The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Michael XYZ
Past like 80% of my max I have quite a bit of trouble unracking heavy weight for the bench press. Now I know I could ask for a lift-off but at the gym I train at unfortunately most are ignorant of powerlifting and they'll pull the weight too much and shoulders will come forward or they'll spot you and help ASAP.

So I'm gonna try bench in the power rack (which I never really do) so I have safeties but, yes, the issue is unracking weight. Many times you hear people say to use your lats to get it to you; dragging the bar to your chest/belly and not pushing on it. But, yes, that's impossible with the pegs on the rack I have and you need to press it a little.

Issue is, if I press it then my shoulders are going to naturally come forward and then mess up the whole thing.

So what do you guys do? I do see some train alone and go for maxes so it's definitely doable.

Edit: Like Mike here does it fine and that's a huge weight although not sure what % it is for him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahb27xcE9XI

I just unrack myself and bench without spotter these days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPYNx8lT1gY

started the love diet this week :wink:, pretty much all my meals are the same with macros adjusted for my needs. feels like every day is a cheat day with dem dam pancakes lol,
Reply 1982
Original post by Gallium
i think i'll hit a 100kg bench in a few months, my bench and ohp are going up nicely. already got a 140kg squat and 180 deadlift, just need to get exams done so i can hit some juicy prs.

i was actually leaner in January but i ate alot and din't really train much for a while so put on the fatzzz.

You may have already got 180 deadlift but you said that you failed a 150 deadlift the other day. Therefore you don't have a 180 deadlift anymore.

Stop throwing numbers around that don't correspond to your training anymore.
Original post by GQ.
You may have already got 180 deadlift but you said that you failed a 150 deadlift the other day. Therefore you don't have a 180 deadlift anymore.

get liking the testosterone muscle facebook page if you want some freebies/regular competitions

i'm going to helping to run it and have quite a decent budget for prizes each month

https://www.facebook.com/TestosteroneMuscleUK

edit: last competition was for 2 bodypower tickets, and only 16 entered.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by u4m1r
What do you guys reckon is better for delt development? I want nice, round, full delts. Currently I do standing BB overhead press 5/3/1 followed by 5x10. Im thiking of switching to seated DB overhead press for thr 5x10, I only really feel military press on front delts and my delts never got big from doing that.

Yeah definitely do that. And add lateral raises too.
Original post by u4m1r
I just unrack myself and bench without spotter these days.

I know but is it a good rack/bench? You know how it is man... the bench sucks. I may just do what Monk does and use the rack instead.

In terms of roundness surely you need to hit side raises? I think I've been quite lucky with having somewhat round shoulders but I did do quite a few side raises a while back.
lat raises and rear delt work
My shoulder workout goes like this:

mil press: 5x3
seated db press: 3x10
lateral raises: 4x10
facepulls, reverse flies
How the **** is CrossFit so damn popular? This is why I hate most people...

Reebok pledging thousands to the winner when strongman or powerlifting get **** all. Gah, stupid weak idiots.
CrossFit is a cult, but well, if it gets people off their arse and gets them fit then good for them. Plus some of the women are pretty hot.
Original post by GQ.

it's just set-up issue and deadlifting after i'm pretty fatigued from squatting and stuff. will take longer breaks between sets today to see what happens.
It's a cult that is doing FAR too well.

Personally I'm quite disappointed in powerlifting. If it sorted out its many issues I see it being part of Olympics and from then on it'd do very well. But that's probably unlikely to be the case.

At least getting to Strongman level would be decent. But I don't like CF because it's over taken all these sports out of nowhere because SOMEHOW they get people to pay them stupid amounts of money every month to do a glorified circuit.

I don't think it's wrong but rather sad of powerlifting, say, to be trying to cut deals with CF. All the time you see really strong powerlifters - Westside Barbell, Supertraining Gym et al - doing seminars at CF. Powerlifting been around for so long and it's quite sad how they're having to try drum up some business from this new fad.
It's a cult that is doing FAR too well.

Personally I'm quite disappointed in powerlifting. If it sorted out its many issues I see it being part of Olympics and from then on it'd do very well. But that's probably unlikely to be the case.

At least getting to Strongman level would be decent. But I don't like CF because it's over taken all these sports out of nowhere because SOMEHOW they get people to pay them stupid amounts of money every month to do a glorified circuit.

I don't think it's wrong but rather sad of powerlifting, say, to be trying to cut deals with CF. All the time you see really strong powerlifters - Westside Barbell, Supertraining Gym et al - doing seminars at CF. Powerlifting been around for so long and it's quite sad how they're having to try drum up some business from this new fad.

i don't see the problem with xfit lol,

i guess the reason why power lifting isn't successful is due to their being a ton of organisations with different rules. tbf all powerlifting is to the average joe is a fat guy version of oly lifting, and i'm sure the olympic committee are actually removing events rather then adding them.
also compared to o-lifters so many powelifters get caught out roiding.
Everyone is on steroids so that's not an issue.

Yes, there's way too many federations though. Plus, no way it's gonna be in the Olympics with raw, single-ply and multi-ply. I think if they just had raw then it'd be possible but it's gone too far now. Nothing wrong with gear but for most people I think they wouldn't understand it.

To be honest I don't know why Oly lifting has done better. They're not that dissimilar in basic ways. I mean from the origins not now with how everything has gone.
Reply 1995
I don't know if the unflavoured MP whey is any different but it definitely clumps with water.

Also don't have the grid thing that some have if that makes any sort of difference.

PS - I squat more than you. :wink:

Well I'll have to sort that out now, won't I.

Reno - The Fattest-Arsed Little Lifter in the World.

:wink:
Everyone is on steroids so that's not an issue.

Yes, there's way too many federations though. Plus, no way it's gonna be in the Olympics with raw, single-ply and multi-ply. I think if they just had raw then it'd be possible but it's gone too far now. Nothing wrong with gear but for most people I think they wouldn't understand it.

To be honest I don't know why Oly lifting has done better. They're not that dissimilar in basic ways. I mean from the origins not now with how everything has gone.

well tbf powerlifting is harder to judge thats another reason, and i'f i remember the press was taken out of the Olympics as it was hard to judge.
I think keeping it to single-ply wouldn't have been too bad either. It's the multi-ply that's silly though.
The problem with powerlifting and oly lifting is that unless you're really into strength training they are boring as hell to watch. I love oly but unless it's the highest level lifters competing I have trouble staying awake watching it.
Haven't trained since last Tuesday due to illness. Get to gym at 1258.

"Gym closes at 1300 mate"

FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Latest