The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lee Moon 89
So average for both graduates and non graduates?

Yes. It might be up to a grand either way, but the national average, including both graduates and non-graduates is about that figure.
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist
Yes. It might be up to a grand either way, but the national average, including both graduates and non-graduates is about that figure.

so your saying people who get jobs via going to uni and people who just get an everyday job earn more or less the same?

I suppose getting a job via Uni is better, less hours, more fun jobs, same pay or just a bit above and what do you mean by a grand either way?
Reply 22
Original post by JollyGreenAtheist

For all ages?
Original post by StevenKnott
I know this is a hard maybe even impossible question because it depends on a lot of variables.

However, realistically what's a good/average/bad salary?

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine said his mum was on a salary of roughly £19,000 and said that's an excellent salary. Yet, I know someone who's on a salary of roughly £35,000 and they say it's average.

Personally, I'd say;

£5k-£15k is not enough, 16k-30k is average, 30k-60k is good 60k-90k is excellent and 90K plus is the bees knees!

But, I just want to see what other peoples opinions are of what a good/bad etc salary is :smile:

Thanks, Steve

Depends where you are and how high you're aiming.

For instance, £80,000 in London, with the price of property and many other things, is probably the equivalent of £50-£60,000 elsewhere. If you want to live near the centre.
Reply 24
Enough so you can afford the things you need.
Reply 25
I used to get £22,000 that was decent, i guess it depends on how you spend it and where you live.
What jobs do your parents have?

They've both studied engineering, they're consultants.
My father works in the Crossrail project, I hear this is a pretty rewarding project :biggrin:
Reply 27
Original post by Yan_k
I used to get £22,000 that was decent, i guess it depends on how you spend it and where you live.

This. I went from £35,000+ in central London to £25,000+ outside, and I have ended up in a much better financial situation!
Original post by Felchingman
My father works in the Crossrail project, I hear this is a pretty rewarding project :biggrin:

What exactly is engineering?
Reply 29

What exactly is a project?
I'm in a school full of rich kids, and well with my parents earning a combined £120,000 , I'm on the bottom end of wealth. And my house sucks --> beauty of living in London.
In London, alone, a good salary starts at 60k.

It's alright for some.
Reply 31
Your question is extremely open to interpretation, a good salary for a graduate? A good salary with 10 years experience in your field?

Not to mention that 'good' is also open to a huge amount of interpretation, do you mean a comfortable salary where you can afford a nice house / car and a holiday or two a year?

For a graduate a 'good' (taking 'good' as in, above average and comfortably sufficient) salary would be 35k.

With 10 years experience in a technical / demanding field such as engineering, finance etc 60k would be a good salary.
I'd say CEO'ing a min of 10k a day.
I live in the south east and my parents earn around the 150k per year mark between them, it could be more or less but I know they reinvest the money into more stock and other costs. I do think a 'good salary' is anything over 40k.
so your saying people who get jobs via going to uni and people who just get an everyday job earn more or less the same?

No. He is just saying the average wage in the UK is somewhere between £20k and £25k.
Nothing to do with graduates v non graduates. Just taking into account all wages in the UK, the average is somewhere in that range.

what do you mean by a grand either way?

The the average figure isn't exact and could be a little different to what he said.
Reply 35
Depends of the person's situation. If you're single and are on 20K it's good, but if you have a big family and are on 20K it's terrible.
The point in your career determines to a huge extent what a good salary is. The salaries of school leavers are considerably less than the salaries of graduates which in turn are considerably less than the salaries of those who have been in full time employment for a number of years.

It's interesting that as soon as people see the question "What's a good salary?" they start thinking of numbers. A good salary is one which allows you and your family to live comfortably, so it's a very different absolute figure for different people.
Reply 37
Honestly it's a non-question.

There are a lot of variables;

1> To what extent is money your main motivator. Do you like curing children of diseases, hugging puppies or beating up drunkards? Or do you want to sit in an expensive club, pouring vintage champagne over your own personal Swedish beach volleyball team?

2> To what extent do you NEED the money. Do you have a huge mortgage? Do you have lots of dependants? Are you free as a bird with cheap taste? Do you have a habit to feed...?

3> Where do you live? Working and living in the city, it seems insane to me that anyone can survive on 25k in London - I live alone and spend everything I earn. And I earn a heck of a lot more than that. Yet in parts of the north of England, this salary could be enough to live comfortably and support a family. This country is ludicrously disparate.

4> How hard, and for how long do you want to work? If you work at an investment bank, as a new grad it is highly likely (in some roles) that you will earn much less on an hourly basis than a checkout assistant or even a benefit claimant. Yet they will have a chance to have a social life, and are far less likely to die of stress or a cocaine overdose at the age of 30.

A good salary is a meaningless concept really - you need to look at life as a package. Are you happy? Then who gives a toss what you earn.
Reply 38
Original post by WelshBluebird
No. He is just saying the average wage in the UK is somewhere between £20k and £25k.
Nothing to do with graduates v non graduates. Just taking into account all wages in the UK, the average is somewhere in that range.

The the average figure isn't exact and could be a little different to what he said.

Big up the Bath uni massive.
Depends on your age if you ask me. A graduate earning more than 20k is on a good wage IMO. Around 40ish, I'd consider 40-50k a good wage. In life in general, I'd be more than happy with 50k a year.

Latest

Trending

Trending