The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
What and it makes you a better driver if you pass early?

Yes it does.
Original post by tinkertailor
Yes it does.

I'm glad I passed my second one. If I had passed after my first I'd be a terrible driver, I probably could've done it, if I had had a different test route, but I'm glad I had to do a second test, I felt so much better about it and now I've had my own car for a couple of days I feel happy about driving.

There are things that if the examiner really wanted to he probably could've failed me for.

I didn't deserve to pass my first, but bad luck could've made me fail my second, and who says I couldn't have had bad luck again to fail again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes it does.

To be fair, people fail for various reasons. Some of the scenarios they encounter are just down to pure luck, like an idiot cutting into your lane unexpectedly or someone not indicating. Loads of things happen.

A driving test generally is about having a mix of luck and driving skill on the day, rather than one extreme.
Original post by SortYourLife
I'm glad I passed my second one. If I had passed after my first I'd be a terrible driver, I probably could've done it, if I had had a different test route, but I'm glad I had to do a second test, I felt so much better about it and now I've had my own car for a couple of days I feel happy about driving.

There are things that if the examiner really wanted to he probably could've failed me for.

I didn't deserve to pass my first, but bad luck could've made me fail my second, and who says I couldn't have had bad luck again to fail again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think the general view has always been that the those who pass their test second time round tend to be the best drivers. Though I personally passed first time round and since last year I haven't had any problems when driving :cool:

My friend is taking his 5th practical test next week and it's been a little over two years since his first lesson :biggrin:
Original post by James A
To be fair, people fail for various reasons. Some of the scenarios they encounter are just down to pure luck, like an idiot cutting into your lane unexpectedly or someone not indicating. Loads of things happen.

A driving test generally is about having a mix of luck and driving skill on the day, rather than one extreme.

If someone cuts into your lane, fine but then you should be able to react to that in the correct way. But not indicating is just plain stupid. It's the basics you're taught from the very first day.
If someone cuts into your lane, fine but then you should be able to react to that in the correct way. But not indicating is just plain stupid. It's the basics you're taught from the very first day.

He means someone else not indicating. I've found it's quite an issue at roundabouts.

I'm talking about others, not myself!
Original post by James A
I'm talking about others, not myself!

I was speaking generally too :biggrin:
Anyone who fails their driving test more than twice should be embarrassed. Sorry but that's how it should be :biggrin:

You're being a douche, sit down and STFU :damnmate:
Anyone who fails their driving test more than twice should be embarrassed. Sorry but that's how it should be :biggrin:

This is ridiculous. The majority of people I know who can drive took their test at least twice & they're probably better than those that I know who passed first time.
People can fail for all sorts of reasons as well, so it's pretty unfair to judge people on how many times they do their test 😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Emily115
This is ridiculous. The majority of people I know who can drive took their test at least twice & they're probably better than those that I know who passed first time.
People can fail for all sorts of reasons as well, so it's pretty unfair to judge people on how many times they do their test 😒

I completely agree. I only know one person who has passed first time and they've actually had an accident within 3 months of driving. I'm not at all suggesting all first-time passers are like this, but the first-time pass elitism is ridiculous. If you've passed, you've passed. Anyone should be proud of that, no matter how long it takes. As pass rates show, the driving test is actually a pretty difficult thing to succeed at! So if an examiner thinks you're road-worthy, you are. Doesn't matter if it is first time or tenth.
Original post by xev bellringer
You're being a douche, sit down and STFU :damnmate:

I'm not a douche and I won't 'stfu' :cool:

Original post by Emily115
People can fail for all sorts of reasons as well, so it's pretty unfair to judge people on how many times they do their test

Posted from TSR Mobile

Passing first or second time is great. Failing 3,4 5 times etc is just pathetic :biggrin:
Reply 1592

Passing first or second time is great. Failing 3,4 5 times etc is just pathetic :biggrin:

I passed second time but was very close to failing because my leg was shaking throughout the test, I've never had that experience before but I guess the pressure of pass your test or lose £100 and the stress of failing for the 2nd time was overwhelming. I could have easily failed due to nerves even though my driving at all other times is decent. In the end, I had 4 minors.

In my opinion, no matter how many lessons/tries you've had, unless you've driven on your own for at least 10 thousand miles you will not be able to deal perfectly with every possible scenario that could occur during your test. So being able to pass the driving test with a few hours of practise is luck based especially when doing your test in busy towns, where people are rushing and doing stupid things all the time.

Passing your test does not suddenly mean you are a good driver. Someone who has driven for 100 hours with an instructor and failed 5 tests could very easily be just as good as a driver or even better as someone who passed after 20 lessons and had 80 hours of independent driving.
Hi I just failed my test for the first time :frown: the examiner said I was too fast on approach to a junction and that I didnt stop or look enough to the left but I'm pretty sure I slowed down in plenty of time and I put the handbrake on at the junction so I must have stopped and then I looked to the left, saw there was nothing coming, then moved off and appologised to the examiner because the engine stuttered a bit so it was a bit jolty because I was going TOO SLOW so how can he say I was going too fast and didnt stop? I got no minors apart from that :frown: should I appeal??
Original post by lucy0110
Hi I just failed my test for the first time :frown: the examiner said I was too fast on approach to a junction and that I didnt stop or look enough to the left but I'm pretty sure I slowed down in plenty of time and I put the handbrake on at the junction so I must have stopped and then I looked to the left, saw there was nothing coming, then moved off and appologised to the examiner because the engine stuttered a bit so it was a bit jolty because I was going TOO SLOW so how can he say I was going too fast and didnt stop? I got no minors apart from that :frown: should I appeal??

:frown:

Sorry to hear about that. I failed first time the other day, but use it as a learning curve. Which box on the test report did you get a serious for?

I could pick loads of drivers who failed 3, 4, 5 times etc who are much better than you (who have been driving for just as long as you).

It's not to say that it's good to fail so many times, but you just can't seem to see both sides of the story.
Original post by James A
:frown:

Sorry to hear about that. I failed first time the other day, but use it as a learning curve. Which box on the test report did you get a serious for?

observation but if I stopped and put on the handbrake and then checked before moving off how can he accuse me of not stopping? I dont really know what to learn from that :L what did you fail for?
Original post by dada55
I passed second time but was very close to failing because my leg was shaking throughout the test, I've never had that experience before but I guess the pressure of pass your test or lose £100 and the stress of failing for the 2nd time was overwhelming. I could have easily failed due to nerves even though my driving at all other times is decent. In the end, I had 4 minors.

In my opinion, no matter how many lessons/tries you've had, unless you've driven on your own for at least 10 thousand miles you will not be able to deal perfectly with every possible scenario that could occur during your test. So being able to pass the driving test with a few hours of practise is luck based especially when doing your test in busy towns, where people are rushing and doing stupid things all the time.

Passing your test does not suddenly mean you are a good driver. Someone who has driven for 100 hours with an instructor and failed 5 tests could very easily be just as good as a driver or even better as someone who passed after 20 lessons and had 80 hours of independent driving.

This.
Thats so unlucky! Its so stupid how we're not meant to make even the smallest mistake when we're all so nervous! I know I never drive as bad as I did in my test but they i dont get how your meant to when your that nervous! bay park with your leg shaking is not exactly easy :wink:
Original post by lucy0110
observation but if I stopped and put on the handbrake and then checked before moving off how can he accuse me of not stopping? I dont really know what to learn from that :L what did you fail for?

Failed for changing lanes at late notice before a roundabout. Also got a serious for going over the speed limit, I honestly should have practiced more on the test routes. Both serious faults were on my independent driving route and I made them within seconds of each other :sigh:

Also, for the same serious, I got a minor for lane discipline, one minor for indicatiors and one minor for observations when putting my indicator on at the last minute to switch lanes. I had no option to, otherwise I would have ended up on the motorway and as a learner, you aren't allowed on the motorway. Ashame about the test route, tbh. Apart from that, got two minors for the parallel park, I hate that manoeuvre the most. So because of the lane mishap, I would have ended up with two minors :/

Latest

Trending

Trending