The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spedere
Failed yesterday. Gahh. No minors, but some jackass coming onto a roundabout with no signal at about 30mph got me a serious when I pulled onto it. Annoying because I had such an easy route and everything else.

Exact same thing happened to me, most annoying thing ever :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1181
I failed my first attempt with only one minor! My major was stalling at a hill junction because my mind went blank and I forgot to gear down. That was it. Was so angry with myself I burst into tears!!!! I got a really easy route too with easy roundabouts (my worst fear) and aced my actual hill start and manoeuvre (left reverse around a corner).

I'm waiting for my work shifts before I rebook my test but don't know whether to stick with my current instructor to change to another my friend had. He's had a huge string of first time passes.

I've had about 50 hours of learning over 10 months.

What do people think?
Ok so I failed my first driving test today. Proper annoyed by it too. Basically everything was going fine, I did the parallel park and the examiner decided to raise her voice to remind me of the 2 car lengths she had requested at the beginning of the manovure, but as there was a driveway at 2 car lengths I went further back thinking I was allowed to park in front of a driveway. She didnt mark me down or fail me on this but I was pretty gutted she felt the need to shout at me for it. So I was put off, she asked me to move away when I was ready so I got ready and indicated right, looked over my blind spot and saw a mini coming behin pulling out into the road looking as if she was gonna drive round me so I stopped my move away, to be safe, but then the woman stopped behind me so then I pulled away. That's what she failed me on! I didn't think this was fair tbh. I admit I did leave my indicator on a bit long but I was obviously flustered after she was harsh with me. She also spent most of the test tutting and being short with me. So booking my next test tomorrow and hoping I get a different more polite examiner
I failed three times..
I was so nervous on every test that my leg was shaking too much that it wouldn't stay on the clutch properly - so yeah a stalled a couple of times for no reason.
I found the hardest reversing.
On my fourth go I finally passed, (I started learning to drive before a couple of my friends and they passed before me)

my helping hints are:
1. NEVER EVER GIVE UP! even if youu feel stupid and like you are never going to do it, carry on because you will pass. (I got to thank my family for making me stick and not give up)
2. DRIVING TESTS ARE ABOUT THAT 45 MINUTES!! Anything can happen during those 45 minutes, it maybe easy or it could be very hard, no journey is the same, you can't control what other drives are doing, and what is happening on the road. it is Luck to a point. ? I have many friends that passed that just had a lucky 45minutes, and are awful drivers.
3.CONFIDENCE IS THE KEY You wouldn't be doing a test if your instructor didn't think you could drive by yourself, your job is for 45 minutes to prove that instructor that you can drive this means be confident, show off (In a good way of course) that you are a perfect drive. even if it means acting.
SMILE be happy and make sure you have plenty of practice.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.
practice maneovers especially.
Original post by christine89j
Ok so I failed my first driving test today. Proper annoyed by it too. Basically everything was going fine, I did the parallel park and the examiner decided to raise her voice to remind me of the 2 car lengths she had requested at the beginning of the manovure, but as there was a driveway at 2 car lengths I went further back thinking I was allowed to park in front of a driveway. She didnt mark me down or fail me on this but I was pretty gutted she felt the need to shout at me for it. So I was put off, she asked me to move away when I was ready so I got ready and indicated right, looked over my blind spot and saw a mini coming behin pulling out into the road looking as if she was gonna drive round me so I stopped my move away, to be safe, but then the woman stopped behind me so then I pulled away. That's what she failed me on! I didn't think this was fair tbh. I admit I did leave my indicator on a bit long but I was obviously flustered after she was harsh with me. She also spent most of the test tutting and being short with me. So booking my next test tomorrow and hoping I get a different more polite examiner

Bad luck man :frown:

I remember my instructor saying once that if you indicate and other traffic stops for you, then you fail as you're disrupting the flow of traffic, it sucks, as I see drivers do this all the time but hey can't be helped. If the rest of the driving is fine, then you should be great next time! And at least now you know what the test will be like :smile: good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just failed my 4th one today ha! I'm a typical lads lad who likes footy and sport and that, and generally did well at test and things in school! **** knows what happens on test day because my instructor (my third one since starting in summer 2012) is quality and is insistent that I'm good enough to pass. My first test I only got 8 minors and 1 fail for going too slow, my second test I managed to get refunded because my instructor had an eye operation but I managed to find an instructor that was willing to take me the day before, albeit in a car I'd never driven before. FAILED MISERABLY although in my defence I alsoo had a broken hand and therefore a fingertip length cast on haha... Failed on reversing round the corner and mirror checks today. I'll never pass but I'll just keep feeding them the money in the hope I do. Also, for all 4 test I've had the same (and apparently the strictest) instructor! Don't know if I'm searching for excuses but that's dodgy haha. So anyone reading just remember you're not as **** as me, don't worry and we will all be driving one day! (Thinking of requesting a different examiner next time.)

In a bit lirdssss
Original post by EvertonFC
Just failed my 4th one today ha! I'm a typical lads lad who likes footy and sport and that, and generally did well at test and things in school! **** knows what happens on test day because my instructor (my third one since starting in summer 2012) is quality and is insistent that I'm good enough to pass. My first test I only got 8 minors and 1 fail for going too slow, my second test I managed to get refunded because my instructor had an eye operation but I managed to find an instructor that was willing to take me the day before, albeit in a car I'd never driven before. FAILED MISERABLY although in my defence I alsoo had a broken hand and therefore a fingertip length cast on haha... Failed on reversing round the corner and mirror checks today. I'll never pass but I'll just keep feeding them the money in the hope I do. Also, for all 4 test I've had the same (and apparently the strictest) instructor! Don't know if I'm searching for excuses but that's dodgy haha. So anyone reading just remember you're not as **** as me, don't worry and we will all be driving one day! (Thinking of requesting a different examiner next time.)

In a bit lirdssss

Don't worry pal, I failed 6 times and passed on my 7th! You WILL do it, I remember feeling exactly like you and believing I would never pass but you have to get yourself out of that mindset ASAP and have confidence in yourself :smile: :hugs:
Original post by amyshamblesxx
Don't worry pal, I failed 6 times and passed on my 7th! You WILL do it, I remember feeling exactly like you and believing I would never pass but you have to get yourself out of that mindset ASAP and have confidence in yourself :smile: :hugs:

haha! Thanks for the confidence boost, next time has got to be the time surely!
1st time - 6 minors - 1 major (Turned left from middle lane - why i did this, i don't know)
2nd time - 4 minors - 1 major (My reverse turn ended up in the middle of the road, each time I 'corrected' it)

Hoping for 3rd time lucky :smile:
Reply 1189
Original post by irishgal94
1st time - 6 minors - 1 major (Turned left from middle lane - why i did this, i don't know)
2nd time - 4 minors - 1 major (My reverse turn ended up in the middle of the road, each time I 'corrected' it)

Hoping for 3rd time lucky :smile:

I failed my third test for EXACTLY this. Tip: if you look into your mirror and you're far away from the curb, turn the steering wheel left to drive closer and then straighten up. I don't know how I did it but, I managed to pass my 4th time despite having to do reverse round the corner. Honestly, I was sweating in the 4th test knowing I failed for it last time. As long as you correct it, you will be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can't believe it, I failed today :cry:
My driving in general was ok but I had one major which caused me to fail, there were two side roads joining up to eachother and I somehow missed the give way markings on the road and just kept going, the examiner had to break for me. This was at the beginning of the test as well :frown:. I guess I was just nervous
The next available test time is April which is so annoying, I will probably forget half of it if I 2 months. Anyway I have booked my next test for the beginning of April, hopefully theres a cancellation so I can make it a bit earlier.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1191
Failed my first test with 1 major and 4 minors :frown:

also, does anyone find the examiner talks to them like they're a 5 year old child? I mean I know i'm 17, and he was like 40 but talking to me like that, made me even more nervous.

No, but mine put on a super posh accent when he was telling me what to do and said "thank you" after everything :tongue:
Reply 1192
does anyone find the examiner talks to them like they're a 5 year old child? I mean I know i'm 17, and he was like 40
What did he say, exactly? Did the age gap really make a difference in the content of the conversation?

talking to me like that, made me even more nervous.
How can pleasant chat possibly make you nervous? Wouldn't you be more nervous if there were a stony silence? They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Failed my driving test on Tuesday because I drove into a bus lane! Annoying! Booked it again!

4 minors, 1 serious!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I passed my test first time because im awesome :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's even worse, when you pull up in the bay after the test and smiling cause you think you've passed...

'im sorry but unfortunately you did not pass'
.. URM WHAT?!

so yeh, i failed with 4 minors, and the serious was because i didn't look right switching lanes.....
Original post by sarah.gregory
I failed three times..
I was so nervous on every test that my leg was shaking too much that it wouldn't stay on the clutch properly - so yeah a stalled a couple of times for no reason.
I found the hardest reversing.
On my fourth go I finally passed, (I started learning to drive before a couple of my friends and they passed before me)

my helping hints are:
1. NEVER EVER GIVE UP! even if youu feel stupid and like you are never going to do it, carry on because you will pass. (I got to thank my family for making me stick and not give up)
2. DRIVING TESTS ARE ABOUT THAT 45 MINUTES!! Anything can happen during those 45 minutes, it maybe easy or it could be very hard, no journey is the same, you can't control what other drives are doing, and what is happening on the road. it is Luck to a point. ? I have many friends that passed that just had a lucky 45minutes, and are awful drivers.
3.CONFIDENCE IS THE KEY You wouldn't be doing a test if your instructor didn't think you could drive by yourself, your job is for 45 minutes to prove that instructor that you can drive this means be confident, show off (In a good way of course) that you are a perfect drive. even if it means acting.
SMILE be happy and make sure you have plenty of practice.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.
practice maneovers especially.

Yeah guys take advice off someone who failed 3 times (Y)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ravina_04
it's even worse, when you pull up in the bay after the test and smiling cause you think you've passed...

'im sorry but unfortunately you did not pass'
.. URM WHAT?!

so yeh, i failed with 4 minors, and the serious was because i didn't look right switching lanes.....

I remember my second test when I thought I'd passed. I'd pulled up in the bay and looked down at the mark sheet. There was no marks in the serious or dangerous boxes. Started smiling to myself thinking I'd passed. Then the examiner ticked a serious box whilst adding up the minors!!!!

Good luck. You'll pass eventually.
Original post by Matty12345
Yeah guys take advice off someone who failed 3 times (Y)

Posted from TSR Mobile

you're a ming you lad, taking the morale high ground because you've passed your test first time. We'll all be driving soon one day anyway..
Original post by Advisor
What did he say, exactly? Did the age gap really make a difference in the content of the conversation?

How can pleasant chat possibly make you nervous? Wouldn't you be more nervous if there were a stony silence? They're damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I prefer it if the examiner didn't speak to me whilst driving because i would be distracted but each to their own.

Latest

Trending

Trending