The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It took me 3 goes to pass, really wanted to give up after the second fail but at that point so much money had gone on lessons that I couldn't stop with nothing to show for it.

First time, perfect drive, ballsed up my parallel park and got a major for it.

Second time, got about 8/9 minors and 2 majors - one for not getting out of the way of a car-ambulance, though I maintain that there was nowhere for me to go, and the other major was an accumulation of minors for driving too close to parked vehicles.
I think a big factor in how badly I did in this one was that I got the "nasty" examiner at my test centre. I don't think he marked me unfairly but just the fact that I knew he had a reputation for being horrible made me so nervous.

Third time, I got the same examiner as I got the first time, and got one minor (for hitting the kerb on a roundabout, lol!) but it was at the start of my test and he said he could tell that was getting the nerves out of the way.

Tip - 9:17AM is the best time of day to do it IMO :biggrin:
I'm so depressed about driving now. I wish I could just pack it all in and write it off as a bad idea, but I need to pass in order to keep my job and I've already spent SO much money on it. I really don't know what to do.
Reply 582
Had my driving test today morning after about 50 classes and ...

I FAILED! :frown:

Couldn't believe my luck when I got the easiest route in my town. 2 majors for going too close to parked vehicles on the left and 1 for gear ballsup. I was so comfortable with the drive until that point.
Just failed.

One major for going when I shouldn't have done at a roundabout (which pisses me off because I've always been too cautious at roundabouts) and one turning right onto a dual carriageway badly.

It was a really weird junction where I had to go left then cross through a narrow gap in the central reservation and while I was listening to him explain it I ballsed up my position and had to weave back across. Really should have just turned left instead but didn't think at the time :/
Don't give up guys, It's horrible learning and it feels like passing that test is the bane of your life, but when you eventually pass, it was all worth it in the end!

My advice is to take everything slowly, there's no rush! I failed twice before because I was so hell bent on making sure i didn't get done for hesitance.

The Examiner does not have a stopwatch. take it slow, get the examiner talking, you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by eswarpr
Had my driving test today morning after about 50 classes and ...

I FAILED! :frown:

Couldn't believe my luck when I got the easiest route in my town. 2 majors for going too close to parked vehicles on the left and 1 for gear ballsup. I was so comfortable with the drive until that point.

You got a major for messing your gears up? That seems harsh, what did you do?

They reckon people who pass second time are safer drivers anyway, personally I think the knock to your confidence from failing the first time tends to make people a better driver :smile:
Reply 586
Original post by storminateacup
You got a major for messing your gears up? That seems harsh, what did you do?

They reckon people who pass second time are safer drivers anyway, personally I think the knock to your confidence from failing the first time tends to make people a better driver :smile:

Well, turned right into a 2 lane city road. She asked me to turn left. I checked the left mirror and saw a big red lorry heading down. I thought - I am on the 2nd let me move to 3rd to get the car moving better. Indicate, move left, clutch down, hand on gear shift, pushed it up and then I heard a brake squeeling somewhere behind, got distracted and pushed the gear into the first. The car jolted, obviously, I heard a scream come out of the examiners mouth, panicked. "2nd Gear!" she prompted. I pushed it into 2nd.

Now that I look at it, it seems a bit of ballsup :frown:
Reply 587
Original post by kkate1212
I have my test coming up and I am so nervous. I've already failed because of my nerves I dont want this to happen again :frown:
I find it hard to relax on the test so end up making stupid mistakes

I know how you feel! It seems like even if you know how to do everything, your nerves are what makes you fail. The mistakes I made on my test were ones I had never done before in my life and they were so stupid and careless. Good luck on your next one!!! :smile:
Original post by eswarpr
Well, turned right into a 2 lane city road. She asked me to turn left. I checked the left mirror and saw a big red lorry heading down. I thought - I am on the 2nd let me move to 3rd to get the car moving better. Indicate, move left, clutch down, hand on gear shift, pushed it up and then I heard a brake squeeling somewhere behind, got distracted and pushed the gear into the first. The car jolted, obviously, I heard a scream come out of the examiners mouth, panicked. "2nd Gear!" she prompted. I pushed it into 2nd.

Now that I look at it, it seems a bit of ballsup :frown:

Awww, it's all a matter of circumstance. For instance if you'd been on a quieter road with nothing behind you, even a big jolt might only have got you a minor. Sounds like you just need a few more lessons, maybe to address the passing too close to parked cars (though these can just be the circumstance too sometimes!) and I'm sure you'll pass next time. :smile:
Original post by WayneB
SAM_0334.jpg
Failed my driving test yesterday! I feel bad about it, i had a perfect drive apart from 1 moment which got me 2 serous faults. All my faults marked on that sheet happened all at once. Going up a STEEP hill the car felt like it wasnt going to make it... there was a car in front that stopped suddenly so i slammed on my breaks which was fine at that point... I put the hand break up and then i thought i put it into first but it went into 3rd ( Ive never ever done that before but thats just luck for you !!) I tried to pull off but stalled obviously, but what happend here was i rolled back SLIGHTLY which you cant do when theres a car behind you. Got it into first and got to the top of the hill.

Anyway, you win some you loose some but whats p*ssing me off now is that i have to wait untill the 2nd of OCTOBER!!!!!!!! Im going to be sat here all day and night intill i get a cancellation lol

the worst thing is the wait, especially when things like that happen i had her in third thinking it was first out of a junction, luckily i had the clutch real slow and my gas down hard so when she started chocking i quickly hit first and got a minor for gear selection, i failed 2 before i finnaly passed, it is to do with the examiner aswel as on my pass test i was going to miss my "independent drive" turnoff on a roundabout and my examiner told me which i dont think they are supposed to do so in a panic i indicated switched lanes and took the third exit when i thought it was the 4th and diddnt get marked for it
Reply 590
Ive failed so many times now, got another test next week! Tbh I just don't want to do it.
Reply 591
Original post by WayneB
SAM_0334.jpg
Failed my driving test yesterday! I feel bad about it, i had a perfect drive apart from 1 moment which got me 2 serous faults. All my faults marked on that sheet happened all at once. Going up a STEEP hill the car felt like it wasnt going to make it... there was a car in front that stopped suddenly so i slammed on my breaks which was fine at that point... I put the hand break up and then i thought i put it into first but it went into 3rd ( Ive never ever done that before but thats just luck for you !!) I tried to pull off but stalled obviously, but what happend here was i rolled back SLIGHTLY which you cant do when theres a car behind you. Got it into first and got to the top of the hill.

Anyway, you win some you loose some but whats p*ssing me off now is that i have to wait untill the 2nd of OCTOBER!!!!!!!! Im going to be sat here all day and night intill i get a cancellation lol

you really shouldnt be failed for this, even experienced drivers sometimes mix up 1st and 3rd, esp when you arn't paying attention. If it was a steep hill you had no chance not stalling, the best you could have done was a super quick shift into first. Im curious why you rolled back tho, since the car was in gear :P
Reply 592
I got 2 serious on 1 roundabout other than that everything was perfect... so demotivating ..
Original post by sunny103
Ive failed so many times now, got another test next week! Tbh I just don't want to do it.

How many times have you failed? :hugs:
Reply 594
I failed today :frown: It was my first test. I swear it was the worst drive of my life! I'd had the perfect lesson beforehand with my instructor but as soon as I sat in the car with my examiner, my nerves shot up! I was asked to do a bay park as soon as my test started which kind of threw me off a little but I managed it. Then 5 minutes later I was exiting a dual carriageway to a slip road at about 60 mph, suddenly decided this was the perfect time to go down in gear (whaaaat was I thinking!) and ended up putting all my concentration into changing gear instead of slowing down so I went whizzing toward the sharp bend on the slip road and yeah, knew I'd failed there. It's the worst feeling when you know you've failed but you have to continue! I'd just completely lost all motivation. My examiner even told me to pull over when it was safe so I could have a breather. haha I thought it couldn't get much worse, then I stalled at a junction twice! The first time it was a minor because I recovered pretty quickly and there were no cars behind me..the second, a major because there was a car behind me. UGH. So annoyed with myself because I know I'm a good driver but I really messed it up today! And my theory test runs out soon..and no tests available until October. Awesome. Phew. Feels good to let that out! :rolleyes:
Reply 595
Original post by amyshamblesxx
How many times have you failed? :hugs:

Alot! it's really embarrassing and its always a different thing each time!
Original post by sunny103
Alot! it's really embarrassing and its always a different thing each time!

I'm the same! It's really disheartening hearing you've failed again. Don't worry, we'll get there!
Reply 597
I passed my test today at wood green in london , with 4 minors , just keep at it you will definately pass
I have my second test coming up really soon. I feel sick thinking about it because I really need to pass to start work! ARGH!

Latest

Trending

Trending