The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Juno
Most bikes don't have hazard lights :rolleyes:

Or show any form of warning signal that they have broken down instead of texting?

Anyway, not too be rude, but we are all human - and show emotion
also I did not actually yell abuse at them.

so therefore there is no moral high ground here.

I was just emphasisng how annoying it was by stating I could of yelled at them.
Failed my second driving test today, only got three minors but my reverse round a corner went epically wrong #fail

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by French_115
Failed my second driving test today, only got three minors but my reverse round a corner went epically wrong #fail

Posted from TSR Mobile

What happened with the reverse around a corner?
Reply 4263
Original post by mcgreevy1993
Or show any form of warning signal that they have broken down instead of texting?

Anyway, not too be rude, but we are all human - and show emotion
also I did not actually yell abuse at them.

so therefore there is no moral high ground here.

I was just emphasisng how annoying it was by stating I could of yelled at them.

You said you would have stopped to yell abuse if you weren't on your test, which shows what a nice person you are.

You need to change your reaction to such situations, because that's why you failed.
Reply 4264
Original post by pickles_mix
I posted on here last week but nobody replied to me...:frown: I start my intensive driving course today. I'm not exactly nervous, but I'm a bit worried for my test on Friday. I learnt to drive in a newer Ford Fiesta about 2years ago, but haven't really driven since, apart from with my dad in a run around old fiesta. My Instrcutor for the crash course has a new ford fiesta, so at least I'll be familiar with the car. Any tips? I'm driving for 5 hours each day for 5 days, is this better than having weekly lessons? Also does anyone know what happens if you fail an intensive course? Would they book you a retest or what? This course was expensive so don't want to waste it:-(

How did the first 5 hours today go?

I didn't do an intensive course but about 4-6 hours a week over 4 weeks. I think the breaks allowed me to regroup and think which areas I can improve on for the next lesson.

As for what happens if you fail probably best to ask your instructor?
I posted on here last week but nobody replied to me...:frown: I start my intensive driving course today. I'm not exactly nervous, but I'm a bit worried for my test on Friday. I learnt to drive in a newer Ford Fiesta about 2years ago, but haven't really driven since, apart from with my dad in a run around old fiesta. My Instrcutor for the crash course has a new ford fiesta, so at least I'll be familiar with the car. Any tips? I'm driving for 5 hours each day for 5 days, is this better than having weekly lessons? Also does anyone know what happens if you fail an intensive course? Would they book you a retest or what? This course was expensive so don't want to waste it:-(

I haven't done an intensive course so I don't have any advice about them in particular, I also couldn't say whether they were better or worse, you say you learned to drive before so I would imagine depending at what stage you are at you have a good base to sort of refresh and top up your skills.

with regards to what happens if you fail your test at the end of the course I would imagine every crash course company are different, I know some offer a free second test, some don't. That's information you can only find out from the company/ your instructor.

How did your first day go?
Original post by Juno
You said you would have stopped to yell abuse if you weren't on your test, which shows what a nice person you are.

You need to change your reaction to such situations, because that's why you failed.

I passed my test first time actually. If you'd bothered to read the post instead of picking out things to become all mighty over you may have actually noticed that.

It's called emphasising the point of being angry, when people say "I could of cried when the examiner came in" it doesn't mean they would of physically done it. they are over showing the emotion.

It's a bloody forum with people discussing informally their experiences with driving unless you work for the DVLA, then I can't imagine you have much power bar telling me these are reasons I didn't pass my test (when I actually did)
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
What happened with the reverse around a corner?

I ended up on the opposite side of the road, it had never happened to me before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with your next test, and just practice reverse around a corner a bit more between tests. :smile:
Original post by Beanss123
I haven't done an intensive course so I don't have any advice about them in particular, I also couldn't say whether they were better or worse, you say you learned to drive before so I would imagine depending at what stage you are at you have a good base to sort of refresh and top up your skills.

with regards to what happens if you fail your test at the end of the course I would imagine every crash course company are different, I know some offer a free second test, some don't. That's information you can only find out from the company/ your instructor.

How did your first day go?

It went okay thank you! Few minor points, but considering it's my first lesson with an instuctor in over 2 years Im pretty chuffed! Did turn in the roads within the first few hours :biggrin: and ok thanks for the info, I dont want to asks my instructor what happens if I fail because then I seem unconfident and negative lol :smile:
Original post by az08
How did the first 5 hours today go?

I didn't do an intensive course but about 4-6 hours a week over 4 weeks. I think the breaks allowed me to regroup and think which areas I can improve on for the next lesson.

As for what happens if you fail probably best to ask your instructor?

They were okay thanks :-) feel like I've learned a lot and am more aware of what's going on! It's like lots of info been crammed in my head but today I've woken up and feel as though I remember mistakes and what not to do :-) we'll see how today goes!
I failed my 4th test today,5 minors and 1 major,was going around the roundabout and missed the exit so I went back round but went into the wrong lane,all the minors I had this time were completely different to my last 3 tests,I think it's luck on the day and what route you get,the route I got today were defiantly more difficult then any others I've had before,feel like giving up now!
It went okay thank you! Few minor points, but considering it's my first lesson with an instuctor in over 2 years Im pretty chuffed! Did turn in the roads within the first few hours :biggrin: and ok thanks for the info, I dont want to asks my instructor what happens if I fail because then I seem unconfident and negative lol :smile:

But your instructor is the only one who can inform you of the procedure, I don't think asking what you get as part of the package is seeming like you don't have confidence, it's asking what exactly you are paying for, which you aren't sure of. Obviously it's up to you but nobody else will be able to tell you.

However, i am glad you enjoyed your first day, good luck again today :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hollyburfoot
I failed my 4th test today,5 minors and 1 major,was going around the roundabout and missed the exit so I went back round but went into the wrong lane,all the minors I had this time were completely different to my last 3 tests,I think it's luck on the day and what route you get,the route I got today were defiantly more difficult then any others I've had before,feel like giving up now!

Sorry to hear that :frown: there is definitely an element in luck involved with the test, but I think generally when you repeatedly fail there is something, whether it be a lack of confidence, nerves or simply needing more practice. For me nerves and a lack of confidence in my decisions let me down, and on the test I passed I had full confidence in the decisions I was making.

Maybe practice roundabouts with multi lanes more? From all different entrances and taking different exits so you know where you are going. Was it one of them spiral roundabouts that sort of throws you out and feeds you into the lane?
Also, please please don't give up, you are absolutely capable of passing your test, it's just getting around what is stopping you from doing so, I know each time you fail knocks our confidence, but you have to go into the test believing today is the day you'll pass.

Do do you have a car you could get private practice in?
Original post by laur a
Crossing the line at a traffic light which I did because of the lady huffing
I love how people love to "pass the buck" for their failures. How on earth can a passenger exhaling force you to commit a moving traffic offence?

The law is quite clear. There are even diagrams in the highway code. You stop before the stop line, not on it, not several feet past it. Your foot on the brake pedal determines where the car stops, not whether the lady huffs, puffs or blows the house down.
I taken my test on the 21st of april an alot of people had confidence in me an i also did an thought to myself just treat it like a normal lesson but 20 mins to the end it went wrong as my nerves kicked in an i managed to over come that an thought i was doing well but i failed 2 serious faults an 1 minor the serious faults was staying in a right hand lane for a few minuits an stopping at a red traffic light as u carnt stop at those ones but dint realise an the minor was a steering fault but its made me more aware for my the next one which is 2nd of june :smile:
Original post by Sueann hewitt
I taken my test on the 21st of april an alot of people had confidence in me an i also did an thought to myself just treat it like a normal lesson but 20 mins to the end it went wrong as my nerves kicked in an i managed to over come that an thought i was doing well but i failed 2 serious faults an 1 minor the serious faults was staying in a right hand lane for a few minuits an stopping at a red traffic light as u carnt stop at those ones but dint realise an the minor was a steering fault but its made me more aware for my the next one which is 2nd of june :smile:

What do you mean you can't stop at them?
Original post by Advisor
I love how people love to "pass the buck" for their failures. How on earth can a passenger exhaling force you to commit a moving traffic offence?

The law is quite clear. There are even diagrams in the highway code. You stop before the stop line, not on it, not several feet past it. Your foot on the brake pedal determines where the car stops, not whether the lady huffs, puffs or blows the house down.

You do realise that people on this thread are learners/ learners who have just failed their test. It may sound like passing the buck to you, but a lot of that is due to lack of experience, and not being as aware on the road. When you are nervous people huffing at you doesn't help, and can cause you to make mistakes, it's called being human.

A woman huffing wouldn't cause an experienced driver to change where they stop because they have confidence in what they are doing, a less experienced learner driver doesn't always have that self confidence and it can cause them to do things that in hindsight weren't the right choice. I don't think that's so hard to understand.
Original post by laur a
Failed my test today. Pretty sure its because of the bitchy examiner lady. She kept huffing and puffing and it really put me off. Ended up with 4 minors and 2 majors, the second major because I was a bit pissed with the lady, lol.

Nothing an examiner can do can ever put you at ease aha. But huffing sounds annoying.
I'd relate huffing to me doing something wrong...so I'd panic more of they huffed!

I kept asking my examiner if I failed, then he was like "just carry on with the test"
And I was like...I've totally failed
Then I relaxed Ahaha

Latest

Trending

Trending