The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I failed 3 tests in short succession a quarter of a century ago as a snotnosed 17year old. Can't remember the first 2 but the 3rd was a bloodbath, still makes me wince.. The examiner had to break for me as I pulled out in front of an oncoming car at a busy junction, would have been a head on collision had I been alone, nerves had gone by this point, then the instructor had to grab the wheel to prevent me hitting a parked car on the way back to the test centre (Palmers Green, North London), despite the horrific errors he still made me go through the test questions at the end before saying well Mr Mitchell you've obviously failed!. After that I gave up. For 25 years.

This year a break in work gave me some time, so I got the theory test done, then booked some lessons with a local instructor. It felt better, my original instructor was horrific, constantly belittling my progress telling me i was never going to pass, I hated every minute of driving, I never felt in control and the constant droning form the instructor was energy sapping. Honestly, if you have an instructor that you dislike then change them. Anyway I booked a few lessons with a local instructor who was very good, a proper teacher. Then booked an intensive 12 hour with test. The driving was fun, I actually looked forward to going out.

First (or fourth) test was in Sidcup which was unfortunately a bit too far from me to practice properly, we'd drive an hour to Sidcup then spend next to no time there before it was time to go back, Sidcup has a couple of very large multi lane roundabouts that are daunting if you've never seen them before, not great to experience them for the first time on the day of your test.. Anyway, test day came, not that nervous until shortly before the test. Due to the lack of driving on the test routes I ended up on a very large unfamiliar roundabout within the first 10 minutes - serious observation fault for not looking when exiting the roundabout. 6/7 minor faults... Still gutted, felt a bit pissed off that the instructor had not got me familiar enough. Anyway, I book another test - Hither Green this time. My heart falls when i discovered it has the 6th lowest pass rate in the country.

Test day comes. Today, unbelievably nervous, I've done major presentations, had big panel job interviews but this feels worse. 2 hour lesson before hand on the test route. Test is at 1.08, instructor informs me that its a good time, quiet. Drive time comes and the nerves seem to abate a little, I drive well, steady. No rushing. Until I make a bit of a hash of the reverse park, shaving the curb. Examiner is different though he looks at me a few times as If to say calm down, even makes a quip about the "poor clutch". I'm convinced I've failed again, as its a good 7-8 minutes in the manouvre. I feel crestfallen, I barely remember the rest of the test, totally uneventful. We get back at the test centre, he needs a few minutes for his paper work, calls over my instructor and delivers the news. "You've passed". I am gob smacked, but the feeling is quite extraordinary. The though of doing that again.... I still can't quite believe it, only 2 minors - one for stopping in a restricted parking area and a minor on the reverse park. I am 42 years old and thought i'd never hear those words.

Advice? Don't give up, obviously. Get as many hours as you can on the test routes, this is very important. Get an instructor to tell you where previous failures have occured, there are 2 spots on the Hither Green test that are consistent failure spots as there is not very intuitive left hand turn before a dead end, and another with a faded junction marking. Practice major roundabouts. If your instructor is a tosser then ditch him/her and get another one. Repeat over - safe and steady., safe and steady, safe and steady when you're out on the test.. One tip that worked for me - if the car has a clock hide it, it will torture you and take your concentration away, a watched pot never boils and all that....! I was lucky, the examiner was very experienced and another more officious instructor may have been less forgiving on the manouvre.
I failed my first test today, I was gutted. I remember to check my mirrors (which I sometimes forget when signalling) and I failed on traffic lights. Gutted I have to wait so long to sit my test again :frown: 24th June ffs
Original post by LeighKA
I failed my first test today, I was gutted. I remember to check my mirrors (which I sometimes forget when signalling) and I failed on traffic lights. Gutted I have to wait so long to sit my test again :frown: 24th June ffs

That's a bit of a bugger of a time away, but just use the time wisely to practice as much as possible, and hopefully you'll pass next time!
Yes, I'm hopeful for next time, although I am keeping an eye out for cancellations that aren't that far away :smile:
Original post by mobbsy91
That's a bit of a bugger of a time away, but just use the time wisely to practice as much as possible, and hopefully you'll pass next time!
Original post by LeighKA
Yes, I'm hopeful for next time, although I am keeping an eye out for cancellations that aren't that far away :smile:

Yeh, it's worth doing that as they do pop occasionally!
I failed my test exactly two weeks ago due to touching the kerb during a turn in the road manoeuvre.
There was a cancellation for today so I booked it.
I failed today during the parallel park because I didn't do it within two car lengths (more like 2.5-3).
I did it perfectly but I must admit I did know I was out but not by a lot, I thought they'd give a bit of leeway!
I have exams in May so I think I'll rebook for June/July.
Third time lucky let's hope!
Now that's a bad one. Clearly your fault. But sometime examiners don't penalise you for the handbrake if you genuinely intended to put it down and no fault of yours it stayed up. It's happened to me twice. Think it was the car. Vauxhall corsa
Original post by Laurenmae
I failed my test exactly two weeks ago due to touching the kerb during a turn in the road manoeuvre.
There was a cancellation for today so I booked it.
I failed today during the parallel park because I didn't do it within two car lengths (more like 2.5-3).
I did it perfectly but I must admit I did know I was out but not by a lot, I thought they'd give a bit of leeway!
I have exams in May so I think I'll rebook for June/July.
Third time lucky let's hope!

Both of those times will help make sure you don't make those mistakes again to be honest, so good luck with your third when you do it!!
I failed for the third time too today! I did a lot more yoga and took kalms and felt much more confident and ready but I got 8 minors and just 1 serious major for a left reverse, I hit the kerb and almost a tree because I rush when there's lots of cars and other learners behind me. But can only try again! I'm sure you passed in the 4 years since that post!
Hubby failed his first test at Birmingham South Yardley. Apparently examiner is really strict. Took him on a dual carriage way 3x! Failed him because when on a dual carriage there was slow moving traffic & he never took the right lane to over take. Why would he over take when at the end of the road his going to turn left anyway.. i think it's ridiculous. Only had 4 minors. Instructer said other examiner would have passed you as it could get put down as a minor. But this 1 was a bit extra strict.
(edited 7 years ago)
5th attempt tomorrow ! Have spent about £3,000 on lessons plus at least 2 years of lessons after being ripped off. So need to pass I can't afford any more lessons.... Only got 1 minor last time and failed for not going at traffic lights (God knows why)!!!!
Original post by Mummy2eden
5th attempt tomorrow ! Have spent about £3,000 on lessons plus at least 2 years of lessons after being ripped off. So need to pass I can't afford any more lessons.... Only got 1 minor last time and failed for not going at traffic lights (God knows why)!!!!

Good luck! :biggrin:
Cancellation test finder website. If you register with them they will find you a test and keep offering cancellations to you. Fee is £18. Only criteria is you must have a test booked. They change any cancellation offer you accept. I had my test on Weds but was meant to be 3rd May. This was also a cancellation date they found me as my test was booked for mid June.

Site is very easy to use and great service. I was offered 16 different tests before I chose Weds one. You only get 14 mins or about that in which they hold the test for you. After that time it's probably been taken by someone else.

I passed 👍 First time with 2 minors 👍👍
Original post by cat2280
Good luck! :biggrin:

Best of luck. Driving lessons aren't cheap. 👍
Reply 5774

good luck.. I passed on the 6th time.. just keep on going x
I just failed today my first test :/ 2 major and 6 minors. One was my fault for sure... the engine stalled after I tried to move off - and few cars were behind me. Second fail was beacuse of one stupid women- she was crossing the road just next to mini roundabout and she did put her foot on the street and waiting for me to stop- so I did, but the car was still on the roundabout ...so it wasnt good place to stope( this is what my examinator said). Next test is 1st og August !!!! But I paid to Cancelation test finder webside and I hope they will find something for me soon
Failed my very first driving test today, 13 minors and 2 serious. (One was turning in the wrong lane, the other for straight lining a roundabout)
The nerves absolutely wrecked me, kept doing stupid things like forgetting to indicate and not going into first gear when I stopped
Oh well better luck next time hopefully :smile:!
Original post by sumeyyatontus
Failed my very first driving test today, 13 minors and 2 serious. (One was turning in the wrong lane, the other for straight lining a roundabout)
The nerves absolutely wrecked me, kept doing stupid things like forgetting to indicate and not going into first gear when I stopped
Oh well better luck next time hopefully :smile:!

Ahh that's annoying! Just lots of practice will really help make those things become so natural that even with the nerves you won't make those mistakes!!

You gonna look for cancellations, or just wait a bit, have more lessons, and then retake?
Original post by mobbsy91
Ahh that's annoying! Just lots of practice will really help make those things become so natural that even with the nerves you won't make those mistakes!!

You gonna look for cancellations, or just wait a bit, have more lessons, and then retake?

The next availabilities at my test centre are towards the end of June/beginning of July, so I'm probably just gonna book one for then and just leave it how it is so I don't have to be messing about with my driving test in the middle of my A levels :smile: and hopefully get in another 6 or so lessons before the test just to keep myself refreshed and practice a bit more on the things I messed up!

I know I can do it just need to make sure nerves don't get the better of me, and hopefully because I've had the experience of the test I'll be less nervous next time! I think I rushed things a little bit yesterday because of nerves as well so just need to remember to take everything slowly to avoid making mistakes :biggrin:
Original post by sumeyyatontus
The next availabilities at my test centre are towards the end of June/beginning of July, so I'm probably just gonna book one for then and just leave it how it is so I don't have to be messing about with my driving test in the middle of my A levels :smile: and hopefully get in another 6 or so lessons before the test just to keep myself refreshed and practice a bit more on the things I messed up!

I know I can do it just need to make sure nerves don't get the better of me, and hopefully because I've had the experience of the test I'll be less nervous next time! I think I rushed things a little bit yesterday because of nerves as well so just need to remember to take everything slowly to avoid making mistakes :biggrin:

Fair enough, that sounds like a good plan to be honest!!

And yeh, the test would've been really really good for your next one as you know more what to expect in the test conditions!!

Latest

Trending

Trending