The Student Room Group

2013 Veterinary reapplicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by beccac94
Sorry to hear about that :frown:

I highly advise getting feedback from them I got mine when I got rejected after interview and it was AMAZING :P

Oh cool is it a vet lab?

Hi, yep I shall be asking for feedback next week, I thought hopefully by May they won't be too busy to reply. Nice to hear Bristol give good feedback! Where else did you apply this year?

The thought of doing the BMAT again makes me feel rather ill...
Reply 61
Original post by Eevee13
Hi, yep I shall be asking for feedback next week, I thought hopefully by May they won't be too busy to reply. Nice to hear Bristol give good feedback! Where else did you apply this year?

I applied to Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Edinburgh I only got an interview for Bristol. You??

I haven't done the BMAT whats it like? I was think about applying to RVC next year instead of Edinburgh.
Original post by Eevee13

Hay sorry was just wonderin if you have asked for feedback from RVC an if so have you heared back ?????
Reply 63
I applied to Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Edinburgh I only got an interview for Bristol. You??

I haven't done the BMAT whats it like? I was think about applying to RVC next year instead of Edinburgh.

I applied for Bristol, Edinburgh, Notts and RVC. I was interviewed by RVC and Bristol but I didn't get offers, though I'm staying positive as at least I have that experience behind me now! I had an offer from Edinburgh but as a graduate I would have had to pay astronomical fees upfront, and I tried my best but just couldn't secure funding before the deadline. Next year I will only be applying to RVC.

The BMAT is ok as long as you take it seriously! I found it difficult as I hadn't done physics for about 6 years, but I used GCSE revision books for maths and the sciences as well as BMAT practice questions. I think as long as you keep cool and accept you won't be able to answer all the questions, you will be fine :smile:

Original post by amethyst<3
Hay sorry was just wonderin if you have asked for feedback from RVC an if so have you heared back ?????

Hiya, I haven't emailed yet, I think I will be doing it this weekend. I can post here when I hear back if you like! Have you emailed them?
Reply 64
This goes for me too :smile: Was sooo disappointed at first, but quite a few of my friends are on deffered/taking gap years, which is nice :smile: I'm just gonna get loads of work experience done, earn money and take back up the hobbies I had to drop cos of Sixth Form stress!! Good luck to everyone; my advice is to just make it YOUR year :smile:
:smile: :smile: keep smiling!!!
Reply 65
Anyone else dreading redoing their personal statment :'(
Reply 66
Anyone else dreading redoing their personal statment :'(

YES!!!!
Reply 67
Original post by m.ben
YES!!!!

I was thinking of sentences for my personal statement the other day and just kept writing things from my old one :'(
Reply 68
Hey Guys,

So sorry to hear that you are having to reapply :frown:

A gap year is absolutely amazing, I'm sure you will all love it as its gotta be one of the best things I've done :smile:

If any body wants any advice in how to approach your personal statement when you're on a gap year or advice on work exp in the Midlands I'm happy to help :smile:

Good luck with your A-Levels, I'm sure you will all ace your exams :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by Chloe0493
Hey Guys,

So sorry to hear that you are having to reapply :frown:

A gap year is absolutely amazing, I'm sure you will all love it as its gotta be one of the best things I've done :smile:

If any body wants any advice in how to approach your personal statement when you're on a gap year or advice on work exp in the Midlands I'm happy to help :smile:

Good luck with your A-Levels, I'm sure you will all ace your exams :biggrin:

Did you get into uni this year??? :smile:

On your personal statement did you talk much about what you where doing during the rest of your gap year?
I was wondering if anyone can help me? I have just received my feedback from Bristol which was really useful and detailed. I have one problem - I scored badly on "Importance of communication question" does anyone know what this means? It is not the same as personal communication as I scored well on that! :s-smilie: Help.
Original post by chalkncheese
I was wondering if anyone can help me? I have just received my feedback from Bristol which was really useful and detailed. I have one problem - I scored badly on "Importance of communication question" does anyone know what this means? It is not the same as personal communication as I scored well on that! :s-smilie: Help.

I'm assuming they asked you a question like "why is it good communication important?" which is what this presumably refers to. It might have been more specific - in my interview they asked about a particular voluntary placement that I wrote about in my personal statement (I'd mentioned that the position had helped improve my communication skills) and they wanted to know why it was important to be able to communicate well with the other people in that particular environment.
Reply 72
Original post by chalkncheese

Did they ask you a question along the likes of "why is communication between a vet and client important?" or something along those lines. I got asked about when I saw vets struggling to communicate with a client and how they overcome this. I just waffled on about rubbish but they didn't say I scored bad :/

The scientific question let me down because I completely forgot how vaccines work even though I revised it literally 10 minutes before going it :angry: I thinkj it was down to nerves though cause it was one of the first questions.
Reply 73
Did you get into uni this year??? :smile:

On your personal statement did you talk much about what you where doing during the rest of your gap year?

Hey, yeah I'm am starting at Bristol in October :biggrin:

I didn't mention too much about my Gap Year in my personal statement, just mentioned some of the things that I will be doing after my application.

I think it is more important to talk about what you have done and more specifically what you have learnt from this.

Try to get as much variation as possible in your work experience, I see from your previous posts that you have 3 months planned at the zoo which is really good. I have spent time at my local zoo and its really good fun.

Also try to get some animal voluntary experience as they love that at uni.

From your question about which Uni's want AAB:-
- Liverpool AAB
- Nottingham AAB
- Bristol AAA(but have offered AAB and will let you resit if you get AAB)
- RVC AAA (but will let you resit if you get a minimum of BBC)

Hope this helps

Anymore questions just ask :smile:
thanks guys - I thought it must be something like that but have no recollection of having been asked a question like that! No wonder I scored badly.:colondollar: I came out of my interview feeling they hadn't really asked me anything so I obvs was too nervous to listen. :frown: I then had to map read my mum back through rush hour traffic and the whole interview thing seems to have been erased from my memory. Think I should have written down some notes afterwards!
Reply 75
Original post by Chloe0493
Hey, yeah I'm am starting at Bristol in October :biggrin:

I didn't mention too much about my Gap Year in my personal statement, just mentioned some of the things that I will be doing after my application.

I think it is more important to talk about what you have done and more specifically what you have learnt from this.

Try to get as much variation as possible in your work experience, I see from your previous posts that you have 3 months planned at the zoo which is really good. I have spent time at my local zoo and its really good fun.

Also try to get some animal voluntary experience as they love that at uni.

From your question about which Uni's want AAB:-
- Liverpool AAB
- Nottingham AAB
- Bristol AAA(but have offered AAB and will let you resit if you get AAB)
- RVC AAA (but will let you resit if you get a minimum of BBC)

Hope this helps

Anymore questions just ask :smile:

Congrats for getting into Bristol :biggrin: and thankyou for your help
Reply 76
hi, i got rejected from all of my offers too :frown:
Did any of you get interviews or just straight out rejections? I got rejections from all of mine, no interviews!
I really hope I can go travelling at the end of next summer, just got to get fundraising!
Do you think there is much point doing loads of work experience after you've applied? I was planning on just doing loads this summer and then getting a job (maybe two!) to save up for travelling..
Reply 77
Original post by Rosie4DC
Did any of you get interviews or just straight out rejections? I got rejections from all of mine, no interviews!
I really hope I can go travelling at the end of next summer, just got to get fundraising!
Do you think there is much point doing loads of work experience after you've applied? I was planning on just doing loads this summer and then getting a job (maybe two!) to save up for travelling..

I got one interview from Bristol and I thought I'd do mainly work experience throughout the whole year (unless I have to go back to college) as I'm just thinking that it might be hard to find a job with unemployment being high and stuff. I really want to do some travelling but just won't be able to afford it thats why I thought doing exotic placements would make up for going abroad and maybe next summer I might go backpacking or something.
Original post by Rosie4DC

I got two interviews an two straight rejections but i wouldnt worry about that too much cos ur gunna be in a lot better position cos unis are goin to know ur grades when you apply :smile: also its best to concentrate on gettin as much work experience as possible and just fillin in gap in your work experience a job would be great but Id only do if it was also giving you work experience at the same time :smile:
Reply 79
How long do you want to go travelling for? Interviews tend to start mid November and finish late April early March so going before then might be problematic but you could always go for a couple of months after that. As other posters have said, getting high levels of work experience is really important. Obviously try and get as much as possible before you apply but any that you do between your application and potential interviews will give you loads to talk about at interview as well. Work wise it'll probably be easier if you get bar or waitressing work which you can do in the evenings or weekends and fit work exp around that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending