The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do mixed grip then, most people do. Just do your warm-up sets double overhand until you can't.
Reply 3961
Original post by silent ninja
I walked in the gym planning to do them standing and had a "oh look at that, it's a seat I'll give it a try" moment and kept doing it every week then on. Being serious. The only advantage of seated is I guess you can't cheat with your hips. I should do them standing at some point. I was doing some good mornings today and bloody hell 20kg felt surprisingly heavy above the head. I thought I was gonna throw it up and behind my head and it took me by surprise lol
Is it me or do you feel more like a man doing standing presses? That's another plus.

On another note, still struggling with deadlift grip. I managed 100kg x 3 today before the bar virtually slipped out of my double overhand grip. I think the bar is rubbish, it turns too much and we're not allowed chalk atm until the carpeted area is revamped. With heavy weights I'm finding it impossible to do 5 reps without a long pause and reset.
I did 140kg x 2 with mixed grip which further reinforces how weak my upper body strength is (and my grip) :frown:

How do you cheat with your hips?
Original post by McHumpy92
Do mixed grip then, most people do. Just do your warm-up sets double overhand until you can't.

I'm doing that but the gap between my mixed grip and DO is getting larger which is a little worrying. Don't want to screw my bicep up either which is a risk.

Original post by GQ.
How do you cheat with your hips?

Excessively using your hips? I dunno, I haven't done them that much but you push your hips back then once it goes past your head you push hips forward which can lend to cheating.
Standing is WAY better for in front of the head barbell presses because you really need to move your body underneath the bar. Seated is better for dumbbells, because they're tough enough to stabilise as it is and if you do them standing controlling them is such a limiting factor that you never lift significant enough weight to hit your shoulders. For BTN barbells seated is better for strict for most people because it's easier to set up the rack to decrease the ROM.. Obviously push presses are standing. One arm DB press is standing too because the only reason you'd do it is as an event.

That's what I think about pressing.
I agree with the above and is exactly what I do.
Standing does seem to be the favoured exercise and I may well try them this week, but I've had zero problems (back or otherwise) doing them seated. The back rest can take over from the core when form gets sloppy so that can be a bad thing I guess.
Original post by silent ninja
Standing does seem to be the favoured exercise and I may well try them this week, but I've had zero problems (back or otherwise) doing them seated. The back rest can take over from the core when form gets sloppy so that can be a bad thing I guess.

The barbell overhead press is a compound movement. No bodypart ("core") should be rested or left out. If your abs give out, tough, you can't lift that weight.
2 new fitness mods.

Monk and xoxAngel_Kxox

Should be alright i reckon.:smile:
Original post by The Troll Toll
Standing is WAY better for in front of the head barbell presses because you really need to move your body underneath the bar. Seated is better for dumbbells, because they're tough enough to stabilise as it is and if you do them standing controlling them is such a limiting factor that you never lift significant enough weight to hit your shoulders. For BTN barbells seated is better for strict for most people because it's easier to set up the rack to decrease the ROM.. Obviously push presses are standing. One arm DB press is standing too because the only reason you'd do it is as an event.

That's what I think about pressing.

I disagree with the standing DBs, I can lift the same amount with these as I can seated. I don't like seated with back support :frown:
Original post by Motorbiker
2 new fitness mods.

Monk and xoxAngel_Kxox

Should be alright i reckon.:smile:

Good choices

are you entering the comp?
Original post by commandant
Good choices

True, good mix of people now.

Urm, hadn't thought about it. Tbh i'm maintaining weight with very slow muscle gain so visibly i don't reckon it will make much difference. May do pics anyway just for fun but dont want to post starting pics and look worse than my ending pics from like 2 months ago though...
Original post by commandant
Good choices

Likewise, seated presses feel really awkward, I think I've relied too much on my back when doing bb presses in the past, think I might give standing db presses a go.

Wrong post quoted oops.
question to redhotbutters or brahs that have dne texas method style benching,

last few weeks i noticed i hit prs on friday workouts but on monday my bench is utter crap/week, couldn't even get the first set out of my 5x5 today ;(, any real reasoning behind this?

finally can do reps with the glute ham riase!!!

squatted 130x4 today( misloaded the bar) then hit up max reps on 105 got 12.

also doing db rows but grip fails on last sets, straps don't seem to help at all.

on the question of presses standing bb>>>>>

would hit some lateral/rear delt raises after if your after shoulder development
(edited 11 years ago)
Russians / eastern block folks are beast when it comes to benching... how come they get so strong in such a short duration ... sheiko ? Just what is their methodology ?
Original post by liftorrot
Russians / eastern block folks are beast when it comes to benching... how come they get so strong in such a short duration ... sheiko ? Just what is their methodology ?

I noticed most of them bench really often, doing sub maximal work.
Eastern Bloc training does a lot of volume on benching. To press a lot, you need to press a lot.
Original post by Gallium
I noticed most of them bench really often, doing sub maximal work.

Original post by The Blind Monk
Eastern Bloc training does a lot of volume on benching. To press a lot, you need to press a lot.

I see... might start that kind of training at some point.. after I give madcows a shot (<140bp lol ) , if my coach allows me to . :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
It's a really long shot but anyone know how Eric Lilliebridge programs his training?

I like his idea of going for triples/double/singles which I did before but he does it in a rather random-looking manner.
Reply 3978
Original post by Michael XYZ
It's a really long shot but anyone know how Eric Lilliebridge programs his training?

I like his idea of going for triples/double/singles which I did before but he does it in a rather random-looking manner.

as much as I said before "o u need to do moar volume" at the end of the day what you were doing clearly worked for you on squat. Why not just use your intuition and do what you were doing before, again ?

fair enough i know you want your bench bigger and you didn't like what you were doing, maybe you could nick someone else's ideas for that
I know but the issue is I also probably had an amazing period of time. I mean, I can't just triple every week and add weight and expect to keep going. The issue is what do I do when I can't do it?

Right now I'm torn between that and something like Ed Coan's style of training. Very basic periodisation really. I'm just not a massive fan of doing things like 2x8 though. I'm not sure there's much point in doing the higher reps as the main work. I am okay to do them lighter another day but not for the squat day, say.

With the former I'd have to kind of come up with some numbers to hit for a 10-week cycle or something. Like it can't just be day 1 max and do 182.5kg x 1 because no way am I gonna go in next week and just do 185kg and so on. It'd have to be like I want 5kg increase in that 10 weeks and sort out some numbers to get it.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest