The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone have any tips for picking themselves up and carrying on?

Ive failed 3 tests this year and I'm really struggling with it - not to mention the cost.
I have absolutely no confidence left and its left me feeling incredibly down about the whole thing. I avoid conversations about it because everyone tells me to just try again - but easily said when you've already passed.

I don't feel like I'm getting any better with driving the longer it goes on, i feel like I'm getting worse. I let things get to me and get panicked over stupid things now - my poor driving instructor is so patient. The thought of having another driving lesson or test literally makes me want to cry.

I really want to get past this and improve but I'm so stuck at the moment - any help would be appreciated!
Original post by Sheilaflora90
Does anyone have any tips for picking themselves up and carrying on?

Ive failed 3 tests this year and I'm really struggling with it - not to mention the cost.
I have absolutely no confidence left and its left me feeling incredibly down about the whole thing. I avoid conversations about it because everyone tells me to just try again - but easily said when you've already passed.

I don't feel like I'm getting any better with driving the longer it goes on, i feel like I'm getting worse. I let things get to me and get panicked over stupid things now - my poor driving instructor is so patient. The thought of having another driving lesson or test literally makes me want to cry.

I really want to get past this and improve but I'm so stuck at the moment - any help would be appreciated!

I know how you feel! i have my next test soon so hopefully I'll pass.

One factor keeping me going is if I give up, the money id already spent would have been wasted.

Secondly(may not apply to you), but public transport is awful, well not awful just so far away. 1 mile to the nearest bus stop and 9 miles to the nearest train station. if I cant drive, I will be stuck in my tiny home town forever

Thirdly, my cousins husband, who is one of the best lawyers in the country, and the smartest person I know, needed EIGHT tests to pass.

Fourth, if my 81 year old grandma can do it, i can do it!

Finally, I will not allow my sister, whom is five years my younger, pass before me haha

if you do still struggle, have tried an automatic and see if its different? I know that an automatic licence will be restricting but at the same time, its better than no licence!

Hope that helps
(edited 7 years ago)
I have my third test in 3 weeks and I already feel ill with nerves.

First test I failed with 6 minors and one serious for giving way to traffic when I shouldnt have, second test I failed with 2 minors and 1 serious for nearly going down a one way street (oops) because I panicked.

This next test is my last chance before I move to America for a year. If I don't pass i'll have to do my lessons all over again when I come home as well as my theory as it will run out while i'm away. Been having lessons for close to a year now (first test in February, second in May as test waiting times are so long).

Does anyone else feel like they will never pass? I just can't see it ever happening and its so disheartening failing isn't it? :frown: can't wait until this is all over!

If I fail the end of this month i'm thinking of trying to do a residential crash course before I go away (beginning of Nov), has anyone ever done one of these?
Reply 5983
I have some advice for those struggling to pass. I passed first time with 1 minor (for passing too close to a parked car, I was fully aware there was enough space for me though.. ) . I had three 3 hour lessons. Then a 2 hour lesson before my test, all on consecutive days. I had 3 years motorbike road experience so I was comfortable on the roads already, I would have required more hours otherwise. But I passed my motorbike tests first time too by having all the lessons compressed into a week (15 hours, plus a few hours riding on my own as a learner ) without having ridden before. I feel that doing it this way really makes you feel at home with the vehicle, and the extended lessons give you more scope for varied drives, as well as giving you enough practice time in a single lesson to master a maneuver. Everything remains fresh and you don't have to spend the first third of the lesson relearning what you already did.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5984
Original post by ameehannah
Just failed for the third time. Was on the outer lane of a round about about to turn off when some lunatic from the inner lane pulled right in front of me, full speed, no indicators on and the instructor pressed the brakes just before I did. Absolutely gutted there was 5 minutes left of the test and I only had 6 minors. Because of another drivers inpatience and stupidity I failed 😩

Unfortunately there are a lot of idiots on the road, on your test you need to make sure that the examiner knows you can cope with them. You should always check your mirror coming off the roundabout anyway, there stands a reasonable chance of a cyclist being in the wrong lane. Still, I hope you don't have such bad luck on your next test.
Original post by SamUK
Unfortunately there are a lot of idiots on the road, on your test you need to make sure that the examiner knows you can cope with them. You should always check your mirror coming off the roundabout anyway, there stands a reasonable chance of a cyclist being in the wrong lane. Still, I hope you don't have such bad luck on your next test.

Haha well I failed again for stopping at lights that weren't mine oops 🙈
Had my test this afternoon... The fact I'm posting probably means you can assume how it went :/

I got SIX minors for going too slowly approaching a junction! Couldn't believe it, was trying to play it extra safe during the test and it ended up being the reason I fail!!

Also, out of interest, I heard getting 3 minors in the same category (ie 3 tickets under the S box for one thing) equals a major? Is that true?
Reply 5987
Original post by scientific222
I've got my test in 2 weeks and I'm not ready for it. The problem really is that the test could be in 2 months and I still wouldn't be ready for it. It turns out that with every driving lesson there is always some repeated problem that I have, whether I solve it or not doesn't matter because in the next lesson I will develop another stupid habit that is worthy of a fail. My instructor is really good but it feels like I'm not really progressing with this. I just have to admit that driving is something that I'm really naturally not good at :angry:

Sounds like your lessons may be too short and too sparse. If you're having to get settled back into driving each lesson, you probably need a change of strategy. If you take a longer lesson, proportionately you will have much longer driving when you are relaxed and dialed in, instead of trying to overcome everything you forgot from last time. Also the time taken driving to the test routes and back and the talking with your instructor etc is going to be proportionately less. The longer lessons will give you a more varied drive, and this will make you more familiar with reacting to the circumstances and the roads you are on, instead of trying to learn how to drive on a handful of roads. Also have your lessons on consecutive days, everything stays fresh, you don't have time feeling tense and anxious because next day you're right back in the car, it becomes routine and habit. Doing it this way is more expensive in the short run, and you need to find more free time. But you can go from not knowing at all how to operate a car to passing your test within a week, and in the long run it will save you money.
Original post by AdamCee
Had my test this afternoon... The fact I'm posting probably means you can assume how it went :/

I got SIX minors for going too slowly approaching a junction! Couldn't believe it, was trying to play it extra safe during the test and it ended up being the reason I fail!!

Also, out of interest, I heard getting 3 minors in the same category (ie 3 tickets under the S box for one thing) equals a major? Is that true?

Unlucky mate. Just remember next time, always drive the way you've been taught to drive - if your instructor wanted you to go slower when approaching junctions, he'd have told you so.

There's no set figure, contrary to the myth. It's totally at the examiner's discretion. If they see it as a bad habit that you keep repeating over and over and they think you need to go have some more lessons to stamp it out, they could mark the box 3 times and then fail you. On the other hand, in some cases you could have over 5 marks in the same box but they could be a bit different each time and be nervous mistakes that the examiner doesn't see as major issues.
(edited 7 years ago)
I had the worst examiner ever and wanted to come here just to complain, haha. This was my second attempt, and on my first go I had a lovely instructor, but I failed because I honestly wasn't ready at all. I was hoping to get her again because she was so chill, and I knew I would pass with her because I was/am so prepared! My instructor had nothing for me to improve on and I was driving, I felt really confident, I actually thought my driving was really good and thought I had passed, and that says a lot because I never feel confident...about anything. haha.

But then, I got the worst test examiner. He failed me because apparently, my steering is "strange" and my instructor has no idea what he meant.

Then he said when I was parallel parking there was a car quite close behind me, like how is that my problem?? What did he want me to do? To go and tell the driver to f*ck off?? And the car was not close! I did the parallel park perfectly but he gave me a serious because there was a car behind me that I should have "taken more notice of"????

And to top it all off, he turned to my instructor and said "when she's moving off, she moves off like you and I would. You need to take it a little slower." Like????? How is it a fault if I'm driving like an instructor and a test examiner????

I'm so pissed. Mainly because it's a lot of money and I don't like wasting it because of harsh examiners when I know 100% that anyone else would have passed me -.-

Sorry for the long rant!
Failed my first attempt today and it was just as I pulled out of the test centre. I checked both ways and it was clear.so started to slowly when I looked right again mini was approaching quickly so I stopped as I was going right and would have cut her up, but then she stopped and that meant I failed because she saw me and stopped for me. I was barely onto the road and my driving instructor said if she hadn't have stopped I would have passed!
And then because I was getting more and more nervous I stalled 3 times and on the way home my instructor said, I didn't think you were so nervous but you haven't stalled for weeks!

I'm just disappointed as I'm back at uni next week and I'm not sure if I should find an instructor to do lessons with up there or not. I'm planning on doing my next test when I'm back at Christmas!
Original post by scientific222
I've got my test in 2 weeks and I'm not ready for it. The problem really is that the test could be in 2 months and I still wouldn't be ready for it. It turns out that with every driving lesson there is always some repeated problem that I have, whether I solve it or not doesn't matter because in the next lesson I will develop another stupid habit that is worthy of a fail. My instructor is really good but it feels like I'm not really progressing with this. I just have to admit that driving is something that I'm really naturally not good at :angry:

Completely agree!! I felt I was improving to start with, after my first test fail I started struggling with lessons. I was making stupid mistakes, making errors I had never done before I felt like I had hit a brickwall then jusr continued to sink lower!
Original post by AdamCee

My first test attempt I failed within minutes after majorly mucking up my bay park, but at the time I didn't think about it and just tried to carry on. Once I was out driving the examiner was like 'why are you driving so slow' (down a narrow winding road, with road works on my side and it was raining - but okay) and he said 'stop dawdling' and I was like I'm not I'm just driving and his response was 'You've failed anyway so I'm just trying to help' at which point my driving pretty much fell apart! Cheers mate! Rahhhh
Original post by luvdreamingx
I had the worst examiner ever and wanted to come here just to complain, haha. This was my second attempt, and on my first go I had a lovely instructor, but I failed because I honestly wasn't ready at all. I was hoping to get her again because she was so chill, and I knew I would pass with her because I was/am so prepared! My instructor had nothing for me to improve on and I was driving, I felt really confident, I actually thought my driving was really good and thought I had passed, and that says a lot because I never feel confident...about anything. haha.

But then, I got the worst test examiner. He failed me because apparently, my steering is "strange" and my instructor has no idea what he meant.

Then he said when I was parallel parking there was a car quite close behind me, like how is that my problem?? What did he want me to do? To go and tell the driver to f*ck off?? And the car was not close! I did the parallel park perfectly but he gave me a serious because there was a car behind me that I should have "taken more notice of"????

And to top it all off, he turned to my instructor and said "when she's moving off, she moves off like you and I would. You need to take it a little slower." Like????? How is it a fault if I'm driving like an instructor and a test examiner????

I'm so pissed. Mainly because it's a lot of money and I don't like wasting it because of harsh examiners when I know 100% that anyone else would have passed me -.-

Sorry for the long rant!

Sorry to hear you failed your test, how many faults did you get in total?
It seems like the examiner gave most faults on your manoevres and moving off, you have to do these slower and look all around, particularly with parallel park and bay parking where you need to look around and back every couple of seconds as they don't want you to run anyone over irl!
With steering, if you haven't been taught the pull push technique, this video will help:

Good luck for next time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5994
Guess what? I failed my test today. 2 minors (think the examiner was being kind, though) and one dangerous. Sadly during my independent driving portion I failed to see the signs pointing towards the correct exit on a roundabout; by the time I finally saw it I went to move from the right hand lane to the left hand lane and completely failed to spot a car on that lane. I knew I had failed it straight away (examiner moved the steering wheel for me) and felt like a complete idiot and the most incompetent driver in the world. If it wasn't for the examiner, I would have caused an accident. :frown:

I was shivering from nervousness before the exam, don't expect that will change much on a resit. It was nice to hear from the examiner that they were impressed with my dual carriageway behaviour, which is something I really struggle with and thought for sure would lead me to fail the exam (I had to overtake HGV's and change lanes a few times which usually sends me into a panic during my driving lessons - but I guess I was already so panicked that it didn't matter this time!)

My two minors were for undue hesitation, which is something my instructor has pointed out many times and we have tried to correct during lessons, but it is a difficult one for me. Manoeuvres wise I did all of them prior to the exam and got them all in first time - got a turn in the road on a hill during the exam but it was a quiet road and it went well.

I have now joined the giant queue of people trying to rebook their exam for a decent date. The closest I could get it so far is in a little over 7 weeks' time, and that is a very long time to keep up with weekly lessons. I've only taken professional lessons so this will be expensive and I shudder to think I may fail the second time around for a similar lack of judgement. This isn't something you can practice your way out of, I don't think.

Sorry about the rant, I will now go back to the DVSA website in search of elusive cancellations. Good luck to everyone doing the same...
Original post by guywholikesjazz
I never thought I'd be so upset about failing my driving test, but when I got home, I had a good old cry.

Failed my test yesterday with 8 minors and 1 serious fault. The serious was for accidentally trying to pull off in 3rd gear while waiting at a roundabout, thus stalling the car. I was so devastated because it was halfway through the test and I was doing alright. From that moment I KNEW I'd failed, which made the whole thing much worse.

The examiner was quite a friendly guy and it was such a shame I wasn't able to pass. I found the whole thing pretty nerve-wracking, as would most people.

Also, he must've asked me to park in a safe and convenient place about 5 times, and sometimes it was hard to see where the best place was!

Was sooooo livid that such a ridiculously silly error (that I've NEVER done before) will cost me so much more time and money.

In my second I pulled out the roundabout in third gear since I was meant to go into first I didn't push it across to left far enough so I ended going from gear 2 to gear 3. I didn't stall but however it made some annoying clearky so I was given a minor but got a serious later on for touching the kurb during the corner reverse
Reply 5996
Original post by luvdreamingx

Sorry for the long rant!

If you are doing a manoeuvre, and you see another vehicle, you must stop the manoeuvre if you're likely to obstruct them, this is to acknowledge you have seen them and won't move into them. Then the other driver can either pass you, or wait for you to finish your manoeuvre, remember to check blind spots before moving again. Failure to stop, and acknowledge that they are there, if you are obstructing them is an automatic serious fault and it wasn't just the examiner being harsh. Once you have passed your test, and are driving on your own, you don't need to stop while parking, just keep an eye out and don't crash into them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5997
Original post by Yrin
Guess what? I failed my test today. 2 minors (think the examiner was being kind, though) and one dangerous. Sadly during my independent driving portion I failed to see the signs pointing towards the correct exit on a roundabout; by the time I finally saw it I went to move from the right hand lane to the left hand lane and completely failed to spot a car on that lane. I knew I had failed it straight away (examiner moved the steering wheel for me) and felt like a complete idiot and the most incompetent driver in the world. If it wasn't for the examiner, I would have caused an accident. :frown:

You have two main problems here.

One is following directions. You need to be able to quickly read road signs and know how to follow them, whilst being able to still drive. It's not something that driving lessons tend to focus on but it is difficult for learners.
You can practice this at home. Go on google maps and type in Blackpool. Then follow the signs to the first place you see on the first sign you see - you'll have to navigate unknown roads so will have to focus on what the signs actually say, rather than preconceived ideas of where you're going. By reading more signs you'll get better and quicker at reading signs.

Your next issue is that you seemed to do an observation, but then didn't use the information that the observation gave you. You need to be more careful about looking and then seeing what is there, rather than just doing the observation to get a tick from the examiner (or avoid a minor).

If you do end up in the wrong lane it's better to go the wrong way and follow what your lane is doing. Your examiner can then give directions to get you back on the correct route, and may restart the independent driving section later.
If you have problems passing the the test, it means you're just not ready, and passing still doesn't mean that you are.
In fact, the only good systems are scandinavian one's- can't proove you can control a car in emergency situations, you'll not be allowed to drive in public.
I passed my 5th test yesterday with 4 minor faults. I honestly had the worst history of driving tests.

Test 1: I was literally 5 minutes into my test and I was approaching a fairly busy roundabout. I have no idea what I was doing, but I didn't even consider giving way to the cars already going round: I just kept plowing on. The examiner had to jump on the brakes at the last minute. Instant fail. I don't remember what my other faults were, but I don't remember it being that bad.

Test 2: I really let myself down for this one. I pulled out in front of someone at the exact same roundabout but wasn't as dangerous as before, I hit a curb when emerging from a closed junction with a stop sign as I was steering left far too much, and I stalled twice when driving on the other side of the road to overtake some parked cars. I was holding up all the cars behind me too. Several serious faults with quite a few minors along the way.

Test 3: I brought my instructor with me this time. I was terrified: I couldn't even answer the safety questions so I had 2 minors from the start. The test route involved going into a little housing estate with these horribly steep hills just before very tight junctions with parked cars everywhere. I had to stop because I didn't have enough power going up the first hill. It was so steep that you needed the absolute maximum biting point, on the verge of stalling, or else it wouldn't work. I tried 4 times, and I kept rolling back. I started hyperventilating and getting dizzy, and the examiner had to help me up the hill. I would have continued on for the experience of it but I had to pull over and jump out of the car... I proceeded to be sick in some poor person's garden. The examiner decided I was no longer fit to continue the test and the instructor drove us back.

Test 4: My drive was so much better than previous attempts. I had 2 minor faults with 1 major. I didn't have enough room to overtake a parked car and it turns out I should've given way. The examiner had to push the steering wheel away from the car. Another instant fail, but otherwise a very good drive.

Test 5: I took a 6 month break from driving as I was due to go travelling over the summer and would have had to wait over 3 months to get another test which was after I planned on leaving. I returned and took a 20 hour intensive driving course with a new instructor and in a completely different area. I still had a few issues (my previous test centre had been in a small town in a rural area, the new one was a town which was part of a main route into Glasgow's city centre), and I had to learn a lot. I had never even had to move lanes on a dual carriageway before. The new instructor could tell very quickly that I had never been confident in my driving and I really wasn't ready before. I dedicated the week I had to driving. I had the nicest driving examiner too. I passed no problem.

I think a lot of the time doing a lesson a week doesn't really cut it, especially if you fail once and try to go back to it. I always spent far too long refreshing myself on what I'd done the previous week. Don't try and rush yourself to the test if you don't feel ready. If there's ever anything you're not too confident on, fix it before thinking about a test. I live in the middle of nowhere and could get no form of public transport, so there was always huge pressure on me to pass.

If you can afford the money and the time, I'd highly recommend an intensive driving course, especially for people who have failed before or who have the pressure to pass quickly. Driving for a long period of time every day allows you to dedicate a lot more time at your test centre, and it allows you to get into the way of it a lot more. I even started to get slightly bored of it at times. You have a longer time to iron out problems over the course of the lesson, and you aren't waiting a week to go back and do it again. It's all still fresh in your mind, and it actually worked out cheaper for me to 20 hours intensive than it was to do an hour a week. If you've recently failed, a 6 or 10 hour course would probably be sufficient. It just seemed like a much more efficient way of doing things to me.

Good luck everyone! Don't give up!

Latest

Trending

Trending