply 2
First thing's first: you are NOT a failure.

I felt much the same after I got rejected from my top choice and friends of mine got in, despite the fact that I had 4 offers as you do. It does feel bad, but trust me when I say that if you take the plunge and go for another one of your choices (it seems like you're leaning towards Strathclyde) you won't feel they way you do now; you won't be able to imagine going to another university! The feeling sucks now, and it will take a while to get over it, but just be safe in the knowledge that this time last year I felt exactly the same way you did, and I sit here now very perfectly content with how things went.

Of course, you need to think hard about whether you want to re-apply. In the end I didn't because they gap between my first and second choice was marginal, but whatever you decide, just know that it will get better, that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that going for Strathclyde still leaves you with a great future ahead of you: after all, it's not as though no-one from Strathclyde (or any university for that matter) has gone on to do great things. Good luck with everything, wish you the best whatever you decide :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you!

Thank you both for the wonderful things you've said, you've honestly made me feel a lot better.

I'll need to do some more research into Strathclyde but I just don't know what to do at this moment, I'm still thinking about college and Glasgow, I just wouldn't know whether to do highers or whatever. I was just thinking about my future in a closed up way I guess, and I'm kind of drawn in by the prestige of Glasgow in terms of arts, but I suppose it's more about the work that I put into it, and how far I'm personally willing to go...

I'll think about it haha.
Reply 4
Original post by vientown
Hi, I applied to university through UCAS in December and had most of my hopes pinned on an offer from Glasgow for English lit...unfortunately I did not receive that offer and got offers from every other university instead. A lot of my friends from school are going to Glasgow and I feel like the odd one out even though my grades are not particularly bad and would have met the requirements, especially after this year.

I don't know what to do, if I should go to college or accept the other offers? Right now I just feel so depressed over not receiving an offer and I really feel like my future could not go anywhere, and I don't think I'll get admission to the JET programme when I leave university.

I had really tried and hoped I'd be succesful with Glasgow and it feels like such a blow to my confidence and my person in general that I didn't get an receive an offer, and when I read the threads on here about people gaining acceptance to Glasgow with unconditionals etc I have to wonder what was so bad about my application that I couldn't even be offered a conditional? I'm just in a very dark place right now.

Could anyone advise me if these unis I've gained acceptance to are worth it?

Strathclyde - my ideal university of the bunch, as it's close by.
Dundee - I'd have to move, but it seems respectable.
Aberdeen - I don't think Aberdeen is very good, and again, I'd have to move.
Stirling - The same as Aberdeen.

Is it worth it at all? Would I be better going to college for a year or will that push me further from Glasgow? If anyone could help me that'd be fantastic.

Hello there! I kind of know how you feel as I had two top choices and got rejected from one (Edinburgh) but i have just firmed my choice in Aberdeen and I am so buzzing for september!

Yeah you might feel like Glasgow is the only university for you but there's a saying my dad told me when i was gutted after getting rejected and its "what's for you will not go by you" , so maybe Glasgow isn't the right university for you. Also, all my friends are going to college - I'm the only one going to university so the fact that your pals are going to Glasgow should be irrelevant because as sad as it may be, there is a very very high chance your going to make a new circle of friends. They are all fantastic universities that you got other offers from! There's other people I know that are sitting with no offers and got rejected from every choice so just remember that your in a far better position than so many other people as university is so so competitive at the moment! hope it all works out for you :smile: just dont feel disheartened because you have 4 other amazing opportunities there! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by vientown
Thank you!

Thank you both for the wonderful things you've said, you've honestly made me feel a lot better.

I'll need to do some more research into Strathclyde but I just don't know what to do at this moment, I'm still thinking about college and Glasgow, I just wouldn't know whether to do highers or whatever. I was just thinking about my future in a closed up way I guess, and I'm kind of drawn in by the prestige of Glasgow in terms of arts, but I suppose it's more about the work that I put into it, and how far I'm personally willing to go...

I'll think about it haha.

Also, I know league tables are a whole load of complete rubbish! but they are useful in giving you a fair idea as to where is a good place to go! Go on to the complete university guide and look at the top universities in Scotland for English and look at the percentage difference in graduate prospects and overall score between Glasgow, Strathclyde and Aberdeen ... there is pretty much nothing in it!

Obviously the universities want you so I think perhaps going to college would be a mistake as it wouldn't be the level of difficulty you should be studying! you might actually find it less enjoyable than you would going to another university, however tell us all what you decide to do! :smile:
First of all well done, there is nothing wrong with not receiving an offer from Glasgow, it is statistically the hardest university to get into due to the fact for every 1 place they have 8 applicants. I too have received an unsuccessful from there and an offer from Strathclyde.

I think Strathclyde is a well respected and very much prestigious university ( not as much as Glasgow) however it does 'beat' Glasgow in a number of areas.

May I also point out that Aberdeen is a very prestigious university aswell, as an ancient university it has a well respected history and Stirling, despite being new is much more respected than Dundee.

Again, I would pick Strathclyde - it is a very good university.
Reply 7
Have you been to visit the other universities?
They are all good unis and maybe if you go and see them you might feel differently?

I know that I changed my mind after doing visits. And after the applicants day in Aberdeen my friend is now swithering from what was her absolute favourite!
Reply 8
Of course you're not a failure! All of the universities you've recieved offers from are highly respectable. Last term I even tried to transfer from Glasgow to Strathclyde but they wouldn't accept me :rolleyes:.
Reply 9
you can always start your course from one of your offers then trandfer in your second year .... plenty universities allow you to do that ... call up glasglow and find out if they take transfers for your course!... HOPE IT HELPS :smile:
Reply 10
English Literature is notoriously difficult to get all 5 offers as it's such an oversubscribed course. To get 4 means that your PS and grades must be spot on. I know it must feel sad to not be able to continue with your friends, but university is the ideal chance to make new ones. You might feel a little out of the loop when you go home, but after university everyone tends to hang out again, but you'll have a few new friends from uni as well. :biggrin:
Reply 11
I know EXACTLY how you feel!
For the last 4 years I've been wanting to go to Edinburgh University to study Business Studies there. I worked very hard at school, then got rejected for three courses while sitting my Abitur exams (final exams in Germany) and was absolutely heartbroken. I didn't give up. Studied hard, did a bunch of language certificates, extracurricular activities .... there's a lot more. I started studying at a German university that I didn't like at all and reapplied to Edinburgh. They told me, that my grades would be enough (1,1). However, I got rejected again. 2nd time round. I felt EXACTLY like you. Like such a failure. My dream is not coming true and it feels hard to accept that, after all that work you have put into your application. I felt a lot better when I got some feedback.

But after all, I got an offer for Strathclyde's Business School and I was more than happy that one University wants me!! I know that it is hard to go through such a thing, I did it myself, and the feeling being rejected the 2nd time is not any nicer than the 1st time.

I think there is a famous quote of somebody I dont remember the name of:
"If one door closes, another door opens"

I like that quote. Maybe you're not going to Glasgow, but going to Strathclyde could also "open" a lot of doors for you! It is a great university, much nicer than I initially thought!

And sometimes, there are no reasonable reasons for being rejected. Some people get into Oxbridge and not their other University of choice! Who know why they were rejected? Admissions processes do not always make sense. And the worst thing you could do is trying to convince yourself that you are not good enough or a failure. I know it is hard, but try to stay strong and concentrate on your strenghts!!

Don't let it get you down! 4 other offers is a great outcome! (I only had 1 offer and 7 rejections, although I did so well in my Abitur!!) So you should be very very pleased with yourself :smile:

If you feel like talking you can write me a pm. :smile:
Hey I just wanna say I was in the same position as you, I had my heart set on Glasgow as my first choice, I applied with grades that qualified me to receive an unconditional and not only did I not receive that, I didn't even get a conditional - just a straight out rejection. This was a massive blow, it was the first university that had made a decision regarding my application so I first of all thought..

1. I've done something terribly wrong in my application
2. If I got rejected from Glasgow I'm going to get rejected from Edinburgh as well (I applied for 2 courses there), thus leaving me with 2 institutions which I didn't mind, but wasn't particularly interested in.

I'm still waiting to hear back from 1 course at Edinburgh and also Dundee but I received an unconditional for the other course at Edinburgh! and then an unconditional at Aberdeen too, this has really cheered me up, I'm still upset about Glasgow because I love the city and go to gigs there all the time.

Don't be put off by where you're friends go, most of mine went to stirling and I'm not, heck I didn't even apply there! You're gonna meet lot's of new people anyway so it's not an issue, especially if you go to Strathclyde cause you're gonna be in the same city as them anyway :smile: I think it's fantastic that you've received 4 offers, you should be really proud of yourself! :biggrin: I think you should look at your course at each uni and see which one is most suited to you. The only places I applied to that's the same as you were Dundee and Aberdeen and Glasgow, I think I would have been torn between Dundee and Aberdeen because I'd prefer Aberdeen city but Dundee is closer to home as well as Edinburgh and Glasgow. I reckon I'd have probably went for Dundee to be honest, I love my gigs too much and Aberdeen is just to far to hop on a train to Glasgow :smile:

So yeah, you're NOT a failure, Glasgow isn't the be all and end all, I think you've done great and I wish you all the best in choosing a university :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest