The Student Room Group

Question about Student Accommodation

I've accepted an unconditional offer from the University of Glasgow to study Politics/Economics but I'm really not sure about accommodation: whether to live at home or move to Glasgow.

I live in Helensburgh with my parents at the moment and will be 18 by the time university starts. Total travel time to and from the university would be around 2 hours by train.
But I suffer from really bad anxiety so I don't know how I'd do on my own if I moved away.

So, to cut to the chase, I was curious as to whether there was any way I could 'try out' the accommodation at the start of university - and be able to get out of it and return home and commute if I couldn't cope.

I just feel like it COULD be just what I need - to really force myself to overcome my anxiety. But at the same time, I know contracts are extremely hard to get out of - making my 'trial period idea' pretty unlikely.

Anyone have any experiences themselves or advice?
Reply 1
I stay in Murano and its probably been one of the greatest years I've had here. As far as I'm aware they only offer a choice of paying for the full year up front or paying for a full year by direct debit. Neither of these really helps your situation however if you ring their accommodation line you could get more detailed information about it.

I think living away for a while might help because you'll be mixing with so many people and you'll make friends so much quicker. Especially since most of the people who live at home that I know here didnt really enjoy freshers week at all because they cant go out at night which is a big part of your first week here and definitely a key part in meeting your peers.

Hope this helps.

edit: if its the number of people or noise/parties that would be causing the anxiety then you could possibly check out the quieter halls like Queen Margaret but they're generally more expensive
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Can you part hard at Uni being a muslim?
Reply 3
Of course, why not?
Reply 4
nah cos i thought that at uni to be cool you had to drink and goon mad nights out!

Quick Reply

Latest