The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
was your instructor in the car with you? It will be you vs the examiner and because they have actual driving experience they probably won't do anything about it.
Even if you did win the appeal, you would only get your test fee refunded and not get an automatic pass

Nope, each of the three tests i didn't want him. I'm definitely having him in the car next time. A refund or even just a reservation for a test in the coming weeks is all i want. I'm not waiting 2 months so i can pay £70 again.
Reply 3981
I failed my first driving test on Wednesday for being too close to a parked car on a fairly narrow road with parked cars on both sides when a van decided to drive past me. I was already committed so the van driver should have waited and I'm so angry because I made sure to slow down to compensate for that happening and so the van could pass safely. The rest of the test went otherwise well, I did mess up gears and signalling a few times so got a few minors but other than that I thought I had passed. When I pulled back into the test centre and heard the words "Sorry that you haven't passed" I was devastated, my instructor had to drive me home because I cried so much 😞

I can't help but overthink it, even my instructor herself said that by the sounds of it my examiner was being very harsh and if I get the same examiner on my next test she'll come in the car with me. I'm so gutted because it's costing my parents more money and I feel guilty about it.

I dunno, I feel like some examiners are also really reluctant to pass 17 year olds like me. Oh well, nothing I can do about it and I'm really hoping that my next test in a month's time goes smoothly. I feel better now I've had a little rant about it, aha.
Original post by Wishli
I failed my first driving test on Wednesday for being too close to a parked car on a fairly narrow road with parked cars on both sides when a van decided to drive past me. I was already committed so the van driver should have waited and I'm so angry because I made sure to slow down to compensate for that happening and so the van could pass safely. The rest of the test went otherwise well, I did mess up gears and signalling a few times so got a few minors but other than that I thought I had passed. When I pulled back into the test centre and heard the words "Sorry that you haven't passed" I was devastated, my instructor had to drive me home because I cried so much

I can't help but overthink it, even my instructor herself said that by the sounds of it my examiner was being very harsh and if I get the same examiner on my next test she'll come in the car with me. I'm so gutted because it's costing my parents more money and I feel guilty about it.

I dunno, I feel like some examiners are also really reluctant to pass 17 year olds like me. Oh well, nothing I can do about it and I'm really hoping that my next test in a month's time goes smoothly. I feel better now I've had a little rant about it, aha.

That is extremely harsh and just makes me believe even more that there are many other factors that affect the test. I felt like a sack of **** after my first too but after failing my 2nd i didn't care that much that i failed my 3rd because i'm not blind to the examiners being biased against 17 year olds, males or females depending on who they are and generally how their week is going.
Original post by yilmaz33
Nope, each of the three tests i didn't want him. I'm definitely having him in the car next time. A refund or even just a reservation for a test in the coming weeks is all i want. I'm not waiting 2 months so i can pay £70 again.

Definitely take him next time, it helps when you have disputes like this time
Definitely take him next time, it helps when you have disputes like this time

I absolutely will :smile: next test i will pass i just feel so out of place without a license amongst my friends.
I absolutely will :smile: next test i will pass i just feel so out of place without a license amongst my friends.

Don't stress about your friends or anything :smile: But being positive is a good attitude to have! Be excited for your test
Don't stress about your friends or anything :smile: But being positive is a good attitude to have! Be excited for your test

I just won't tell anyone I am doing my test.
Original post by Minecraft27
I just won't tell anyone I am doing my test.

Thats good, but with you, you need to stop being worked up over your friends passing and you haven't yet. Just relax and enjoy learning and it'll come to you naturally
Failed for the 3rd time yesterday, sent an official appeal about it that would explain it best.

20th March 2015. Application reference 322 808 805 17.Time: 14:05. Name of examiner: A.WheelerDriving license number: HELET906267M99MJDear Sir/MadameToday I took my practical test in Chelmsford Hanbury Road and was failed. I was given a single minor for normal driving in the “positioning” sector. The failure was a serious in “traffic signs” which was given for apparently not stopping at a solid white line at a T junction. The reason i am appealing is because i am certain that i did stop, observe and carry on perfectly fine. The examiner said that i had drove over it very slowly and not stopped however he would have intervened and stopped the car himself to show that i had failed to stop if that was the case. I am very disappointed in his decision to fail me for the solid white line for the aforementioned reason and especially since i got only a single minor and when i questioned about that minor mistake at the end he could not remember when i had made the apparent mistake. It was my 3rd practical test, the first two i fully accept where my mistakes were made however i have reason to believe that the examiner had failed me for not putting on my handbrake at the solid white line something that is absolutely not required to do because he had a motive to fail me for whatever reason especially because he could only give me a single minor in which he told me he couldn’t provide details of it as he could not remember. At the end he told me “you are the best driver i have had today” which further illustrates my point that failing me was extremely harsh on something that is so disputable to be a mistake let alone a serious to fail me. I would like to appeal the decision to fail me for the reason i have described.Yours faithfully,Yilmaz Heleteli

you cant appeal based on something that is subjective, you can only appeal if the test wasn't carried out within set standards. even if they did entertain your appeal (which they wont, even for a second) the decision wont be overturned to magically be a pass, you've failed, its done and dusted, you'd just get a free re test or a refund if you weren't going for a test again.

Your appeal, much like your test will be a fail.

but a few points, an examiner wont necessarily stop the car if your go over a stop line without stopping, unless there was immediate and imminent danger.

the examiner has absolutely no motive to fail you, he doesn't know you, a pass or fail doesn't affect him / her in any way, shape or form.

you claim an examiner couldn't remember a single minor, I call complete BS, they do this every day, they could if needed to, recite every single thing that happened during the test, could probably in all likelihood mentions things that you weren't even aware of, like what kind of cars were following you and for how long, where they left, how long you were stopped at particular junctions, whether a cat ran across the road, you get the idea.

The fact you make such an accusation against people that are a million times more experienced than you, who do this for a living day in and day out, whose livelihood relies on being impartial, who have a wealth of experience and training to back them up, just screams that you're acting childish, and cant face the fact you've failed three times :angry:

Its absolutely disgusting that you can call in to question someones integrity and accuse them of having some kind of motive for failing you.
That is extremely harsh and just makes me believe even more that there are many other factors that affect the test. I felt like a sack of **** after my first too but after failing my 2nd i didn't care that much that i failed my 3rd because i'm not blind to the examiners being biased against 17 year olds, males or females depending on who they are and generally how their week is going.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess you think whether you take the test on a friday afternoon will dictate the pass too.

Or whether the examiner go his leg over the night before.

Comedy gold, absolute comedy gold.

You've failed your tests because you haven't met the low standard of driving required to pass the test, just face facts instead of whinging and making accusations about how its all so unfair.
Reply 3990

It's so annoying to think with a different examiner I might have passed :/ I really think it's incredibly unfair when examiners do judge on other factors, it should be 100% on how well the person is driving. The fact that makes it more irritating is the cost to the person that's having to sit the test, £62 a go is really not cheap. I feel like they probably fail people on purpose to make more money which is bull. But oh well, what's done is done and I'm just going to have to make sure my next test goes as perfectly as possible. At least now I'll be more aware when I'm going down roads with parked cars on both sides
(edited 9 years ago)
Guys I have my third test today and I might actually be sick I'm so nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilysullivan_
Guys I have my third test today and I might actually be sick I'm so nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you do? :smile:
I posted exactly 2 weeks ago about taking my third test and yep, I failed. perfect drive, no minors, and after a year of learning I suddenly go blank and forget how to reverse round a corner. I thought it was a lot sharper than it was and just headed straight for the kerb. There was no fixing it, and I begged him to let me re-start it and he said nope.

So irritating failing for something I have never had a problem with. Damn nerves! Got a cancellation and am going in for it again tomorrow, and I'm nervous as I haven't even driven the bloody car since I failed.

Please keep every finger and toe crossed for me...it's been over a year and I am sick to death of driving lessons and tests! :frown:

Original post by GROGERS
I posted exactly 2 weeks ago about taking my third test and yep, I failed. perfect drive, no minors, and after a year of learning I suddenly go blank and forget how to reverse round a corner. I thought it was a lot sharper than it was and just headed straight for the kerb. There was no fixing it, and I begged him to let me re-start it and he said nope.

So irritating failing for something I have never had a problem with. Damn nerves! Got a cancellation and am going in for it again tomorrow, and I'm nervous as I haven't even driven the bloody car since I failed.

Please keep every finger and toe crossed for me...it's been over a year and I am sick to death of driving lessons and tests! :frown:

Really hope you pass this time!! :hugs: Try to enjoy the test and think of it as a driving lesson so you don't get too nervous but stay focused :smile:
Original post by FreshGarbage

What happened?
Original post by FreshGarbage

:hugs: what happened?
Got my fourth (yes, fourth) test today. Started the day not really nervous but it's piling up as I'm just under an hour away from going on my lesson before the test.

It's just every test so far it's been something different that I've gone wrong, it's not my driving I just panic or end up rushing... I know I have to slow down but I can't. It's just the intimidation of the driving instructors mixed with my horrible nerves.

I just don't have the motivation to do it again even though I NEED to drive in order to be able to work and basically live my life.

Wish me good luck guys, I'm hoping not to be posting in this thread again!
Original post by alexforyou
Got my fourth (yes, fourth) test today. Started the day not really nervous but it's piling up as I'm just under an hour away from going on my lesson before the test.

It's just every test so far it's been something different that I've gone wrong, it's not my driving I just panic or end up rushing... I know I have to slow down but I can't. It's just the intimidation of the driving instructors mixed with my horrible nerves.

I just don't have the motivation to do it again even though I NEED to drive in order to be able to work and basically live my life.

Wish me good luck guys, I'm hoping not to be posting in this thread again!

Good luck!! Really hope you pass this time :hugs: Let us know how you got on
Try to just take some deep breaths and try to enjoy the drive :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending