The Student Room Group

Nintendo 3DS Society - Discussion and Friend Code Exchange

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noregrets
Thanks for the reply! With animal crossing, is there enough to make it a new game? Haven't played it for years but i'm worried I would get bored pretty fast if it works out much the same game!

It's still an Animal Crossing game but there are a few tweaks. You get to be the mayor of the town & decide where things like a police station, coffee shop, etc are built. There's a lot more character customisation as you can change your hair, eyes, trousers, shoes. & you can customise furniture which is cool. & there's an island where you can go to play mini games and earn bells which is nice. I managed to get about 160+ hours out of the game before I started to get bored so it was definitely value for money.

The graphics are really nice as well. :tongue: Especially when you compare it to Wild World...
Original post by TroyAndAbed
It's still an Animal Crossing game but there are a few tweaks. You get to be the mayor of the town & decide where things like a police station, coffee shop, etc are built. There's a lot more character customisation as you can change your hair, eyes, trousers, shoes. & you can customise furniture which is cool. & there's an island where you can go to play mini games and earn bells which is nice. I managed to get about 160+ hours out of the game before I started to get bored so it was definitely value for money.

The graphics are really nice as well. :tongue: Especially when you compare it to Wild World...

I'm so tempted by it...got stressful exams coming up and I think it would really be a good de-stresser at night lol.

Any suggestions about other games? And know any sites where they are slightly cheaper? Amazed at games over three year old still being more than £30!
Very good at calming you down :smile: the musics almost as good as the GC game as well :smile:
I also recommend AC as a relaxing gaming experience, as for other games my favourite on the 3DS is still Fire Emblem:Awakening
Is anybody going to the LoZ concert at Wembley tomorrow?
I'm so tempted by it...got stressful exams coming up and I think it would really be a good de-stresser at night lol.

Any suggestions about other games? And know any sites where they are slightly cheaper? Amazed at games over three year old still being more than £30!

I started playing New Leaf after a particularly bad exam and it soothed me and put me in a better mind when I went back to revision. :tongue:

I'd really recommend Fire Emblem: Awakening as Luhar said! I've spent over 80 hours on it so it's another game that I definitely felt was worth the price. There's a demo for it on the eShop that I'd recommend trying as it really sold me on the game. It's a strategy game with really engaging characters and storylines.

Animal Crossing is £25.50 on Amazon so not exactly a bargain but not bad. Can't see it much cheaper elsewhere. The annoying thing about most Nintendo games is how well they hold up in price. :frown:
Original post by Bubble87
Is anybody going to the LoZ concert at Wembley tomorrow?

It's in the wrong city. :frown:

I recommend this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professor-Layton-vs-Phoenix-Wright/dp/B00E4LGLZO

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

Really is an amazing game, really story based. I haven't completed it though, you won't get anywhere as much as animal crossing or smash brothers.

BTW I don't recommend smash bros if you haven't got it as you may lose a lot of games and go on tilt, where you feel mad. Trust me, I know :biggrin:.
Original post by TheNoobishKnight
I recommend this.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professor-Layton-vs-Phoenix-Wright/dp/B00E4LGLZO

Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright.

Really is an amazing game, really story based. I haven't completed it though, you won't get anywhere as much as animal crossing or smash brothers.

BTW I don't recommend smash bros if you haven't got it as you may lose a lot of games and go on tilt, where you feel mad. Trust me, I know :biggrin:.

Downloaded the fire emblem demo. I quite fancy trying the professor layton games actually, they're fairly cheap now!

Hahaha OK, smash bros is definitely harder on a handheld!
Downloaded the fire emblem demo. I quite fancy trying the professor layton games actually, they're fairly cheap now!

Hahaha OK, smash bros is definitely harder on a handheld!

Na, I find it harder on my Wii U lol. Maybe cause I practised more on my 3DS or something lol.
My Ness and Charizard amiibo's are here :smile:

1429872668513.jpg

Not really going to buy anymore unless I see Lucina and Robin somewhere in stock.
Original post by Luhar
My Ness and Charizard amiibo's are here :smile:

1429872668513.jpg

Not really going to buy anymore unless I see Lucina and Robin somewhere in stock.

How are the amibo with the 3ds? Is the principle the same as the wiiu? I want to buy smash bros but it's too expensive at the moment.
How are the amibo with the 3ds? Is the principle the same as the wiiu? I want to buy smash bros but it's too expensive at the moment.

I wouldn't expect that price to be dropping much any time soon, I'm afraid - it's a first party Nintendo game, after all.

Yes, the principle of amiibo functionality is the same on the 3DS. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Illusionary
I wouldn't expect that price to be dropping much any time soon, I'm afraid - it's a first party Nintendo game, after all.

Yes, the principle of amiibo functionality is the same on the 3DS. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, maybe on eBay at some point though! Managed to get a near new version of pokemon x for £20 :biggrin:
Mega bump!!

Guys I just wanted some advice, I'm looking to buy the new 3ds xl but is it worth it? My last (and first) handheld was the DS lite way back in 2007 which I loved as a kid. I've been meaning to buy a 3ds for a long time but I guess my worry is that if I were to buy it now it might become obsolete pretty soon.

Also, what games would you recommend?
Original post by The.Joker
Mega bump!!

Guys I just wanted some advice, I'm looking to buy the new 3ds xl but is it worth it? My last (and first) handheld was the DS lite way back in 2007 which I loved as a kid. I've been meaning to buy a 3ds for a long time but I guess my worry is that if I were to buy it now it might become obsolete pretty soon.

Also, what games would you recommend?

I assume that you mean a "New 3DS"/"New 3DS XL", rather than just a 3DS that is new (such a helpful name, isn't it? :tongue:)

There aren't very many games that make specific use of the New 3DS's additional functionality/power as compared to the original 3DS - off the top of my head, these are:
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - improved graphics
Super Smash Bros - faster loading, integration of C-stick controls
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - N3DS exclusive
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - faster loading, integration of C-stick controls
Hyrule Warriors Legends (released next month) - faster loading, integration of C-stick controls

Beyond those, though, the 3D tracking is certainly much improved and much more stable on the N3DS - but if you're looking for good value, perhaps also consider the 2DS, which lacks the 3DS functionality but can be picked up cheaply and can play all DS/3DS games except Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

As for whether or not to go for the XL model, that's primarily a trade-off of screensize vs portability, which comes down to personal preference, plus you have the ability to swap out 'face-plates' on the non-XL model..

Whichever model you go with, you'll be able to play all of your original DS cartridge games natively.

As for game recommendations, can you let us know what genres/types of games you'd be interested in? Regardless of your answer, though, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a mandatory purchase (and an inexpensive one, at that).
I assume that you mean a "New 3DS"/"New 3DS XL", rather than just a 3DS that is new (such a helpful name, isn't it? :tongue:)

There aren't very many games that make specific use of the New 3DS's additional functionality/power as compared to the original 3DS - off the top of my head, these are:
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - improved graphics
Super Smash Bros - faster loading, integration of C-stick controls
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D - N3DS exclusive
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - faster loading, integration of C-stick controls
Hyrule Warriors Legends (released next month) - faster loading, integration of C-stick controls

Beyond those, though, the 3D tracking is certainly much improved and much more stable on the N3DS - but if you're looking for good value, perhaps also consider the 2DS, which lacks the 3DS functionality but can be picked up cheaply and can play all DS/3DS games except Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

As for whether or not to go for the XL model, that's primarily a trade-off of screensize vs portability, which comes down to personal preference, plus you have the ability to swap out 'face-plates' on the non-XL model..

Whichever model you go with, you'll be able to play all of your original DS cartridge games natively.

As for game recommendations, can you let us know what genres/types of games you'd be interested in? Regardless of your answer, though, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a mandatory purchase (and an inexpensive one, at that).

Yup a new New 3DS!! Not a new old 3DS. :wink:

For me I feel that a larger screen is a must have, as much as I adore the new 3ds' coloured buttons and faceplates the xl seems to take the cake. Especially as portability isn't a major issue for me as I'll just use my 3ds at home predominantly. Also, I've just seen the recently released pokemon 2ds', they look really cool with the transparent cases and coloured buttons-it's great they come with the original pokemon games too.

I don't have my old ds + games anymore as it was given away, but most of the games I had are like 7/8+ years old now so there are no doubt tons of cheap copies flying about.

I used to play the professor layton games-I think the first two, new super mario bros, mario kart, super mario 64, mario party, legend of zelda phantom hourglass, phoenix wright ace attorney, cake mania, cooking mama, nintendogs, a few of the sims games, spore creatures. I'm pretty sure I played a few others but I can't remember them at the moment!

I'm really interested in super smash bros and the new zelda games. I'm sure I'll be blown away from the newer 3ds games since I haven't played in a fair few years now.

EDIT:

I can't believe I forgot about pokemon! I used to play pokemon diamond on my old ds lite. I never played the original pokemon games so I'm really excited about being able to buy and play them now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by The.Joker
Yup a new New 3DS!! Not a new old 3DS. :wink:

For me I feel that a larger screen is a must have, as much as I adore the new 3ds' coloured buttons and faceplates the xl seems to take the cake. Especially as portability isn't a major issue for me as I'll just use my 3ds at home predominantly. Also, I've just seen the recently released pokemon 2ds', they look really cool with the transparent cases and coloured buttons-it's great they come with the original pokemon games too.

I don't have my old ds + games anymore as it was given away, but most of the games I had are like 7/8+ years old now so there are no doubt tons of cheap copies flying about.

I used to play the professor layton games-I think the first two, new super mario bros, mario kart, super mario 64, mario party, legend of zelda phantom hourglass, phoenix wright ace attorney, cake mania, cooking mama, nintendogs, a few of the sims games, spore creatures. I'm pretty sure I played a few others but I can't remember them at the moment!

I'm really interested in super smash bros and the new zelda games. I'm sure I'll be blown away from the newer 3ds games since I haven't played in a fair few years now.

EDIT:

I can't believe I forgot about pokemon! I used to play pokemon diamond on my old ds lite. I never played the original pokemon games so I'm really excited about being able to buy and play them now.

Okay then, sticking purely to New 3DS games rather than games for the original DS, what I'm going to do is just give some cross-genre recommendations for you to consider - you'd be hard-pressed to go far wrong with any of these. Take a look at some of the following:

Bravely Default (and its new-release sequel, Bravely Second)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening (then join the masses crying out for a European release date for Fire Emblem Fates)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (*superb* remakes, regardless of whether you've played them before)
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros
Mario Kart 7
New Super Mario Bros 2
Pokemon X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Star Fox 64 3D
Super Smash Bros
Okay then, sticking purely to New 3DS games rather than games for the original DS, what I'm going to do is just give some cross-genre recommendations for you to consider - you'd be hard-pressed to go far wrong with any of these. Take a look at some of the following:

Bravely Default (and its new-release sequel, Bravely Second)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening (then join the masses crying out for a European release date for Fire Emblem Fates)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask (*superb* remakes, regardless of whether you've played them before)
Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros
Mario Kart 7
New Super Mario Bros 2
Pokemon X/Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire
Star Fox 64 3D
Super Smash Bros

Thanks for the suggestions. :smile:

I've done a major u turn and I've just ordered the transparent red 2ds that comes with pokemon red! I'm definitely going to pick up the new 3ds xl (probably after my exams in two months time), it's just I couldn't resist the limited edition 2ds for £76! I also brought mario kart 7.

Spoiler

I'm slated to pick up the Pokemon 20th Anniversary Bundle Set this coming Tuesday! Pretty excited about it!

Quick Reply

Latest