The Student Room Group

How Bad is flying with Ryanair? Experiences please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I flew with Ryanair one way to Oslo Rygge from Newcastle for £22 including taxes and checked luggage of up to 15kg (starting point for my inter railing trip). Turned up at Newcastle with a bag that weighed 9kg, hopped on the plane and was at Oslo Rygge in 55 minutes. Although they fly to secondary airports getting public transport to the city is easy enough, Oslo Rygge is like 40 minutes by train from Oslo so it was no big deal at all.

All in all it was quick, cheap and fairly pleasant experience
Reply 81
Never had a problem. It makes me laugh when people moan that they're always trying to make money out of them with add-ons etc. They've got to make their money somehow, I've taken a flight to Brussels from Manchester for a total of £8, or Gdansk for £10 for a couple of examples. How much money could they have possibly made off me? I'd find it absurd to complain they're trying to get me to buy other things right the way through the process. The rules are clear and like most things, you generally get what you pay for, air travel included. I completely understand if they've been priggish and pulled out oversized bags if the handle is sticking out or whatever but I've never noticed anybody on any of the flights I've taken have any problem at all.
I also honestly think a lot of problems people perceive to have are products of their own brains, a kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. For instance, the leg room isn't any different to other European chartered flights.
Reply 82
I've flown with them a couple of times, it's always been fine.
I've never been over the baggage limit so I can't comment on that, somehow I managed to only use 5kg of my 15kg allowance when going to Spain for 8 nights. Despite having a 2 man tent and an air mattress in there with my clothes :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Its cheap... don't expect much more than that.
Reply 84
Ryan air fly from Birmingham International to 'Girona - Barcelona'. Girona is over an hours drive from Barcelona.

But apart from being silly and pretending they fly closer to major airports than they really do, ryanair are fine. I've only ever flown BA and thomas cook and the only thing that annoyed me that was different was that you don't book your seats - so make sure you get on board amongst the first if you want to sit anywhere specific.
Original post by twelve
Ryan air fly from Birmingham International to 'Girona - Barcelona'. Girona is over an hours drive from Barcelona.

But apart from being silly and pretending they fly closer to major airports than they really do, ryanair are fine. I've only ever flown BA and thomas cook and the only thing that annoyed me that was different was that you don't book your seats - so make sure you get on board amongst the first if you want to sit anywhere specific.

I always get on last, flash a smile at the stewardess and ask her if I can have one of the exit seats if there are any available. There usually are, because most people who fly Ryanair do so because it is cheap as possible and don't want to pay the extra. Asking her in Polish (if she has a Polish name tag) is almost guaranteed to get a result.
My friend just got a job as a first pilot with Ryanair, so I'd recommend travelling with your seatbelts on throughout for a few months, just in case :teehee:
Reply 87
If you know the rules of either RyanAir or WizzAir, and keep to it strictly, there shouldn't occur any problem like paying extra at the gate..

In fact, it all comes down to flying cheaper for a little extra info to bear in mind and being careful. :smile:
Reply 88
You pay for what you get ! Its not bad once your actually on the plane...it's just getting on it becomes quite stressfull...the main thing you MUST do it make sure your hand luggage fits into them things where you put your luggage in to check its the right size/fit...(I'm sorry I dont know the proper term ) But Ryanair is very picky about this ! Seriously !...they check everyones bag fits into them before you get on the plane...and if you have bought some food at the airport and have it in a carrier bag they make you put that into your bag to check it fits...they make such a fuss over nothing
I have to admit, it is probably the worst airline to fly with however it does get you from A to B
Reply 89
They werent too bad in the end for that trip in which I started the thread for-crap leg room, crap seats but no issues with baggage, etc. But yeah at these ridiculous prices no complaints really. Used Lufthansa for the next two flights including the one home. Would use ryanair again, but purely on the cost which is neccessary at moment lol.
Reply 90
You get what you pay for.

Just play by their rules and you will be fine.

I wouldn't suggest being in their company for over 2 hours though.
I've never had any real problems with Ryanair, but it is budget cattle-class flying for sure.

The thing that annoys me most about them is the constant tannoy announcements. When I flew back from Berlin to Stansted there was not one minute without an announcement or cabin crew trying to wave something in your face/throw it at you to make you buy it.

Safety video - Flight Info - Magazine/newspaper sales - Drinks and Meals - Duty Free - another drinks run - scratch cards - charity foreign currency collection - another charity collection of £ - annoying trumpet fanfare for doing their job and getting you from A to B on time. It was exhausting to listen to, especially on a night flight when you just want to snooze for an hour or so!

Still Monarch are worse for hostile staff I have found.
Reply 92
Flown several times with them. Every time in the past few years the landing has been rough and on every occasion it ends up the relieved passengers all cheering as the plane finally stabilizes and just misses crashing. They play adverts during the flight which piss me off.

On the other hand I am yet to die or actually buy any of the products which are constantly being shouted at me, and the price is extremely cheap so I would definitely go for it.
Original post by rawkus
Flown several times with them. Every time in the past few years the landing has been rough and on every occasion it ends up the relieved passengers all cheering as the plane finally stabilizes and just misses crashing. They play adverts during the flight which piss me off.

On the other hand I am yet to die or actually buy any of the products which are constantly being shouted at me, and the price is extremely cheap so I would definitely go for it.

You know what they say.

A good landing is any landing you can walk away from.

An excellent landing is one where you can use the plane again.
Reply 94
Ryanair is the equivalent of buying wine from lidl.
I've never had any problems (thought my experience is limited to 4 flights total). The flights aren't particularly pleasant but on shorter journeys it isn't a concern.

I've seen a lot of people get done on hand luggage, but it's always their own fault because Ryanair about the permitted dimensions. There's nothing dishonest about what they do - they are just strict about their policies (naturally, since they make a lot of their money through extra charges) and people keep thinking they can get away with it. Frankly I'm happy for idiots to get charged extra for excess baggage if it keeps the cost down for those of us capable of reading.
Reply 96
Ryanair is the worst company to work for. First you go through Internet and they tell you how you will earn up to 1000 euro or pounds as juniors and 2000 as no 1 it's ****. They lie and lie you get 3 days to work and 6 days off you get paid 285 per month or 600 or even less the hours are less as they keep hiring like crazy from other companies like crew link and workforce. When you working there rude N01s and managers who scream in your face because they want to. Bad English speaking cabin crew who think they good at English. If you all want to start from a low cost company go for other airlines ryanair will make you cry. Believe me or not it's the truth and you know it. Cabin crew just work for this company for the sake of getting paid at end of month but the job experience is horrible. No one is nice especially in Stansted base were there are rude base supervisors and managers. Who like to scream in cabin crew faces. No wonder some cabin crew are rude to customers because there not appreciated and treated bad. There should be investigations done in this company. Don't say I did not warn you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 97
I was on a Ryanair flight from Barcelona never again will I fly with them . After only 5 minutes of being in the air the plane started to shake then defended thousands of feet the pilot then shot the plane up only to descend thousand of feet again at this point people where screaming and going hysterical I thought at that moment we was going to die. Poor young lad next to me was praying had they and comfort him . I looked out the window and at that point plane still going crazy we fell right watched the wing as we well tipped right and fell out of the sky again . The pilot was a total ******** it must have gone on for over 10 to 15 minutes he hit something that he was warned to fly around he put all the passengers life's at risk . Never fly with them again . I spoke to my brother ant it he's in the royal air force he spoke to several pilots they all said it was totally unacceptable what he did he should be sacked

Quick Reply

Latest